Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 07-20-2011, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Say Hello to Republican Nominee Mitt Romney

Quote:
Originally Posted by whburgess View Post
It's ballsy, but if they don't play the political game, they're stupid. You can't make policy if you aren't in the game.
I think we're pretty eye to eye here, especially in light of the fact that we both want a compromise. Though, you have to wonder what would happen if we default on the debt, and everything works out the way Grover Norquist and Co. say it will. If the sky doesn't fall, I think the GOP becomes the Tea Party and it's suddenly a race between Bachmann and Ron Paul with an actual chance of unseating the incumbent Obama.

The way it is now, there's very little chance Obama gets voted out.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:19 AM

Default Re: These are a few of my favorite things....

Chang was very fun to watch. But he would be lucky to win a set on Fed or Nadal. Chang was like Agassi without the offense. Whereas Nadal is like Agassi with even more offense. And Federer is just, well...God*.

*I actually prefer Nadal most of the time, but Federer is the most God-like player of all-time in that he shows such perfect form, grace, and a casual yet fierce personality.

That must sound really odd coming from such an atheist as myself.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
Chang was very fun to watch. But he would be lucky to win a set on Fed or Nadal. Chang was like Agassi without the offense. Whereas Nadal is like Agassi with even more offense. And Federer is just, well...God*.
Was God. Best player of all time, though.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post

*I actually prefer Nadal most of the time, but Federer is the most God-like player of all-time in that he shows such perfect form, grace, and a casual yet fierce personality.

That must sound really odd coming from such an atheist as myself.
In truth, although I don't really follow tennis that closely, I'd have to agree that Chang was not really of Federer's or Nidal's caliber. My choice was more out of admiration for his determination and success against players who had bigger guns, as it were, and admiration for Chang as a person, speaking of God...

Last edited by rfrobison; 07-21-2011 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: missing possessive
Old 07-21-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
Oh, it was mainly a joke, because my bf at the time and I had discovered that we answered differently on ALL of the them, or all the ones that immediately came to mind. So we kept making up more and started making it into a test.

Heh, I still like you anyway.
I like you too, Stephanie.

But, seriously, compatibility (in friendships or romantic relationships) is highly desirable for several big item aspects, the rest don't matter so much.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
edit: oops, missed one -- brunettes (or brunets, I guess)
Wow, when I read brunettes or blondes, my immediate assumption was that it would only apply to women. I really don't know how you would use similar terms for men.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:13 AM

Stephanie said, apparently:

Quote:
Once upon a time I created this whole list of dichotomies that I'd make people pick (quickly! you can't think!), with the idea that it would become a personality or compatibility test. It was mostly literary (Tolstoy/Dostoevsky, Hemingway/Faulkner, Austen/Brontes, Plato/Aristotle, so on), but I clearly needed to add beverages.
I like this idea. Not necessarily for choosing mates. There, I think, differences might work just as well as similarities (an interesting empirical question). Here are my answers:

Dostoevsky, Faulkner, Austen, Plato.

Leo Strauss, so it was reported to me, used an Austen v. Dostoevsky test to distinguish the prudent from the imprudent, or the people with sophrosune from those who lack it. He had a notebook in which he kept track of this, so he could know who his enemies were.

(That last sentence is a joke.)

I am an INTJ in the Meiers-Briggs matrix, if that's what it's called. But one could perform the same kind of test on the literate population using these dichotomies and similar tests, and the results might be instructive, especially when correlated with empirical evidence about "happy" academic and literary couples versus divorced ones, and so on.

Last edited by ledocs; 07-21-2011 at 09:18 AM..
Old 07-21-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
It's ballsy, but if they don't play the political game, they're stupid. You can't make policy if you aren't in the game.
Such a fine line between ballsy and stupid.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:21 PM

I loved Chang too for all the same reasons. I have always loved a good underdog. And at his size, Chang was always the underdog when facing Sampras, Agassi, Courier and many other of the dominant players from that era. His evangelical side was not something I was aware of until years later (really until I read Agassi's book, which I highly reccomend).
Old 07-21-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarkang View Post
Though, you have to wonder what would happen if we default on the debt, and everything works out the way Grover Norquist and Co. say it will. If the sky doesn't fall, I think the GOP becomes the Tea Party and it's suddenly a race between Bachmann and Ron Paul with an actual chance of unseating the incumbent Obama.
That would be interesting wouldn't it? The idea reminds me of this for some reason.

Of course, I do trust the consensus on this and am afraid of a shutdown. I think people will feel it, won't like it, and will blame the GOP.

