Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Iraq By the numbers

Do you favor a gradual draw-down over the next 2 or 3 years, keeping our foot on the brake and seeing how the security situation goes? Because I can't tell from what you're saying whether this is what you want or not. I am assuming from your tone and from what you've written on the board before that you favor something faster. So which is it? If we start pulling out troops and violence starts to climb back to late 2006 levels do we keep pulling the troops out?

Here's what I want. A withdraw date because of the blazingly obvious fact that we are not keeping 150k troops in Iraq for 5+ years. That withdraw date should absolutely occur within 2 years, no exceptions, perhaps sooner. The pace of the withdraw is can be contingent on how the security situation shifts. If it goes well than we speed up withdrawal and vice versa. The most important thing is a certain withdraw date. That is the key as it ensures we end this mess and it gives the Iraqis the sense that we are leaving and they need to figure out what to do. It's like welfare reform for Iraq. This is basically the plan Dems have on the table and would readily accept. Hell, even the crowd at Daily Kos would be slightly happy with this.

Most of the get out tomorrow rhetoric is fueled by the stay-in-forever rhetoric on the right. If 20 republicans in the Senate suddenly get sane and agree to setting a date a compromise like above could be worked out quite easily. Are you okay with it?