Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Matt Yglesias: Creating Jobs by Cutting Wages

Quote:
Originally Posted by handle View Post
Not only do I not have much of a dog in this fight, I'm fairly out of my depth discussing Moral theory. But it is just theory after all, right?
Yes. The theory is in all likelihood insufficient to describe all moral factors involved. What is not disputable is the consistency to which respondents react to stimuli and the empirical data cross tens of thousands of participants.

Quote:
Looks like only 5 to me, and a pretty subjectively rated qualities at that IMO.
It was amended to 6. You'll need to look beyond Wikipedia.

Quote:
I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but with all due respect, and from my point of view, this all seems a less than adequate metric for such a complex field.
Inadequacy does not equal irrelevance.

Quote:
Not only that, the subjects themselves provided the data ("Both groups gave care the highest over-all weighting"), not an independent and unbiased observer.
From what I understand, people were given surveys to fill out. Please comment on how you think these surveys should be better administered.

Quote:
And my impression (just a feeling, now) is that you are subconsciously using this as some sort of proof of the moral inferiority of the "other".
Then you're reading too far into what I've said. I presented facts, not preferences for a particular set of morals. I wouldn't describe any moral beliefs as inherently inferior or superior. We do not choose our birth, our parents, our country, our era. You are born into a society with a given set of morals that then indoctrinates you within it. Haidt's claim is that liberals lack 2 of the 6 metrics.

The metrics may be inadequate to explain everything about human moral psychology. What is clear, however, is that differences exist between liberals and everyone else.