Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 09-29-2009, 12:57 PM
BhTV staff

Default Atonement (Robert Wright & Mickey Kaus)

Correction from Mickey

I misremembered the murder case I discussed in the diavlog. The individual involved, who was convicted, apparently did not cut his ex-girlfriend into pieces. Her skull was severely fractured and her body was stuffed in a trunk.

Last edited by Aryeh; 09-29-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Old 09-29-2009, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Atonement (Robert Wright & Mickey Kaus)

So Bob doesn't really care if Iran goes nuclear? Not surprising. At least he admits it. I'm sure if something does go wrong with Iran getting a nuke it will be Bush's fault.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 PM
kidneystones

Default Bodhisattva Bob Needs New Batteries

mc writes...[...] Agreed.

Feeling glum, Bob?

Don't know about it, don't care. Don't know about it, don't care.

nikkibong stands apart from many on this site because he at least doesn't try to claim objectivity and far-left sympathies in the same breath. Beck is an asshole. He boasted of wanting to kill Michael Moore; so there's little doubt about the pleasure he derives from the prospect of physical violence. Sarkozy is far more important than Polanski, but guess who's getting the headlines.

Bob needs a big dose of spiritual regain before his next bhtv appearance. Bad time to go limp.

Last edited by kidneystones; 09-29-2009 at 08:36 PM..
Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Bodhesattva Bob Needs New Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneystones View Post
Bob needs a big dose of spiritual regain before his next bhtv appearance.
Yeah. He should delete all his previous diavlogs and start over, don't you think?
Old 09-29-2009, 03:24 PM

The calls that Beck is some sort of new phenomenon escalating the possibility of political violence is laughable. Not that someone may hear him and blow a fuse but that it's anything new.

Where were these accusers when people were marching with posters showing Dubya decapitated, shot, lynched and burned?

Where were these people when Bill Maher said killing Dick Cheney would save lives?

Where were these people when Randy Rhodes was calling for 'Fredo Corleone' Bush to be taken for a boat ride?

Where were these people when british newspapers were begging for another Lee Harvey Oswald?

But.....I do admit Beck is dangerous to moonbats.....he's something like 3-0 against Obama regarding Van Jones, Yosi Sargent and ACORN. That all these takedowns were bloodless takes a bit of the shine off his portrayal by the left as violence personified.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:17 PM

If people were saying that someone advocating political violence is a new phenomenon that would indeed be trivial. Someone advocating political violence isn't something new but the fact that they have a daily t.v. show on a major network is new.

Quoting Harkin: Where were these accusers when people were marching with posters showing Dubya decapitated, shot, lynched and burned?
Where were these people when Bill Maher said killing Dick Cheney would save lives?
Where were these people when Randy Rhodes was calling for 'Fredo Corleone' Bush to be taken for a boat ride?
Where were these people when british newspapers were begging for another Lee Harvey Oswald?

I think it's obvious that the marchers don't have a daily t.v. show.
Bill Maher is actually on t.v. But you're saying that Bill Maher is in the same category in terms of intensity as Beck. That's hopeless. Randy Rhodes? I didn't even know who he was until I looked him up online. British newspapers? That has be to be the most desperate ploy of them all. You have to go all the way to Britain for a comparison? The only thing you're right about is that people are hypocrites. Are you're suggesting that's a new phenomena?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:56 PM

Enoch said "Randy Rhodes? I didn't even know who he was until I looked him up online."

She, not he. Even I know that!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
Enoch said "Randy Rhodes? I didn't even know who he was until I looked him up online."

She, not he. Even I know that!
Yes, you're absolutely right. However, if knowing something about Rhodes is part of the minimum set of facts about the world that you think people should know then I think that's sad.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Yes, you're absolutely right. However, if knowing something about Rhodes is part of the minimum set of facts about the world that you think people should know then I think that's sad.
I think the standard is that people should know the facts they're using.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymisher View Post
I think the standard is that people should know the facts they're using.
Yeah, but Enoch's point was that Rhodes is a minor, marginal, unknown figure. His not knowing she was female actually reinforces his point.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
Yeah, but Enoch's point was that Rhodes is a minor, marginal, unknown figure. His not knowing she was female actually reinforces his point.
Agreed.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Doh! My bad. Sorry guys.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkin View Post
The calls that Beck is some sort of new phenomenon escalating the possibility of political violence is laughable. Not that someone may hear him and blow a fuse but that it's anything new.
I listened to Beck last night and he was talking about getting God back in the schools and into national life in general. Since I don't believe that this will make things better, I was a little bored by the discussion but lately, Beck has been talking about values and ethics.....a discussion I think is worth having.

