Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2012, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Means and Ends (Joshua Cohen & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapeye View Post
I appreciate Josh’s point that an argument for public education doesn’t need to be grounded in the idea of the arc of history. Individual freedom is promoted by public education...........

It can be argued that allowing systems to function without regulation is the healthy and natural way to proceed, and that sooner or later they will balance themselves. Perhaps, but the same can be said about any kind of social contracts intended to stabilize the context in which we live. Without any such agreements, we are back to dog eat dog.
Public education was traditionally the way of integrating immigrants also, the second generation, making sure that whatever message they got at home or from their religions, which might be fine, was supplemented by teaching about the values and expectations of the new country.

I noticed that large organizations, government, not sure about private, go through swings back and forth between centralization and decentralization, between tighter and looser control, less and more internal regulation. They always go too far one way and it results in some disaster, a huge financial scandal or a kind of paralysis, and then they move the other way. I, personally, think that systems overall have gone to some extreme resulting in the financial crisis. But I think the problem was too loose control by government, not too much, which is the opposite, of course, of what many people say.

I always want to ask libertarians why they seem to think the only source of power in a modern western democracy is government. That seems wrong to me, like something that was true of much more totalitarian or centralized systems of the past. I think of government as one source of power among a number, and it's the only one we all get to have a say in, so it doesn't make much sense to me to try to cripple it. That seems like an anti-democratic idea. I would say the point would be more to make sure it works as well as possible for all of us, as it should, and to make sure it's not overly beholden to any special groups, etc., as it may be if politicians are too much dependant on money to ever get elected.