Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2008, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Frum Justifies Big Government

Wow, I think I struck a nerve. The benign bjkeefe shows his true colors. First of all I don't claim to have any guys. Second, by "some in the media" I was specifically referring to the quote that you provided.

I only brought up Obama to point out that people claim to hold certain positions even when there other actions would say otherwise. I could have used several examples from John McCain, but given the audience, I figured this would be more fun. By the way, if you are going to tell me that these small donors really justify unprecedented action shouldn't it be the case that we are looking at a novel situation? The only real change here is that Obama has a lot more money than candidates in the past.

But let's return to the point at hand. When Frum writes "limited government" he is using an Orwellian trick. For evidence you could look at this interview, in defending prescription drug benefits he says:

Quote:
I think that is a really important consideration, so if you believe in the principle of limited government, but the idea that we're always going to approach limited government in exactly the same way that we did in 1977 is to have fossilized thinking.
In other places he seems to advocate the republican party moving away from limited government as a principle, though never directly. Therefore I call him a BIG Government conservative a la George W. Bush.