Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > General comments on Bloggingheads.tv
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General comments on Bloggingheads.tv Post comments about our website here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 09-07-2008, 11:52 PM
johnmarzan johnmarzan is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Quiapo
Posts: 358
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

charles krauthammer
christopher hitchens
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 10-02-2008, 04:39 AM
otto otto is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 129
Default New Bh.Tver

Megan 'From the Archives' or now 'Rhubarb Pie'.
http://rhubarbpie.typepad.com/rhubarb/

Blogging on California, dating, and water use. What's not to like?
(I think I may have suggested Megan before a while back -- get to it)
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 10-12-2008, 09:52 PM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

I think Daniel Larison would make a great right-of-center foil for Bob Wright.
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 10-12-2008, 11:42 PM
TwinSwords TwinSwords is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heartland Conservative
Posts: 4,933
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
I think Daniel Larison would make a great right-of-center foil for Bob Wright.
An excellent suggestion!
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 10-13-2008, 01:39 AM
nikkibong nikkibong is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,803
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Clive Wynne, author of the excellent book, Do Animals Think? would be a great Science Saturday (or Free Will) score. Animal Cognition!

http://books.google.com/books?id=0Oi...um=4&ct=result
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 10-13-2008, 01:39 PM
otto otto is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 129
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

There's a so-called neo-liberal/contrarian guy with a high-traffic blog, one of the first set up, who I think would make great diavlogs about the last few weeks of the presidential campaign. Name escapes me however.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Clear Eyes Clear Eyes is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 10
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

maybe Martin Peretz - he has some ideas on political issues.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 10-14-2008, 07:31 PM
nikkibong nikkibong is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,803
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Eyes View Post
maybe Martin Peretz - he has some ideas on political issues.
put him up against juan cole and prepare for one of them to explode!
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 10-15-2008, 07:21 AM
johnmarzan johnmarzan is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Quiapo
Posts: 358
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarzan View Post
charles krauthammer
christopher hitchens
one down, one more to go.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 AM
johnmarzan johnmarzan is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Quiapo
Posts: 358
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

3 more names:

anne applebaum
tom friedman
david brooks
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 10-15-2008, 01:58 PM
otto otto is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 129
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

No - none of those. What we want is suggestions for bloggers to appear on bh.tv. Yes, we want special guests when they have a book to discuss etc, and e.g. Fukuyama was pretty good. But this is not oldmediaheads.tv - you need to earn your licence to blogginghead.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 10-16-2008, 01:12 AM
johnmarzan johnmarzan is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Quiapo
Posts: 358
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
No - none of those. What we want is suggestions for bloggers to appear on bh.tv. Yes, we want special guests when they have a book to discuss etc, and e.g. Fukuyama was pretty good. But this is not oldmediaheads.tv - you need to earn your licence to blogginghead.
invite them anyway even if they don't have any book to promote. you should not exclude any people who would make good guests for the diavlog, instead of limiting yourselves to leftwing and leftwing bloggers.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 10-16-2008, 02:33 AM
johnmarzan johnmarzan is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Quiapo
Posts: 358
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

christopher buckley vs glenn loury (tip from kaus)
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 10-20-2008, 11:41 AM
anycon anycon is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

I want hilzoy! --Or to second someone else's request for hilzoy, given I didn't search the thread.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 PM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycon View Post
I want hilzoy! --Or to second someone else's request for hilzoy, given I didn't search the thread.
I don't think he's come up - but I'll second your request.
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM
TwinSwords TwinSwords is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heartland Conservative
Posts: 4,933
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
I don't think he's come up - but I'll second your request.
I will third the nomination of Hilzoy. And Hilzoy's blogging partner Steve Benen would also be an excellent "get" for BHTV.

For those not familiar with Benen, you can hear him 2 hours a week on the excellent Poli Sci-Fi Radio, a weekly program featuring discussion of politics and science fiction.

Steve Benen also writes one of the most indispensible blogs, Political Animal, at The Washington Monthly.


(Thanks to bjkeefe for alerting me to Poli Sci-Fi Radio some weeks ago.)
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 10-21-2008, 06:58 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

hilzoy is female, if anyone cares. I add my request for her to appear, and second the request for Steve Benen. (I think I've asked for him before).

