Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2008, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Expert Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaDM View Post
Eli, I thought the free market would referee the survival of media. If newspapers can't earn their readership, shouldn't they go out of business? So interesting to see how conservatives cope when they lose control.
Go back and listen again to what I said. I am not arguing for a newspaper fairness doctrine or a federal bail out of the new york sun. I am saying that the economic model for all newspapers is not sustainable in that our product is essentially free on the internet. There is web advertising, but the rates have not caught up to the old print model. What's more, many newspapers have lost businesses like classified sections to the internet that made the news economically viable. All the major newspapers in New York, except I think the journal, lose gobs of money now. Interesting enough, the journal is the only paper that charges readers to read their content online. And finally, my idea is not against the market. I am saying that readers who appreciate a news source should pay a conscience premium in the same way an investor might purchase a portfolio free of Sudan related concerns, or a gourmet may wish to purchase an heirloom tomato. That is a free market argument.