Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM
cognitive madisonian cognitive madisonian is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 648
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
This is beyond pathetic. Did you people glean nothing from this insightful diavlog? The point that Glenn and John were making - ad nauseum - is that matters like SherrodGate and GatesGate, in the grand scheme of things, don't matter. Yet here you are, trying to reargue the Breitbart thing.

Please, move on to more important things. Or just re-listen to the diavlog. Or actually, don't re-listen: just listen. I'm not sure you did the first time.
It's a fine point to make but it should not be made while missing out on details revolving around the case.

I think it does matter, though. Far too many liberals have taken to defending Obama by resorting to calling his opponents racists. The vilification of Breitbart and Fox News in the wake of the Sherrod case is yet another illustration of this, as was the vilification of of the arresting officer in the wake of the Gates case.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 AM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
This is beyond pathetic. Did you people glean nothing from this insightful diavlog? The point that Glenn and John were making - ad nauseum - is that matters like SherrodGate and GatesGate, in the grand scheme of things, don't matter. Yet here you are, trying to reargue the Breitbart thing.

Please, move on to more important things. Or just re-listen to the diavlog. Or actually, don't re-listen: just listen. I'm not sure you did the first time.
niklkibong, whether Glenn and John believe any particular issue matters isn't dispositive, ya know? These things do matter in the context of contemporary politics. And the meta-issue - that is, the freedom with which some people (read Breitbart, e.g.) feel to assert anything whatever, regardless of facts; and whether anybody is going to push back with equal force - is extremely relevant to me. Liars thrive when everybody, except the people who believe them, ignores them. That's double plus ungood.
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 AM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatfur View Post
They are in both the short and the long version of her little speech.
Still haven't figured that link-thing?
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Salt Salt is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 344
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quoting reedbong:
This is beyond pathetic. Did you people glean nothing from this insightful diavlog? The point that Glenn and John were making - ad nauseum - is that matters like SherrodGate and GatesGate, in the grand scheme of things, don't matter.
Yeah! What matters is besmirching your political opponents Alinsky-style at every turn. That's why the lord invented journolist! So every voter in the Bay Area can say, "I can see Russia from my house!" with a straight face, and change the subject every time someone mentions Van Jones. Don't kid yourself, lady. You hack it up just the same as Breitbart. He just doesn't try to pretend he's "objective". BTW, before TV there was no such thing as "objective" newspaper journalism, and post-internet there isn't any such thing either. Your cover is blown, better find some better rebuttals than sniffing "such things don't matter". Furthermore, if YOU listened to John and Glenn then you must be in a state of shock having your deepest tenets refudiated, so we'll cut you some slack.

Last edited by Salt; 08-03-2010 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Whatfur
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Time_Gumshoe View Post
So being part of a list-serv is worse then tarring someone as an accessory to a child prostitution ring when they were really calling the cops on O'Keefe's operation?

Where is the logic in that?

If you can find an instance of a journalist from the list-serv doing something worse in their work I'd love to see it.
One trick pony?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 AM
cognitive madisonian cognitive madisonian is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 648
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
niklkibong, whether Glenn and John believe any particular issue matters isn't dispositive, ya know? These things do matter in the context of contemporary politics. And the meta-issue - that is, the freedom with which some people (read Breitbart, e.g.) feel to assert anything whatever, regardless of facts; and whether anybody is going to push back with equal force - is extremely relevant to me. Liars thrive when everybody, except the people who believe them, ignores them. That's double plus ungood.
what do you mean by push back with equal force?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Big_Time_Gumshoe Big_Time_Gumshoe is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 47
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

I agree Breitbart is a master of taking black people out of context to tar them.

