Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2011, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Booze and Money (Tim Fernholz & Megan McArdle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwatcher162536 View Post
It get a little old how much it is asserted that humility in what is knowable means we should do nothing. It's like there is some weighting function in conservatives that weights any harm done by the state 100 times more then any harm done by the market.
Which is correct. The reason is because the State operates in the name of all of us; the market is a collection of individuals cooperating without coercion. So if the state ruins my business because someone wants to "try something out", the effect is that we all ruined my business. More perversely, my taxes were used to ruin me. This is why crimes of the state are more heinous in anyone's estimation. It is worse for a politician or federal employee to steal from someone than a random thief to do the same act. It is an abuse of power we have entrusted in them.

No one has "entrusted" anything to a private actor. If a company chooses to dump radioactive waste in a child's playground (Which is how the left weighs things), it is that company which is the bad actor. It is the company which is ruining someone, or some business. And whats more, the company can be held accountable. The government cannot.