BTW, hilzoy also posts on Political Animal, in addition to her more usual place, Obsidian Wings.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 10-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Bobby G Bobby G is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 728
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

H-Bok's reputation as a philosopher is very good. I would definitely like to see her do bhTV. Pairing her up with David Velleman might be good, at least if they discussed social issues.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 10-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Saint Russell Saint Russell is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Has bh.tv ever had a real live Objectivist? I was just reading David Corn's piece in Mother Jones, where (as others have done lately) he characterizes the current financial catastrophe as "decades of Ayn Rand down the drain". I'd love to see Yaron Brook (Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights, Forbes.com, Time.com, etc.) do a Bloggingheads, so how about setting one up with Corn?
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Bobby G Bobby G is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 728
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Russell View Post
Has bh.tv ever had a real live Objectivist? I was just reading David Corn's piece in Mother Jones, where (as others have done lately) he characterizes the current financial catastrophe as "decades of Ayn Rand down the drain". I'd love to see Yaron Brook (Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights, Forbes.com, Time.com, etc.) do a Bloggingheads, so how about setting one up with Corn?
Is Brook an Ayn Rand Institute type (objectivism is a closed system) or an Atlas Foundation type (objectivism is an open system)? No on him if the former, yes if the latter.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 10-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Saint Russell Saint Russell is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby G View Post
Is Brook an Ayn Rand Institute type (objectivism is a closed system) or an Atlas Foundation type (objectivism is an open system)? No on him if the former, yes if the latter.
Brook is President and Executive Director of ARI. If you'd prefer someone "objectivish" rather than an actual Objectivist, he's evidently not your guy.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 10-31-2008, 05:09 PM
nikkibong nikkibong is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,803
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Kevin Roderick of laobserved & someone else (Jack Shafer? Jay Rosen of Pressthink?) discussing the continuing travails of print media. (Damn, another 10% cut at the LA Times this week . . .)

Working title: Stop the Presses!
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 11-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Downpressor Downpressor is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

I think Dan Savage would be awesome. Very intelligent, but definitely of a different background than most who appear on this site. Especially good for something about prop 8 and issues about sexual orientation.

also, Joseph Heath at the U of Toronto would be great...specifically on Free Will as he just came out with a new book.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 11-08-2008, 04:59 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downpressor View Post
I think Dan Savage would be awesome. Very intelligent, but definitely of a different background than most who appear on this site. Especially good for something about prop 8 and issues about sexual orientation.

also, Joseph Heath at the U of Toronto would be great...specifically on Free Will as he just came out with a new book.
I second Dan Savage for sure.

(Don't know Heath.)
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 11-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Incompetence Dodger Incompetence Dodger is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 45
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Now that the diavlog format is firmly established and the site has reached a kind of critical mass, maybe it's time to have the occasional audio-only diavlog for anonymous or nominally anonymous bloggers like Digby, Hilzoy, Anonymous Liberal and Cunning Realist. "Audio-only diavlog"--hmm, I'll have to come up with a snappier term for that....
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 11-13-2008, 12:07 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompetence Dodger View Post
Now that the diavlog format is firmly established and the site has reached a kind of critical mass, maybe it's time to have the occasional audio-only diavlog for anonymous or nominally anonymous bloggers like Digby, Hilzoy, Anonymous Liberal and Cunning Realist. "Audio-only diavlog"--hmm, I'll have to come up with a snappier term for that....
Diaalog?

(And then we can argue about whether to pronounce it with three or four syllables.)
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 11-14-2008, 01:57 AM
sugarkang sugarkang is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cali, Small-Govt Liberal
Posts: 2,186
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

paul krugman v. peter schiff?
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 11-17-2008, 12:00 PM
ledocs ledocs is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: France, Earth
Posts: 1,165
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

I don't have particular people in mind, but I want to say that the role of derivatives, and particularly of credit default swaps, in the financial crisis has yet to be addressed in a serious way on bhtv, and I think that should be rectified. Robert Schiller came on to say that the problem is not with derivatives per se, but rather with the lack of transparency of the derivatives markets. So he wants them traded on exchanges, and he wants to create yet more derivatives. Greenspan has admitted that credit default swaps have been a major contributor to the crisis. Schiller said nothing to contradict this, except that he said that the problem they have created results entirely from an increase in counterparty risk in the financial system as a whole. Is this true?

I want to see two people who know a lot about the derivatives markets, both in theory and in practice, explaining to us what is known about what is out there and what problems have resulted from this largely hidden market. I am assuming that Soros and Buffett cannot be induced to discuss this on bhtv.

There was a lady "management consultant" who was on in September who seemed to know a lot about the financial markets. I don't remember her name, but I found her to be impressive.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12-07-2008, 02:34 PM
uncle ebeneezer uncle ebeneezer is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

I would love an interview with Daniel Levitin or Oliver Sacks on the psychology of music. Not sure who the best interviewer would be. John Horgan, Carl Zimmer and Bob Wright would all be great from the science/evolution angle, but Will Wilkinson would be great too, or even a musicphile like Eli Lake or Matt Lee could make for an interesting interview.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 12-07-2008, 02:53 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
I would love an interview with Daniel Levitin or Oliver Sacks on the psychology of music. Not sure who the best interviewer would be. John Horgan, Carl Zimmer and Bob Wright would all be great from the science/evolution angle, but Will Wilkinson would be great too, or even a musicphile like Eli Lake or Matt Lee could make for an interesting interview.
I'd be delighted to hear Oliver Sacks talk about anything he'd like.

