Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2011, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Values Added: The Whirligig of Time (Glenn Loury & Walter Russell Mead)

Stephanie, if oil is not a compelling US interest in the Middle East, what the hell would be?

I really must disagree that there was anything subtle about Mead on anti-Semitism here. To the contrary, he seemed to me to be a very blunt instrument, indeed. Just to repeat, he said that anyone who thinks that American Jews are driving US policy towards Israel is, at a minimum, both wrong and immoral. A lot hinges on what one means by "driving the policy," of course. Mead did not get a chance to say what he thinks the influence and role of the American Jews are here. But it should have been enough for him to say that anyone who thinks that Jews are driving the policy is wrong. He seemed to me to be saying that anyone who thinks that the Jews are decisive is either ignorant or anti-Semitic. Glenn seemed to me to cower in fear when he realized that he was on the precipice of being called an anti-Semite, merely because he entertains the idea that Walt/Mearsheimer are right on the substance, even if their book is badly executed and they can't prove their point. I think step one in the whole debate would be to establish what sort of evidence would constitute a proof here, what a smoking gun in the world of lobbying looks like, whether a smoking gun on this question of the Israel lobby could ever be adduced in the real world, and so on.