I agree that Bush was vilified almost from the beginning of his presidency. This seems to be the way we Americans do things now. From my recollection the left started it way back in the sixties and now talk radio has answered it skillfully and with a vengeance. Now it's just a battle of who can shout the loudest and frighten the most people. Somewhere in there, however, one can get some information that's useful.

But it's not about being right, any more. It's about winning. C'est la guerre!

(god, I hope I spelled that right, my spel-check doesn't do french)
Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
But it's not about being right, any more. It's about winning. C'est la guerre!
Actually I borrowed that sentiment from Mark Bowden who wrote this article in the Atlantic http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200910/media
and was interviewed on NPR yesterday.

I think I remember that he said that, in his opinion, the change in journalism started happening during the time of Watergate.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I listened to Beck last night and he was talking about getting God back in the schools and into national life in general.
A win for energetic public scorn?

Quote:
I agree that Bush was vilified almost from the beginning of his presidency. This seems to be the way we Americans do things now. From my recollection the left started it way back in the sixties and now talk radio has answered it skillfully and with a vengeance. Now it's just a battle of who can shout the loudest and frighten the most people. Somewhere in there, however, one can get some information that's useful.
To help disabuse yourself of this false equivalence, you might see the third entry in Mickey's post (from the sidebar) and Josh Marshall's, which Mickey linked to.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
To help disabuse yourself of this false equivalence, you might see the third entry in Mickey's post (from the sidebar) and Josh Marshall's, which Mickey linked to.
Also, were you aware that a prominent conservative news outfit published a column, today, calling for a military coup against Obama?

And were you aware of this? "Wash. Times and Fox News now unleashing mobs on private citizens (including kids)."
Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Also, were you aware that a prominent conservative news outfit published a column, today, calling for a military coup against Obama?
Gee and there were no rumors about rumors of President Bush was going to use the military to not surrender the Presidency. Left nut, Right nut what's in the middle?

Quote:
You mean, as mentioned in the article, they are following the Josh Marshal strategy of crowdsourcing to accomplish a goal. It it a sin to copy the tools and methods that the left has employed, once they have been show to be effective? Or do you just object to whom the tools are now being applied.

Answer: Nothing as there both acorns and we now see that from acorns nothing grows.

Last edited by piscivorous; 09-29-2009 at 08:34 PM..
Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscivorous View Post
Gee and there were no rumors about rumors of President Bush was going to use the military to not surrender the Presidency. Left nut, Right nut what's in the middle?
Again, let's see some links. You'll not be able to find anything beyond a few isolated examples, by nut-picking from the comments and forums of places like open community web sites. I'm not saying there's no such thing as a lefty who has said over the top things about Bush, but I am saying that this is not at all the same as the non-stop drumbeat from major media outlets like Fox, Rush Limbaugh, the Washington Times, and a host of prominent conservative websites who front-page stuff like this. You don't see me descending into the bowels of FreeRepublic or StormFront to find my examples -- I don't need to. This stuff comes from the most prominent outlets on the right. For more on this, see also my response to Simon Willard.

And there's a second difference. Unlike the criticism of Bush that came in response to his actual actions, the right-wing hysteria about Obama started as soon as he was the leading candidate in the primaries, and it ramped up to a sustained howl the instant he was elected; i.e., before he'd ever done anything.

Quote:
You mean, as mentioned in the article, they are following the Josh Marshal strategy of crowdsourcing to accomplish a goal. It it a sin to copy the tools and methods that the left has employed, once they have been show to be effective? Or do you just object to whom the tools are now being applied.
No. If you'd read the article more carefully, instead of just looking for things that support your preconceived views, you'd see that the difference is that the TPM and other lefty crowd-sourcing was done on public documents and other archived material that related to elected officials. By contrast, what the right media is calling for here is a witch hunt on private citizens, for things that don't even start from a basis in legitimate criminal accusations.

