Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:13 AM

Default In Treatment, the TV Show

I want to know if Wonderment and Ocean watch this show, and whether Wonderment is familiar with the Israeli original.

I am curious about changes in the mores of therapy, calling the therapist by his first name, lots of movement allowed in the therapy room. I find this show riveting, it's interesting in lots of ways.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:23 AM

Default Re: In Treatment, the TV Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledocs View Post
I want to know if Wonderment and Ocean watch this show, and whether Wonderment is familiar with the Israeli original.

I am curious about changes in the mores of therapy, calling the therapist by his first name, lots of movement allowed in the therapy room. I find this show riveting, it's interesting in lots of ways.
Quick answer. No, I don't watch the show. I almost don't watch any television.

According to what you describe, the only thoughts that come to mind are that there has been some change towards less rigid ways of relating to therapists. However, depending on the educational degree of the therapist he/she may want to be called by first name or by last name with the corresponding title, typically Dr. (if the therapist is a Ph.D. or the unlikely case these days of being an M.D.). I don't know what you mean by lots of movements allowed, but typically both therapist and patient talk while sitting down. No one is walking around.

My impression is that TV shows and movies add elements of cinematic drama including peculiar ways of interacting, moving and use of language, which have nothing to do with reality.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Quick answer. No, I don't watch the show. I almost don't watch any television.

According to what you describe, the only thoughts that come to mind are that there has been some change towards less rigid ways of relating to therapists. However, depending on the educational degree of the therapist he/she may want to be called by first name or by last name with the corresponding title, typically Dr. (if the therapist is a Ph.D. or the unlikely case these days of being an M.D.). I don't know what you mean by lots of movements allowed, but typically both therapist and patient talk while sitting down. No one is walking around.

My impression is that TV shows and movies add elements of cinematic drama including peculiar ways of interacting, moving and use of language, which have nothing to do with reality.
A very involving show, IMO, with top notch actors, acting, and writing, but I think Ocean is right about cinematic drama as it relates to reality. Unfortunately, I have doubts if anyone would want to watch real sessions, as real people are probably not that interesting, just a conjecture though.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handle View Post
Unfortunately, I have doubts if anyone would want to watch real sessions, as real people are probably not that interesting, .
Real people are very interesting, but they don't always show it.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:55 PM

Haven't seen it yet in Hebrew or English. Sounds interesting; I'll check it out.
--Psalm 34:15