On the psychology of music, I'll re-recommend this episode of Radiolab -- Musical Language -- to tide you over while you're waiting.

If you remember this recommendation from my earlier post, I apologize for the repetition.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 12-07-2008, 03:12 PM
uncle ebeneezer uncle ebeneezer is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

I do remember that link. I think I tried to view it recently but got interrupted or had computer issues and forgot to go back. Thanks for reminding me.

Yeah, Oliver would be a great guest. Just the stories from "Man who mistook his wife 4 a hat" would easily fill a fascinating hour.

Perhaps Richard Preston would be a good guy to interview him on that kinda stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 12-07-2008, 03:39 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
I do remember that link. I think I tried to view it recently but got interrupted or had computer issues and forgot to go back. Thanks for reminding me.
y/w

Quote:
Yeah, Oliver would be a great guest. Just the stories from "Man who mistook his wife 4 a hat" would easily fill a fascinating hour.

Perhaps Richard Preston would be a good guy to interview him on that kinda stuff.
Good idea. Or maybe Robert Krulwich from Radiolab, even. If you could get him, you'd have a better chance of getting Sacks -- they're pals from way back.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 12-07-2008, 06:38 PM
uncle ebeneezer uncle ebeneezer is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Just listened to the Radiolab music piece. Very cool. I would have loved to hear them get into the evolutionary perspective on how certain sounds became tied to certain emotions. Are they standard across all cultures? Are there any exceptions?

PS the Stravinsky story was great. I only my music could start a riot!
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 12-07-2008, 07:27 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
Just listened to the Radiolab music piece. Very cool.
Glad you liked it. Thanks for letting me know.

Quote:
I would have loved to hear them get into the evolutionary perspective on how certain sounds became tied to certain emotions. Are they standard across all cultures? Are there any exceptions?
Dude, you've just outlined half the diavlog! Write it down, email it to Bh.tv and Radiolab!

Quote:
PS the Stravinsky story was great. I only my music could start a riot!
Heh. That's because you're the one at the back of the stage. Think of your poor frontmen. ;^)
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 12-09-2008, 01:41 PM
nikkibong nikkibong is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,803
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

leon wieseltier vs. . . .well, anybody!
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 12-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Bobby G Bobby G is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 728
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Eric Alterman vs. Marty Peretz!
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 12-09-2008, 04:00 PM
TwinSwords TwinSwords is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heartland Conservative
Posts: 4,933
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby G View Post
Eric Alterman vs. Marty Peretz!
That would be dramatic!
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 12-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Downpressor Downpressor is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

(reposted from the open forum, sorry) based on interesting Coates posts on homophobia (like this one: http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.c..._lifestyle.php) I think a Dan Savage/Ta-Nehisi Coates Diavlogue would be awesome. I think it would also be good to get Dan Savage in a forum where he doesnt have to be on the super defensive/offensive and can just be the smart, insightful, and funny guy that he is.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downpressor View Post
(reposted from the open forum, sorry) based on interesting Coates posts on homophobia (like this one: http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.c..._lifestyle.php) I think a Dan Savage/Ta-Nehisi Coates Diavlogue would be awesome. I think it would also be good to get Dan Savage in a forum where he doesnt have to be on the super defensive/offensive and can just be the smart, insightful, and funny guy that he is.
Good suggestion. I'd also like to hear Dan Savage independent of waiting until the next slot with Ta-Nehisi opens up.

No need to apologize. Thanks for taking my suggestion.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 12-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Ooga-Booga Ooga-Booga is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20
Exclamation Re: New diavloggers we'd like to see

Journalists -
Robert Fisk, Jeannie Becker, Amy Goodman, Jeremy Schahill, Ana Kasparian, Cenk Uygur

Writers -
Jim Hightower, Arundhati Roy, Katha Pollit, Howard Zinn, Naomi Klein

Activists -
Gloria Stienem, Mark Emery, Ralph Nader, Bill Ayers, Bernadine Dorhn, Richard Gere

Scientists -
Oliver Sacks (neurologist), David Suzuki (environmentalist), Stephen Hawking (physicist)

Musicians -
Henry Rollins, Jello Biafra, Yoko Ono, Leonard Cohen, Steve Earle, Buddy Guy, BB King, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Lee Konitz, Billy Bragg, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, Chuck D, Stewart Copeland, Johnny Rotten

Other -
Paul Krugman, Ross Perot, Moses Znaimer, The Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandella
Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.