Glad to see we agree.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:46 AM
cognitive madisonian cognitive madisonian is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 648
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

oh dear, the requisite, unsubstantiated, accusation of racism.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:46 AM
nikkibong nikkibong is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,803
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
Quoting reedbong:
This is beyond pathetic. Did you people glean nothing from this insightful diavlog? The point that Glenn and John were making - ad nauseum - is that matters like SherrodGate and GatesGate, in the grand scheme of things, don't matter.
Yeah! What matters is besmirching your political opponents Alinsky-style at every turn. That's why the lord invented journolist! So every voter in the Bay Area can say, "I can see Russia from my house!" with a straight face, and change the subject every time someone mentions Van Jones. Don't kid yourself, lady. Your hack it up just the same as Breitbart. He just doesn't try to pretend he's "objective". BTW, before TV there was no such thing as "objective" newspaper journalism, and post-internet there isn't any such thing either. Your cover is blown, better find some better rebuttals than sniffing "such things don't matter". Furthermore, if YOU listened to John and Glenn then you must be in a state of shock having your deepest tenets refudiated, so we'll cut you some slack.
my deepest tenets were hardly refudiated. the diavlog pretty much preached to my personal choir. i have a big problem with oppression studies. i'm a big fan of roger kimball. i detest what 'sociology' and 'anthropolgy' have become -- little more than thinly veiled Misanthropy 101 classes.

so consider yo' ass refudiated.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Big_Time_Gumshoe Big_Time_Gumshoe is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 47
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Shouldn't you be writing in all caps?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:48 AM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
Quoting reedbong:
This is beyond pathetic. Did you people glean nothing from this insightful diavlog? The point that Glenn and John were making - ad nauseum - is that matters like SherrodGate and GatesGate, in the grand scheme of things, don't matter.
Yeah! What matters is discrediting your political opponents Alinsky-style at every turn. That's why the lord invented journolist! So every voter in the Bay Area can say, "I can see Russia from my house!" with a straight face, and change the subject every time someone mentions Van Jones. Don't kid yourself, lady. Your hack it up just the same as Breitbart. He just doesn't try to pretend he's "objective". BTW, before TV there was no such thing as "objective" newspaper journalism, and post-internet there isn't any such thing either. Your cover is blown, better find some better rebuttals than sniffing "such things don't matter". Furthermore, if YOU listened to John and Glenn then you must be in a state of shock having your deepest tenets refudiated, so we'll cut you some slack.
It's eerie to hear somebody like salt make something like the mirror image of the argument I've just made.

I'd point out that people like Breitbart discredit themselves. And arguments like the above containing nonsense assertions, dependent on allusive tropes ("ALINKSKY!"), subject-less assertions (to whom does "Your hack" refer?), and irrelevancies ("before TV there was no such thing as 'objective' newspaper journalism") are exactly the same sort of thing that folks like Breitbart bring to the table.
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:49 AM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognitive madisonian View Post
what do you mean by push back with equal force?
I mean call a liar a "liar," loudly, clearly, and as articulately as I can.
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Whatfur
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Time_Gumshoe View Post
I agree Breitbart is a master of taking black people out of context to tar them.

Glad to see we agree.
Come on Columbo, trying to expose dishonestly by you yourself being dishonest is not a logical tack.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM
cognitive madisonian cognitive madisonian is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 648
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
It's eerie to hear somebody like salt make something like the mirror image of the argument I've just made.

I'd point out that people like Breitbart discredit themselves. And arguments like the above containing nonsense assertions, dependent on allusive tropes ("ALINKSKY!"), subject-less assertions (to whom does "Your hack" refer?), and irrelevancies ("before TV there was no such thing as 'objective' newspaper journalism") are exactly the same sort of thing that folks like Breitbart bring to the table.
So, your argument is that when one decides to take an action without doing the necessary legwork to verify their materials' integrity, they are discredited?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Big_Time_Gumshoe Big_Time_Gumshoe is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 47
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Who's to say it he's racist. I just think he uses race divisively, the same way Atwater did.

He's just bringing back the classic that is the southern strategy in digital form.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:53 AM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognitive madisonian View Post
So, your argument is that when one decides to take an action without doing the necessary legwork to verify their materials' integrity, they are discredited?
Pull that one back down to the ground for me. What are you talking about and how does it relate to my assertions?
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:56 AM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Time_Gumshoe View Post
Who's to say it he's racist. I just think he uses race divisively, the same way Atwater did.

