Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2008, 01:57 PM

Default Happy New Year!

I assume you are having fun in this last day of the year!

Itís snowing in New Jersey. A few days ago the temperature was 65įF. Who knows what it will be tomorrow? Perhaps itís climate changeÖ

The problems we face pile up around the world. ďCrisisĒ should be the nick name we give to this ending year. And yet, people say in every crisis there is an opportunity.
I watched a movie with two of my kids yesterday. It was the movie Wall-E. Have you seen it? It looks like, at least in the movie, humanity returns to Earth after centuries of devastation and even hopelessness at times. An innocent, romantic story reminiscent of the 50ís is in the background.

I enjoyed the movie very much. It reminded me about an essential aspect of humanity that has keeps us going in spite of adversity. Itís our capacity to endure when change isnít possible, to keep looking for a solution to our problems even when we donít see it, to reject what is destroying us, and to change when we see the way. But most importantly, it is the bond that unites us that gives us strength to go on. What did you expect? I'm part of that generation...

And a new year will start soon. A new President will be inaugurated in a couple of weeks. And as bad as things look right now, there is hope for a better, more just and compassionate world.

Sometime today I will sit down and will come up with my New Yearís resolutions. Iíll try to be humble and realistic and not make the list too long. Iíll also try to remember to cheer up a bit. And Iíll watch another movie. What else?

I wish you all a Happy New Year!!!

PS: Secret: my first New Year resolution will be to take life a little "lighter", whenever possible.