Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2011, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Values Added: The Whirligig of Time (Glenn Loury & Walter Russell Mead)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledocs View Post
Don't you see how insane this is, that Thomas Friedman is now a dangerous anti-Israel leftist who is a fellow-traveler with anti-Semites?
Of course I do. What I don't understand is why you are suggesting that I would sympathize with such idiotic views. (I never said I agree with the politics of Commentary, for heaven's sake, and it's not like I haven't been perfectly explicit about my own views on I/P.)

I don't at all deny -- in fact, I think I agreed, upthread -- that it's possible to find people reacting ridiculously to any criticism of Israel. (I think I've pointed that out in debates on this forum with people doing just that.) I'm simply saying that that's not what I've been arguing and not what I perceived the argument in the diavlog to be about.

On Friedman and whether he'd be talking about this stuff without W&M, I don't see why not. He was critical of Israel in From Beirut to Jerusalem, years ago, and when the reaction in the US was much more related to the Jewish population and organizations like AIPAC, I believe. My memory -- which could be wrong, it's been years since I read the book -- is that he talked about the reaction to his critical articles and how they were hard for him, given the idea of Israel he was raised with. I don't see this as such a shift, then, except to the extent that US policy has shifted to the kinds of things he was talking about. But I will check the book which I have somewhere.