Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2009, 12:58 PM

Default Re: 'Roid Rage Edition (Robert Wright & Mickey Kaus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatfur View Post
And Doc, so lets say YOU ARE one of those who is kind of restricted to a DMV with horrifically slow service and apathetic employees...what are your options again? Or on the other hand say you hate K-mart, what are your options again?

[added] and if the comparison is cable cos., get a dish or get a book
Let's skip the hypotheticals.

When my ass has depended on it, the government has helped me. There are trade-offs, but more often I've felt that government-backed programs have made sure I got through school, got taken care, had safe roads -- and my experiences there have simply been better than with privatize industries.

I don't want the government to replace the private sector in health care. But we already give those industries great tax subsidies that they've squandered. I can't even fathom who would have a problem with regulating them and letting the government compete against them, so long as the intent isn't to run them into the ground.

Don't like the DMV? You're out an hour. Don't regulate the health care industry? People, in large numbers, end up dead. The economy continues to stagnate. People get stuck in jobs they don't want (conservatives love the free market re: the stock market, but what about the labor market? A public option will let people work how and where they want, which is what capitalism is all about!), and we all end up shouldering the burden anyway.

There's a reason why no country lets insurers operate without regulation: it produces a lousy outcome for most while producing a great outcome for a few.