He's just bringing back the classic that is the southern strategy in digital form.
Which I argue is the noral equivalent of racism. If you use racism to further your political ends, you're no different (or, more likely, far worse) than somebody who honestly hates.
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:56 AM
cognitive madisonian cognitive madisonian is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 648
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
Pull that one back down to the ground for me. What are you talking about and how does it relate to my assertions?
You are asserting that Breitbart has been 'discredited.' I can only gather that your argument is that when one makes a decision without verifying that what they are going off of is totally legit, they are discredited.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Salt Salt is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 344
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Here's a question on education for all my lib friends in light of the John and Glenn discussion above. Hope this doesn't cause anyone undue stress, but I have to ask:
Who is dumber, Sarah Palin or a parent who just spent $160,000 for their kid to attend an Ivy and study under someone like Cornell West, Bill Ayers, or Barack Obama?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Don Zeko Don Zeko is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Exiled to South Jersey
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognitive madisonian View Post
So, your argument is that when one decides to take an action without doing the necessary legwork to verify their materials' integrity, they are discredited?
I think that it it says something bad about a government agency if they make personnel decisions on the basis of unverified information from untrustworthy sources. But it says something much worse about a self-proclaimed journalist, someone whose job is ostensibly to inform the public, to publish such a dubious video clip without making even the most cursory attempt to verify the contents of the video. And bear in mind, this is the charitable account of Breitbart's behavior. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out that he knew how dishonestly edited the video was when he decided to publish it.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 AM
cognitive madisonian cognitive madisonian is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 648
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Time_Gumshoe View Post
Who's to say it he's racist. I just think he uses race divisively, the same way Atwater did.

He's just bringing back the classic that is the southern strategy in digital form.
And this is because he has happened to concentrate on someone who is black? How is that different than calling liberal pundits who concentrate on Michael Steele racist, or Palin-obsessees sexist?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Don Zeko Don Zeko is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Exiled to South Jersey
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Sarah Palin. Now why don't you explain to me how this is supposed to open up a useful discussion about anything?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 PM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognitive madisonian View Post
You are asserting that Breitbart has been 'discredited.' I can only gather that your argument is that when one makes a decision without verifying that what they are going off of is totally legit, they are discredited.
My argument is that people caught lying are dishonest and therefore discredited. There's voluminous evidence for that assertion in regard to Breitbart.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201001270038
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Big_Time_Gumshoe Big_Time_Gumshoe is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 47
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

It's goes beyond that, Breitbart hasn't even run a correction on the ACORN case pursuant to Juan Carlos Vera. This guy was portrayed as willing to be an accessory to child prostitution when in fact he called two separate police stations to report O'Keefe.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:01 PM
cognitive madisonian cognitive madisonian is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 648
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
I think that it it says something bad about a government agency if they make personnel decisions on the basis of unverified information from untrustworthy sources. But it says something much worse about a self-proclaimed journalist, someone whose job is ostensibly to inform the public, to publish such a dubious video clip without making even the most cursory attempt to verify the contents of the video. And bear in mind, this is the charitable account of Breitbart's behavior. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out that he knew how dishonestly edited the video was when he decided to publish it.
I agree that Breitbart was remiss in his journalistic duties in not doing the necessary factchecking to verify that the excerpts were not out of context. But this whole 'discredited' argument seems nonsensical to me. If Breitbart is discredited, then so is the White House and the NAACP.

Breitbart got sloppy but he's not a fool and only a fool would intentionally post misleading excerpts when the full video was bound to pop up.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:02 PM
cognitive madisonian cognitive madisonian is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 648
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
My argument is that people caught lying are dishonest and therefore discredited. There's voluminous evidence for that assertion in regard to Breitbart.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201001270038
Come on now do a little better than MediaMatters.

What Breitbart did is absolutely no different than what Dan Rather did.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 PM
nikkibong nikkibong is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,803
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognitive madisonian View Post
Come on now do a little better than MediaMatters.

