Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Goodbye to All That Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcnulty View Post
Kj commented:

"Iran is as rational an actor as any other nation."

That's right. They would never do anything crazy like, say, invading a foreign embassy, which has been recognized by international law as inviolate, sovreign foreign territory for 300 years. They also wouldn't widen the streets of Tehran to accommodate the return of the "12th Imam." Or rebuild and modernize the well from which he is supposed to return. Or call for another nation's destruction before the United Nations, of which that other nation is a fellow-member. Why, exactly, do you assume that the normal rules of deterrance would apply witrh a regime that is explicitly Islamist and apocalyptic? Did you know that the founder of the regime, the Ayatollah Khomeini, said that patriotism was a form of paganism and that he would gladly see half the Iranian nation destroyed if Islam triumphed?
First off, I could find your responses if you would reply to my posts instead of burying them. I assume the normal rules of deterrence apply because there is no evidence that they don't. The burden of proof is clearly on your side since beyond populist rhetoric and religious pandering there is absolutely no evidence that the ruling sect of Iran is suicidal.

And how would Islam triumph by launching a crude nuclear weapon at someone in the region? I'm sorry but the whole argument is ridiculous. This is exactly the mentality that got us into a war with Iraq that has been a disaster. How can so many not learn a very simple lesson?