Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Stupid pointless flame wars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Stupid pointless flame wars Flame wars from diavlog threads are dumped here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)
All hope abandon, ye who enter in.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2010, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Splitters and Lumpers (Josh Cohen & Jim Pinkerton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
The titles aren't meant to imply fault. The threads have to be named something when moved here, but maybe I'll just start numbering them or something.
Hi Brenda,
I think one of the flaws, if I may be permitted to say so, with the new system is exactly what Jeff and Ocean have expressed, and which I and others have felt: "Why are we being lumped in here?"

Here's a suggestion that might help address this problem: Only move the offending comments to the dungeon -- not the entire thread segment from whence the trouble started. The other posts would just be deleted. In the case of this thread, for example, you would have deleted Don Zeko's and Jeff's posts, and only moved Pisc's to the dungeon.

I like the idea of stigmatizing the true troublemakers (though we clearly disagree about who the troublemakers are). So I think there is value in placing them here in the dungeon. And there is value in titling the sub threads with the names of the belligerents - it increases the stigma, and therefore the likely effectiveness of your new strategy. But it's a mistake, in my view, to drag the innocent into the dungeon along with the troublemakers.

I should finally say, however, that I think this whole exercise is really unnecessary, and reflects nothing so much as BhTV's refusal to come to grips with the fact that it has one (1) problem commenter. Maybe two, if you count Lyle. If you would just ban Fur, and probably Lyle, the character of the forum would be completely different. I realize, though, that you can't do this because (I suspect) you feel compelled to treat them with kid gloves. Conservatives use rage and threats to dominate and manipulate everyone in our society; BhTV's admins are apparently no exception.