Quote:
Answer: Nothing as there both acorns and we now see that from acorns nothing grows.
Like Jeff said, metaphors sure aren't your strong suit. And more to the point, trying to wave flowery language around doesn't make a convincing case that "they're just the same." You've got nothing but empty assertions.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:12 AM

I was just curious which of the 1,040,000 associated with bush marshal law would you accept?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscivorous View Post
I was just curious which of the 1,040,000 associated with bush marshal law would you accept?
Oh, I do so like when you take on that oily tone, pisc. It's almost as delightful as your metaphors. Happy to see that you still "don't really see discussion as competition," though.

Anyway, to your "question:"

As I've told you before, the first step in your new quest to become "as all knowing as some of the left" is this: don't mistake the number of results Google gives you for a search as much in the way of meaningful evidence, especially when your search terms are not enclosed in quotes and contain very common words. And especially when one of them is misspelled. You might also consider the possibility that some of these entries refer, in effect, to the negative of what you think you're searching for; e.g., posts with the theme, "Don't worry. Bush isn't going to declare martial law." Or "marshal," as you prefer.

Or, to put it another way, searching for elvis presley alive returns 1,530,000 hits, paul mccartney dead returns 2,260,000 hits, and for that matter, how to enlarge penis returns 2,310,000 hits. Any of those numbers make you want to open your wallet? What's that? You already did on number 3? Sorry to hear that, but, as they say, wisdom comes from experience.

Anyway ...

Second, if you want to at least appear "all knowing," you've got to do a little work for yourself. I asked for specific links to major media outlets or prominent, respected blogs, as liberal as you like, that would in any way compare with the right-wing sources I listed for you. Dumping a link to a Google search and expecting someone else to do your research for you won't cut it.

Third, you have to learn how to apply some critical thinking, and not just cop the attitude that "if the computer says so, it must be true." Have a look at page one of your big list o' "results." That the second one (of 1,040,000!!!1!) points to crazyuncleintheattic.blogspot.com pretty much proves my point, doesn't it? If not, consider that other front page -- I say again, front page, as in among the top 10 -- results point to, for example, one of Alex Jones's websites, dailypaul.com, answers.yahoo.com, and a forum entry on Democratic Underground. Let me know if you need details on why a bit of skepticism is in order when considering what's posted at any of these links.

Hope this helps.

Doubt it will.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 09-30-2009 at 03:19 AM..
Old 09-29-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Oh, that's just crazy stuff. Pay no attention; it can't happen. It can't happen because we have a two-party system, and Obama got a majority of the votes.

Now, if we had a multi-party system, like some commenters have endorsed, there would be much less stability.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Willard View Post
Oh, that's just crazy stuff. Pay no attention; it can't happen. It can't happen because we have a two-party system, and Obama got a majority of the votes.
Sure, that's what I believe, too.

The point that I was trying to make with that example, however, is that there is a real and large difference between what the left and right (media) do, in terms of speaking out in opposition to the party and president in power. You've got harkin hand-waving (without links, natch) about a few isolated incidents, exaggerated and half-remembered, mostly gleaned from fringe sources, aggregated from over eight years, regarding a president who many view as having started an illegal war, crashed the economy, pissed all over the Constitution, the Geneva Conventions, and America's image worldwide, and no matter what you think, spent the last couple of years in office struggling to keep his approval ratings above 30%. Then you've got badhatharry agreeing, "Yep, nothing to see here. Left and right, just the same."

They're really not. I could put up new links every day that point to something just as hysterical as that NewsMax column, coming from sources like Fox News, the Washington Times, prominent Republican officials, top right-bloggers and web sites like Malkin, Hot Air, NewsMax, WorldNetDaily, NRO, The Weekly Standard, Instapundit, and RedState, and don't even get me started on Limbaugh and the rest of the hate radio crowd. It's a non-stop drumbeat that reinforces the belief among the GOP base that Democrats can never hold power legitimately and that every waking moment, President Obama, Speaker Pelosi, etc., must be doing something illegal or unsavory or anti-American.