What Breitbart did is absolutely no different than what Dan Rather did.
and you probably think dan rather is a discredited liar!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:06 PM
cognitive madisonian cognitive madisonian is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 648
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
and you probably think dan rather is a discredited liar!
Rather is a liberal ideologue who let his partisanship get in the way of his journalism.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Don Zeko Don Zeko is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Exiled to South Jersey
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognitive madisonian View Post
I agree that Breitbart was remiss in his journalistic duties in not doing the necessary factchecking to verify that the excerpts were not out of context. But this whole 'discredited' argument seems nonsensical to me. If Breitbart is discredited, then so is the White House and the NAACP.
"Discredited" is a description that one applies to a journalist and not to a public official or interest group, because a journalist is primarily a source of information in the public debate. When a journalist develops a history of providing information that is so false or misleading that it could not have been supplied by a reasonable and honest person, it becomes reasonable to immediately assume that the information that person supplies is not true. One wouldn't describe the NAACP or the White House as discredited in this case because they a) didn't publish the video, they only reacted to it and b) are evaluated on all sorts of other criteria than the ones involved in this case.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cognitive madisonian View Post
Breitbart got sloppy but he's not a fool and only a fool would intentionally post misleading excerpts when the full video was bound to pop up.
Are you so sure of that? This incident hasn't had any obvious negative effect on Breitbart's standing in the Conservative media universe, his ability to drive media coverage, or his financial success, nor did the ACORN videos. Why isn't it at all reasonable to assume that he has learned that dishonest editing that conforms to the more conspiratorial attitudes of his audience is a winning strategy?
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Don Zeko Don Zeko is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Exiled to South Jersey
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognitive madisonian View Post
Rather is a liberal ideologue who let his partisanship get in the way of his journalism.
But you're much less likely to believe anything that Rather has to say than you were before this incident, right?
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Big_Time_Gumshoe Big_Time_Gumshoe is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 47
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

What liberal pundit has cut up one of Steele's speeches misleadingly and accused him of being a vicious racist?

There's no equivalency.

Once again who's to say that Breitbart is a racist, I certainly can't make that determination.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Salt Salt is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 344
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quoting Don:
Sarah Palin. Now why don't you explain to me how this is supposed to open up a useful discussion about anything?
Because John and Glenn have just argued (proven) that sending any kid, especially your own, to university to learn racial profiling from one of these ideologue/racists is the educational and financial equivalent of investing $160,000 in Pets.com. I guess it falls to me to mention how proud Michelle Obama is that her senior honours thesis at Princeton (Cornell West's current domicile) was about the ardors of being black at Princeton . . . or, more succinctly, herself. I think Glenn pretty much specifically addressed the disadvantages of this phenomenon. So, while the journolisters hack up Palin for her lack of education and sophistication, a few wise men like Glenn point out that the erudition of the current elite and its White House inhabitants add up to a pile of crap. If, like Sherrod (Shirley, not her racist husband) you choose to boil it down slightly differently to a marxist class issue, I would argue it's still not very constructive.

Last edited by Salt; 08-03-2010 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Big_Time_Gumshoe Big_Time_Gumshoe is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 47
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Hahaha.

Except Dan Rather lost his job.

That mediamatters timeline is exhaustive, if you want to take issue with any part of it, have at it.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:18 PM
cognitive madisonian cognitive madisonian is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 648
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Time_Gumshoe View Post
Hahaha.

Except Dan Rather lost his job.
Since Breitbart is self-employed, we can't expect the same

Rather found a new job pretty quickly and is hardly regarded as a discredited fraud in the journalism community.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:23 PM
cognitive madisonian cognitive madisonian is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 648
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
"Discredited" is a description that one applies to a journalist and not to a public official or interest group, because a journalist is primarily a source of information in the public debate. When a journalist develops a history of providing information that is so false or misleading that it could not have been supplied by a reasonable and honest person, it becomes reasonable to immediately assume that the information that person supplies is not true. One wouldn't describe the NAACP or the White House as discredited in this case because they a) didn't publish the video, they only reacted to it and b) are evaluated on all sorts of other criteria than the ones involved in this case.
They hardly behaved responsibly, though, did they? They rushed to judgment. I find it more disconcerting that the White House would be so irresponsible, though the NAACP lost its standing a while ago.



