Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2011, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Science Saturday: Celestial Couch Potatoes (John Horgan & George Johnson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
I have not found this to be true, but I suppose there are probably a few exceptions. I think it is in the comments section that one experiences this kind of discord. But that's pretty typical of comments sections on the internet. People identify with those who share their views and fight with those who don't. Also, there is the ever popular one-ups-manship that inevitably goes on. C'est la vie.

Yes, I get a little impatient with people who say stuff like "conservatives are anti-science" and don't get any pushback from their interlocutor. I had to hand it to Andy Revkin recently when he challenged the guy from Grist for saying stuff like that.
Right you are, BadHat. OhReally has overstated the problem. The best diavlogs have an element of disagreement that causes the participants to illuminate the topic from different angles.

In this diavlog, George rightly pushed back against John's nihilistic comments on the value of the Higgs hunt.

I agree the discord of trying to score rhetorical points is a problem. But I learn best when friends with different opinions have a friendly exchange of views.

Last edited by Simon Willard; 12-27-2011 at 10:35 PM..