Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Iraq By the numbers

I appreciate your response (sort of) but it suffers from the tendency amongst people who hate Bush to fail to distinguish between the politics of reversing a domestic policy and reversing a foreign policy. A failed domestic policy (even one that has ruined thousands of lives like public housing projects) can just be abandoned. Iraq, of course, could just be abandoned but the results would be catastrophic.

Your snark is appropriate considering my condescension.

Just because we made one irresponsible foreign policy decision does not mean that an equal and opposite irresponsible foreign policy decision will somehow set things right.

Agreed, but your evidence that pulling out over the next 1-2 years is irresponsible is quite thin especially considering that at one point in your above post you actually suggest it. The people of Iraq want us to leave. Not just one side, but both sides in this sectarian conflict. Could it be possible that the 80% of Iraqis who think it would be better if we leave might just be right? Or are Iraqis too stupid to know what is best for them? And if they are wrong, and a huge conflict breaks out, then we can reconsider going back in as peacekeepers with other nations, preferably with other nations of the ME who have a stake in keeping Iraq from flying apart at the seems.

And you are right that we can't predict what will happen. But we do know that what we have been doing for the past 4 years isn't working. So left with that choice, I'll take the unknown over that which is not working.