Of course, the falling sky could turn out to be something so temporarily felt that it's long forgotten by the end of the year. Meanwhile the debt and bad economy is still there, and the GOP can say this is a result, once again, of 'not letting a crises go to waste' in the drive to create bigger government.

Quote:
The way it is now, there's very little chance Obama gets voted out.
I disagree here. I think if the economy is still bad, anyone will beat Obama. Well, anyone except You Know Who.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
Such a fine line between ballsy and stupid.
Hey, I admit they could be playing the game very well; I could be wrong. They could end up being right in their strategy as well as their policy.

Then it's me and many, many others who are proven to be the stupid ones. Which would be just fine by me.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Hey, I admit they could be playing the game very well; I could be wrong. They could end up being right in their strategy as well as their policy.
Then it's me and many, many others who are proven to be the stupid ones. Which would be just fine by me.
The funny thing is that if they're right (I think I lost track of who they are) we'll never really know. I think we're talking about the economy or the debt, right? It will take years for things to turn around. And no one will be able to point to one incident that made the difference. And each side will claim victory or point to blame.

I mean...who is to blame for the financial crisis? There are about a hundred theories floating around, each designed to shore up a particular point of view.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
The funny thing is that if they're right (I think I lost track of who they are) we'll never really know. I think we're talking about the economy or the debt, right? It will take years for things to turn around. And no one will be able to point to one incident that made the difference. And each side will claim victory or point to blame.

I mean...who is to blame for the financial crisis? There are about a hundred theories floating around, each designed to shore up a particular point of view.

I was referring specifically to the 'tea party' republicans that are making these debt ceiling negotiations difficult. I'm following the MSM line of thinking on this.

I think they will be proven to be right if the government shuts down and
whatever pain is felt as a result of it proves to be temporary and easily forgotten by the time of the presidential elections.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I was referring specifically to the 'tea party' republicans that are making these debt ceiling negotiations difficult. I'm following the MSM line of thinking on this.

I think they will be proven to be right if the government shuts down and
whatever pain is felt as a result of it proves to be temporary and easily forgotten by the time of the presidential elections.
Easily forgotten by whom? Certainly the tale of the terrible teapartiers will be told repeatedly. I mean look at Obama threatening to hold back SS checks. Besides, don't you think whatever happens depends on what those in power want to have happen?
Old 07-22-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Easily forgotten by whom? Certainly the tale of the terrible teapartiers will be told repeatedly. I mean look at Obama threatening to hold back SS checks. Besides, don't you think whatever happens depends on what those in power want to have happen?
Power is shared in our government, and the tea party republicans have their share, that's why we have deadlocked negotiations. So they have some power to control the narrative, as do the rest of the GOP.

The actual amount and duration of the pain that people feel when the government is shut down will largely determine which narrative they listen to.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
The actual amount and duration of the pain that people feel when the government is shut down will largely determine which narrative they listen to.
But my point is that people will believe what they are told. For instance, I'm sure you've heard the following: Wall Steet reacted today on the news that the EU is going ahead with plans to bail out Greece or Wall Street experienced a sellout because of the quarterly jobs report.
Is this analysis accurate? or is this just some pithy bit put at the beginning of the market report? There's really no way to tell what makes the market do what it does and parts of it do things that the other parts don't.

But you are saying that the amount of pain will determine what narrative will be listened to. I suppose it will be relatively easy to determine the effects of not raising the debt limit if people get laid off or checks don't go out, but that will be an administration issue...how are we going to live with less money?

The problem with all of this is that these cuts need to be made regardless of the debt limit crisis and people are going to suffer one way or another. It's very unlikely people are going to see this as a plus and this will be a great opportunity for demagoguery...which brings us back to whether this is ballsy or stupid.

Last edited by badhatharry; 07-22-2011 at 09:59 AM..
Old 07-22-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
That would be interesting wouldn't it? The idea reminds me of this for some reason.
LOL!
Q: Do you have a degree in economics?
A: Yes, ma'am. Highest honors.

Yeah, this is exactly the suspicion a responsible citizen ought to have.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarkang View Post
LOL!
Q: Do you have a degree in economics?
A: Yes, ma'am. Highest honors.

Yeah, this is exactly the suspicion a responsible citizen ought to have.
speaking of degrees in economics
Old 07-22-2011, 08:30 PM

:which brings us back to whether this is ballsy or stupid." Given the perilous state of recovery summer II it could quite well be both as opposed to either or.