Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2008, 03:43 PM

Default Re: WSJ: Obama's Executive Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneystones View Post
"Community organizers and radical education activists." Let me be the first to say, "OH NOES! Not those guys!"

Seriously though, the WSJ opinion piece told me they were "radical" several times and "far-left." But as for exactly what was so radical, we get Ayers supported "resistance to American racism and oppression" and that "External partners like the South Shore African Village Collaborative and the Dual Language Exchange focused more on political consciousness, Afrocentricity and bilingualism."

Maybe I'm just a crazy leftie, but I don't see the problem. I can't see that opposing racism is all that radical, unless the radical part is believing that Americans can be racist? Political consciousness is not a bad thing to teach kids I don't think. Bilingualism? For me that falls explicitly in the "good thing" category. Afrocentrism? Not enough information for me to judge. Sure there's some internet craziness that can be found, but I wouldn't object to teaching that Homo sapiens evolved in Africa nor to teaching about the impact of Egypt in the culture of the Mediterranean.