Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 07-22-2011, 12:39 PM
BhTV staff

Default The Week in Blog: Heating Up (Bill Scher & Kristen Soltis)

Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hume's Bastard Send a message via Skype™ to Hume's Bastard
Default We Feel the Same Way!

Bill Scher needs to remember that the camera is recording: Is Bill dropping off and grimacing because of all that talk of numbers, or Soltis' windy, winding monologue?
Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 PM

Default Re: We Feel the Same Way!

Probably because of the monologue. I don't blame him. Upon reflection, I'm not sure how I managed to get any oxygen.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 PM

Default Kennedy's Health Issues

I don't think Michele Bachmann is qualified to be president in any case. All that aside, the subject of debilitating migraine headaches is NOT a personal issue between her and her doctor. If it could possibly interfere with her performance in office, it is fair game for discussion.

The case to look to is John F. Kennedy. I think Bill said JFK's health problems did not affect his performance. Wrong. They had a major impact on the national security of the United States. I agree with Tom Ricks assessment that Kennedy was the worst president of the 20th Century. Maybe he was not the worst, but he has by far the biggest gap between perception and reality.

How does his health come into play? The Vienna Summit with Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev on June 4, 1961. Khrushchev came away with the impression that Kennedy was a lightweight that he could push around. Which led to the Cuban Missile crisis. Why did Khrushchev have this impression - because Kennedy was high as a kite:
Quote:
Part of the reason for Kennedy’s rather poor performance may have been the combination of drugs he was taking for back pain and other ailments. Following the prescriptions of Max Jacobson (informally known as ‘Dr. Feelgood’), Kennedy was injecting himself with a drug cocktail that included hormones, steroids, animal organ cells, vitamins, enzymes, and amphetamines. Among the possible side effects were hyperactivity, nervousness, impaired judgment, and wild mood swings.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hume's Bastard View Post
Bill Scher needs to remember that the camera is recording: Is Bill dropping off and grimacing because of all that talk of numbers, or Soltis' windy, winding monologue?
1. I highly doubt anyone cares, but the truth is I am hunched over slightly trying to keep my head in the frame, and it's a little uncomfortable.

2. I'm pretty sure I bring about five windy, winding monologues to TWIB each week.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Scher View Post
1. I highly doubt anyone cares, but the truth is I am hunched over slightly trying to keep my head in the frame, and it's a little uncomfortable.
Point the camera up, Bill.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:44 PM

Default Re: The Week in Blog: Heating Up (Bill Scher & Kristen Soltis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen Soltis View Post
Probably because of the monologue. I don't blame him. Upon reflection, I'm not sure how I managed to get any oxygen.
Quote:

2. I'm pretty sure I bring about five windy, winding monologues to TWIB each week.
I'll say this: you two are a pretty genial pairing!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
I'll say this: you two are a pretty genial pairing!
hear, hear! They're both adorable.
But this 'pairing' thing...it puts me in mind of food and wine, not people.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Willard View Post
Point the camera up, Bill.
But sometimes when you point the camera up too much, the background looks oddly slanted. I'm trying to put aesthetics over personal comfort!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
But sometimes when you point the camera up too much, the background looks oddly slanted. I'm trying to put aesthetics over personal comfort!
That's why it's always best to do diavlogs while in downward dog.

:-)
Old 07-23-2011, 08:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hume's Bastard Send a message via Skype™ to Hume's Bastard
Default Re: Kennedy's Health Issues

I'm not extolling President Kennedy. Yet, Krushchev's misreading is the sort of thing that doesn't require drugs. And, it also plays into the cult of personality, albeit the flip side. Watching "Thirteen Days" or reading Graham Allison's famous article is enough to correct the perception, that presidents act alone. As the figurehead of a nation whose decision - with advice from others - it is to select advisers and deal with careerists and the other branches, a president like Bachmann would do irreparable harm to the nation's image.

Last edited by Hume's Bastard; 07-24-2011 at 01:06 AM..
Old 07-23-2011, 08:04 PM

It's a herculean task to make number-crunching interesting. I think details are the wrong way to go. I forget what pundit said it, but I agree budgets are moral documents.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Long-winded isn't the issue; it's whether you bring the fire. I accept this feature for what it is, and I applaud both you and Soltis for bringing a lot of references. I just like a little more back-and-forth, civil yet spirited. It's a tall order but bhtv has provided it in the past. I particularly like my lefties tough.

For the record, though, I think Ezra Klein does the most competent job with the numbers.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 AM

Bill's statement that the subjects who were accused of impropriety during the climategate scandal were cleared of wrongdoing makes it sound like perhaps there was ever doubt they would be. Bill's statement doesn't do justice to just how vapid the majority of the accusations were. That several commissions were convened to investigate these accusations instead of ignoring or mocking those making them shows the power of the Faux News alternative universe.

Last edited by Starwatcher162536; 07-24-2011 at 10:59 AM..
Old 07-25-2011, 11:53 PM

But the Only-Bill-Scher-Has-This camera angle you normally use is part of the distinctive evolved aesthetic of TWiB!