Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2010, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Enlisting the Muslims

wh burgess,

Your idea of others trying to intervene with such vulnerable youth before the government or the terrorists is an excellent one and that is what I would support...of course efforts like that across a whole spectrum are underway...one of the primary goals of a Muslim website I write for is to provide a religiously orthodox and credible voice which works against violent radicalization. There are a number of similar such efforts, and they need to be done completely independently of the government to work as you suggest.

I guess it depends what one sees as the FBI's job. Certainly there's a difference between law enforcement preventing crime completely or catching criminals and goading people into committing crimes who otherwise might not have done so...this, at least, whether you believe it or not, is the concern that many Muslims have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whburgess View Post
The vulnerable, stupid kids are who the terrorists are looking for. These are the ones who will carry out the terrorism. It would be irresponsible for the FBI to NOT go online and figure out who these people are before the terrorists get to them.

I really think its too bad if a significant amount of people view the FBI doing their job as strictly PR. PR for what? Of course, they want to be seen doing a good job. Everyone does. Why is that a bad thing?

Perhaps a charitable organization should be formed which would also go online and recruit these vulnerable, stupid, kids and once they have recruited them---attempt to reform them into something more constructive.
This would be better then the FBI or terrorist recruiters getting to them first.

In any case, we can't allow them to continue along their radicalization path, without interference, until they meet up with the real thing that can supply them with the means to detonate a bomb somewhere.