Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-12-2010, 05:13 AM
ledocs ledocs is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: France, Earth
Posts: 1,165
Default In Treatment, the TV Show

I want to know if Wonderment and Ocean watch this show, and whether Wonderment is familiar with the Israeli original.

I am curious about changes in the mores of therapy, calling the therapist by his first name, lots of movement allowed in the therapy room. I find this show riveting, it's interesting in lots of ways.
__________________
ledocs
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: In Treatment, the TV Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledocs View Post
I want to know if Wonderment and Ocean watch this show, and whether Wonderment is familiar with the Israeli original.

I am curious about changes in the mores of therapy, calling the therapist by his first name, lots of movement allowed in the therapy room. I find this show riveting, it's interesting in lots of ways.
Quick answer. No, I don't watch the show. I almost don't watch any television.

According to what you describe, the only thoughts that come to mind are that there has been some change towards less rigid ways of relating to therapists. However, depending on the educational degree of the therapist he/she may want to be called by first name or by last name with the corresponding title, typically Dr. (if the therapist is a Ph.D. or the unlikely case these days of being an M.D.). I don't know what you mean by lots of movements allowed, but typically both therapist and patient talk while sitting down. No one is walking around.

My impression is that TV shows and movies add elements of cinematic drama including peculiar ways of interacting, moving and use of language, which have nothing to do with reality.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-12-2010, 03:24 PM
handle handle is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,986
Default Re: In Treatment, the TV Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Quick answer. No, I don't watch the show. I almost don't watch any television.

According to what you describe, the only thoughts that come to mind are that there has been some change towards less rigid ways of relating to therapists. However, depending on the educational degree of the therapist he/she may want to be called by first name or by last name with the corresponding title, typically Dr. (if the therapist is a Ph.D. or the unlikely case these days of being an M.D.). I don't know what you mean by lots of movements allowed, but typically both therapist and patient talk while sitting down. No one is walking around.

My impression is that TV shows and movies add elements of cinematic drama including peculiar ways of interacting, moving and use of language, which have nothing to do with reality.
A very involving show, IMO, with top notch actors, acting, and writing, but I think Ocean is right about cinematic drama as it relates to reality. Unfortunately, I have doubts if anyone would want to watch real sessions, as real people are probably not that interesting, just a conjecture though.
__________________
"God is a metaphor for that which trancends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that." J. Campbell
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: In Treatment, the TV Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by handle View Post
Unfortunately, I have doubts if anyone would want to watch real sessions, as real people are probably not that interesting, .
Real people are very interesting, but they don't always show it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Wonderment Wonderment is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,694
Default Re: In Treatment, the TV Show

Haven't seen it yet in Hebrew or English. Sounds interesting; I'll check it out.
__________________
Seek Peace and Pursue it
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Busca la paz y síguela
--Psalm 34:15
Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.