Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2011, 03:34 AM

Default Re: "These people are terrorists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator View Post
Where are you reading any of this? The Balfour declaration speaks about "Jews and non-Jews" in a territorial designation called Palestine. The declaration isn't even aimed at indigenous Jews. So he's speaking to European Jewry. So according to you, English Jews are "Palestinians" as well?
How do you reach that question regarding English Jews. Like it or not the Brits in 1917 had an idea about a Palestinian people, separate from Egyptians or Saudis. A few years later these people had passports with British Palestine stamped across them in gold letters, which would probably need renewing long before 1977 rolled around.

Quote:
Obviously not. Balfour is making no statement about Palestinians, as people. He's making promises about Palestine, as land.
He's making assurances that the people of that land are safe guarded. I think it's safe to say that they were acknowledged as a political reality, the same way talk about splitting Iraq into thirds would have viewed the Iraqi Kurdish population, despite there being Kurds elsewhere.

If you want to really test whether Palestinians existed before 1948 investigate the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem and the relationship with the British, or look at how his critics today, use him against the Palestinians.

Quote:
Again, no one denies there were human beings in Palestine prior to 1967. The argument is about the conception of national identity. And "Palestinian" was a non-existent political concept.
You have just demonstrated that it was a political concept, a concept that the British were articulating to European Jewry.
Quote:
Are you arguing that facts aren't to be spoken because you disagree with the outcomes of their extrapolation? I'm a member of the reality based community, so I don't share that view.
Some facts are more equal than others when it comes to presidential debates. If you think Newt's could have made similar comments had about Israelis and not faced accusations of anti-semitism then your expectation of reality is different to mine.

I remember Helen Thomas was fired when she said Israelis should get out and go back home to Europe, well according to some GOP candidates the 'invented people' have 'invented claims' and certainly no right to live in the land that they have been living in for centuries or at least as long as America has existed.

Last edited by opposable_crumbs; 12-14-2011 at 03:43 AM..