Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-05-2011, 04:48 PM
operative operative is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,261
Default Great Stories in American Education

First one: nearly half of all Detroit residents are functionally illiterate.
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/05/...ers-cant-read/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-05-2011, 04:59 PM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: Great Stories in American Education

I am not at all claiming that there aren't problems with education, particularly with inner city schools, but I would point out that there's a lot of developing research that notes that trauma exposure dramatically limits people's ability to learn.

This may be somewhat stereotypical, but I would suspect that the residents of Detroit probably have relatively high levels of trauma exposure.

(yes, I am sure the illiteracy rate is overdetermined. But there is a broader context to these problems.)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-05-2011, 05:03 PM
operative operative is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,261
Default Re: Great Stories in American Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
I am not at all claiming that there aren't problems with education, particularly with inner city schools, but I would point out that there's a lot of developing research that notes that trauma exposure dramatically limits people's ability to learn.

This may be somewhat stereotypical, but I would suspect that the residents of Detroit probably have relatively high levels of trauma exposure.

(yes, I am sure the illiteracy rate is overdetermined. But there is a broader context to these problems.)
I think that the success of charter schools, particularly those that take children from the same inner cities that produce illiterates, challenges those notions. It's certainly reasonable to argue that those in inner city situations are more likely to experience trauma--they're more likely to see gang violence, the ravages of drug addiction, etc. I do not accept that this is deterministic.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. SaŽah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: Great Stories in American Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by operative View Post
First one: nearly half of all Detroit residents are functionally illiterate.
Second one: only six percent of white evangelicals believe human beings evolved through natural selection.

[Added: And here's how to fix that!]

Also, from B'head Tom Scocca: "Economist Asks, Why Can't Public Schools Serve Poor People Better, Like Supermarkets Do?"
__________________
Brendan

Last edited by bjkeefe; 05-05-2011 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-05-2011, 07:16 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. SaŽah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: Great Stories in American Education

Third one: David Barton, history teacher of your Republican Party.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 PM
operative operative is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,261
Default Re: Great Stories in American Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Second one: only six percent of white evangelicals believe human beings evolved through natural selection.
The public at large is a far more encouraging 39% (http://www.gallup.com/poll/114544/da...evolution.aspx)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-05-2011, 07:53 PM
operative operative is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,261
Default Re: Great Stories in American Education

I'm pretty sure this has been covered either in a diavlog or a discussion but just to cover all of our grounds, not only do we have pockets of massive illiteracy, not only are we in the 17th century scientifically, but yes, we also suck at math: http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2011/2011004.pdf
Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.