Of course we're not likely to have a military coup, but the environment created by this endless rightwing noise machine is one in which individual nuts are emboldened to act out violent urges, and progress on actual serious problems is severely hampered. There is simply no comparison to it on the left.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 09-29-2009 at 10:06 PM..
Old 09-29-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Very well said.

And remember, too, that we're only 9 months into the Obama administration, and the seditious behavior you describe is only going to get worse -- much worse. This is not to say Republican sedition is likely to achieve the support of a majority of the public, but Republican sedition is clearly a growing problem.

Eventually, the wingnuts may have to switch from denying the sedition to endorsing it.

Last edited by TwinSwords; 09-29-2009 at 10:29 PM..
Old 09-29-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Good Lord.

There were signs at the 9/12 Wingnut March on Washington that said "What they did in Honduras, we can do here," or words to that effect, i.e., endorsing a military coup.

Don't tell BobbyG.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:57 AM

I gather that you didn't read this response to BJKeefe.

Last edited by Bobby G; 09-30-2009 at 01:46 AM.. Reason: Bad mood
Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby G View Post
I gather that you didn't read this response to BJKeefe.
Bobby,
Please accept my apology for my sarcastic comment. Although we disagree on some things, I do have a very high opinion of you and appreciate your contributions to the forum. As it happens, I have not yet jumped back into that thread since I left it last Thursday. I will try to do so tonight.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:35 PM

I got over my initial annoyance, but thanks.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby G View Post
[...]
Oh, hey, Bobby G ... off-topic from your conversation with Twin, but I just came over here to pass something along to you, and when I clicked my "New Posts" bookmark I saw your new post, and so rather than look for the more relevant thread, where you and I were last conversing, due to laziness, well, here it is -- jumping into the middle of Mr. Riley venting after mistakenly reading something on Slate, wherein he has just encountered, yup, you guessed it, more of that good ol' Left-Right Equivalence!

Quote:
Oh yeah, the unsettling Second World War, and the troubling Adolph Hitler. I thought I remembered that a lot of people seemed on edge in those days. And that explains the hysterical overreaction to the Red Scare. Not that you don't realize some extremists on the Right are a bit touched, though, right? Just like

Quote:
(In the 1960s, with the rise of conspiratorial thinking in the New Left, many turned their attention to the paranoid style on the left as well.)
Fine. Even Steven. Don't bother introducing any into evidence; Defense will stipulate that some academics of the era were--and some still are--more than a little honked off, correctly or no or don't give a fuck, at the Left's challenge to the whole panoply of academic privilege. Funny, innit, how we never get the People Who Called The Left A Bunch Of Paranoid Conspiracy Nuts Overstated The Case articles, huh?

But really, now, how do these equate? You've got Birthers in the US Congress. Since Hofstadter's 1963 lecture you've had one Anti-fluouridationist GOP Presidential candidate, and one actual President, separated by Nixon, who may not count because his Red baiting was accompanied by actual clinical paranoia, succeeded by a guy too intellectually incurious to even be aware of his debt to them, whose Vice President made Nixon look like a paragon of mental hygiene, followed by another Vice Presidential candidate (and the actual draw for party regulars) who is crazier'n a swarm of bees in September, which, of course, is aiming above the G. Gordon Liddys, the Pat Buchanans, the B-1 Bob Dornans, the Dan Burtons, Jim Sensenbrenners, Jim Bunnings, and Michelle Bachmans, all of whom have dined well on the taxpayer dime, some even without having done prison time. Th' fuck approaches that on The Left? Did Dennis Kucinich read Abbie Hoffman's Deface This Book into the Congressional Record in his younger days?
Not reading the whole thing is, of course, not an option.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:27 PM

Default ugh

Imitating the absolute worst of the 1960s New Left is bad for Americans, conservatives, and the Republican party. "We're just as bad" ain't a great rallying cry.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:14 PM

Default Re: ugh

Quote:
Imitating the absolute worst of the 1960s New Left is bad for Americans, conservatives, and the Republican party. "We're just as bad" ain't a great rallying cry.
Update:

Tea Baggers To Attempt Sit In at Pelosi's Office
from Talking Points Memo by Josh Marshall
We're watching to see what comes of it. But there are apparently a group of Tea Partiers organizing a sit-in in Speaker Pelosi's office at 1:45 PM. Only they're telling people an office number that isn't Pelosi's office. So it's hard to say how well that's going to come off. And presumably, if the Capitol police know in advance what you're trying to do that might put a bit of a damper on things.