Quote:
Are you so sure of that? This incident hasn't had any obvious negative effect on Breitbart's standing in the Conservative media universe, his ability to drive media coverage, or his financial success, nor did the ACORN videos. Why isn't it at all reasonable to assume that he has learned that dishonest editing that conforms to the more conspiratorial attitudes of his audience is a winning strategy?
I don't see any reason why the ACORN videos would. There was very little defense of most of the people in the ACORN videos, and ACORN is a rather blatantly shady operation.

As for this, I don't think it will hurt his standing in the conservative sphere but then I don't think Rathergate hurt Rather's standing in the liberal sphere either. It impacted his mainstream career but not his ideological one (even though the two had been mixed for a long time).

Furthermore, though, remember the false quotes that were circulated when Rush Limbaugh was trying to acquire the Rams? I don't think anyone ever apologized for referencing them, and I don't think that anyone's career ever suffered for it.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 PM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognitive madisonian View Post
Come on now do a little better than MediaMatters.

What Breitbart did is absolutely no different than what Dan Rather did.
Please list your disputes with the assertions and/or the content of the citations in that piece. Otherwise, don't blow smoke.
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Don Zeko Don Zeko is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Exiled to South Jersey
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
Quoting Don:
Sarah Palin. Now why don't you explain to me how this is supposed to open up a useful discussion about anything?
Because John and Glenn have just argued (proven) that sending any kid, especially your own, to university to learn racial profiling from one of these ideologue/racists is the educational and financial equivalent of investing $160,000 in Pets.com. I guess it falls to me to mention how proud Michelle Obama is that her senior honours thesis at Princeton (Cornell West's current domicile) was about the ardors of being black at Princeton . . . or, more succinctly, herself. I think Glenn pretty much specifically addressed the disadvantages of this phenomenon. So, while the journolisters hack up Palin for her lack of education and sophistication, a few wise men like Glenn point out that the erudition of the current elite and its White House inhabitants add up to a pile of crap. If, like Sherrod (Shirley, not her racist husband) you choose to boil it down slightly differently to a marxist class issue, I would argue it's still not very constructive.
Two things:
1) Your description of higher education at selective universities bears little relation to my own experiences. I only attended one school, so it's possible that my experience was unusual, but reports from various friends and acquaintances suggests that the today's college students, with the possible exception of English Majors, do get informed, exposed to a variety of views, etc. Particularly in the disciplines most closely related to politics (Poli Sci, History, Economics, etc.) your description bears no relationship to the reality I observed at all.

2) The proof is in the pudding. Liberals don't call Sarah Palin (or George Bush, who went to Yale for christsakes) ignorant and uneducated because of where she went to college, we call her ignorant and uneducated because she is obviously out of her depth when she discusses policy. If anything, this has very little to do with where she went to school and everything to do with her attitude towards knowledge and expertise. Someone interested in good governance should continue to learn about these things long after getting a diploma. Palin obviously has not.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 PM
cognitive madisonian cognitive madisonian is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 648
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
But you're much less likely to believe anything that Rather has to say than you were before this incident, right?
I wasn't likely to regard anything he had to say before or after

I do understand the point that this can cause people to question future claims, and that's something that both Rather and Breitbart brought upon themselves with their irresponsibility. But this talk of 'discredited' seems to me to be a case of wanting to ignore future scoops that Breitbart publishes.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:26 PM
cognitive madisonian cognitive madisonian is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 648
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
Please list your disputes with the assertions and/or the content of the citations in that piece. Otherwise, don't blow smoke.
My dispute is with the referencing of a multi-million dollar smear website.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Don Zeko Don Zeko is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Exiled to South Jersey
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: Post-Post-Racial America (John McWhorter & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognitive madisonian View Post
As for this, I don't think it will hurt his standing in the conservative sphere but then I don't think Rathergate hurt Rather's standing in the liberal sphere either. It impacted his mainstream career but not his ideological one (even though the two had been mixed for a long time).
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a liberal on Journolist or even on this board willing to defend Rather's journalistic bona fides.

Last edited by Don Zeko; 08-03-2010 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.