Re: Values Added: The Whirligig of Time (Glenn Loury & Walter Russell Mead)
Mead protests too much. I don't recall Loury blaming "The Jews" for anything, so Mead's self-righteous finger-wagging was a bit much. Plus, there's something cringe-inducing about Gentiles who feel the urge to prove to us that they really really HATE antisemitism. Now the facts:
1. American Jews would never vote for Bibi says Mead: In favorability ratings among American Jews, Netanyahu beats Obama 61% to 54%. (J-Street 2011). To quote the great Perry, "oops."
2. Americans love Israel so much that 71% of them want the US "not to take sides in the I/P conflict" (WPO 2008). How many Americans think Israel is "doing its part" to resolve the I/P conflict? Answer: 30% .
3. Yes, Americans adore Israel (67%) but somehow they adore Japan even more (77%) and positively worship Germany (80%) -- Gallup 2010. So why isn't our "Germany policy" a serious issue in the presidential campaign? Perhaps because love's got little to do with it, but crass geopolitical interests do.
4. Americans are a bunch of ignoramuses (partly thanks to the propaganda they get from the Mead crowd), so could it be they don't like Palestinians because every mention of them in the news portrays them as monsters? (wait for the perfectly rotten 'apple' to confirm).
5. Christian Zionists love Israel, that's true. And they respect the Jews so much they'll convert all of them to Christianity as soon as they have a chance. I think we've seen this love story before.
Last edited by ohreally; 11-23-2011 at 06:19 PM..