Right-wing hippies. Keep digging guys!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Right-wing hippies.
The perfect analogy. The right is on the verge of doing to itself what the left did to itself during the 1960s and early 1970s, with a kind of activism and extremism that is alienating to most Americans. The question that remains to be seen, though, is whether the American people will really be as put off by wingnut hippies as they were by the original hippies of the 1960s.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
The perfect analogy. The right is on the verge of doing to itself what the left did to itself during the 1960s and early 1970s, with a kind of activism and extremism that is alienating to most Americans. The question that remains to be seen, though, is whether the American people will really be as put off by wingnut hippies as they were by the original hippies of the 1960s.
I'd bet against that ever happening. The wingnuts will always, always, always have money supporting them, partly from truly deranged richies from the far right, mostly from the not-necessarily-deranged richies who are happy to fund non-stop noise directed at Democrats, liberals, and liberal ideas. That money buys top-down message control, plus reinforcement and a patina of credibility via shills who can regularly get onto teevee and op-ed pages, not to mention running their own "news" and commentary outfits.

Plus, a busload of old white farts yelling about "keep the government away from my Medicare," while comical, is never going to seem as threatening to middle America as were long-haired kids, particularly those with non-white skin.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 11-05-2009 at 01:30 PM..
Old 11-05-2009, 04:47 PM

My buddy has a vintage "We do not solicit hippie patronage" sign from the early '70s. Our town had one on every single business in town until one grocery store finally decided to take theirs down and take my parents money in '74. the first 3 years after moving there they drove 35 miles to go get groceries, gas, etc.

hard to imagine anything similar could happen now.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
... but lately, Beck has been talking about values and ethics.....
Let's not forget, in this rush to embrace the new kinder gentler version, what his record really is: You should read "Glenn Beck's long history of extremist rhetoric."

Reference to the above via another post by the valuable reporter Dave Neiwert, in which he discusses Bill Clinton's views on right-wing extremism then and now.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:30 PM

Bob, here's the undedited ACORN video that you were demanding to be posted. You might want to pull your head out of the sand

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/09/1...an-bernardino/
Old 09-30-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosecat View Post
Bob, here's the undedited ACORN video that you were demanding to be posted. You might want to pull your head out of the sand

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/09/1...an-bernardino/
Seriously.

Bob, Breitbart's blog has been turning over full video to the media AND publishing full transcripts of these films from the very beginning. He's repeated that point on almost every appearance that he's made. For you to continue to insist that this has not been done indicates that you are either ranting about something which you know NOTHING about, or else you are being deliberately obtuse.

So which is it, Bob? Are you an ignorant blowhard, or a lying antagonist?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Davis View Post

...So which is it, Bob? Are you an ignorant blowhard, or a lying antagonist?
I say he's neither. But you have hit on a sometimes bhtv phenomenon: Two opinions offered without a guarantee that either is necessarily informed.

At least they have chemistry. It's a winning formula.

Last edited by graz; 09-30-2009 at 07:23 PM..
Old 09-29-2009, 03:49 PM

Correct me if Im wrong Mickey (or maybe Harvard Law taught you different), but isn't a plea bargain arranged with the D.A. Isn't the judge within his rights to reject the offer? Maybe you could check with your Mom and get back to us:

The French are despicable, the Atlantic postures... Oh... what was I guessing about again?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Francoamerican

Whatever the merits of the warrant for Polanski's extradition (and the case is murky--to say the least), it should be pointed out that France has no extradition treaty with the US and doesn't extradite its citizens unless the crime committed is particularly heinous. Polanski was a naturalized French citizen before he moved to the US.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 PM

The man pleads guilty and it is murky. And the waters in the West End are murky compared to Palm Beach.