Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > General comments on Bloggingheads.tv
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General comments on Bloggingheads.tv Post comments about our website here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 PM

Default Re: holy cannoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by handle;237032
I know about your spouse already (you've alluded to this before), and I am an electro-mechanical engineer who designs, fabs, and consults on equipment for scientific research and would [I
never[/I] claim to be a scientist, as this is simply incorrect. Signing a document to that effect by me would constitute fraud, IMO. And a double fraud when I (or Rutan) do not have PHD's in hard science, nor have we published scientific works in any field, let alone those even remotely related to climate science.
Oh! so now we have raised the bar to "hard science" Clever how you slipped that in (well, not really). Did the introduction say 16 hard scientists...?

What you would claim is irrelevant. I doubt anyone would ever be faced with some piece of paper to sign which says "I am a scientist." Mostly people are asked to provide the credentials from their education or work and one should be very careful not to misrepresent those things. If you are just a cubbyhole guy who follows orders and procedures and doesn't get into the discovery phase of engineering than I guess you should not claim to be a scientist.

And, I have yet to hear from you what it is that constitutes a scientist... But here is something from Wikipedia which might give you pause, but check with Jeff first.

"Engineering is the discipline, art, skill and profession of acquiring and applying scientific, mathematical, economic, social, and practical knowledge, in order to design and build structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes."

"Engineering, much like other science, is a broad discipline which is often broken down into several sub-disciplines."

Quote:
Please try to follow the discussion before you claim someone has not made a point. The "duhhhh!" was accompanied by a link plus a quote, which you have neglected to acknowledge, let alone refute. I suspect you are now grasping at straws with your false implication that I can't do what I (and Jeff) have already done here.
I don't read Jeff's posts. There is no need. I already know what he will say. He usually just makes me want to throw up a little.
And you still haven't told me what makes a scientist a scientist.

Quote:
I do appreciate you falsely summarizing my points though, because dead forum or not, it makes you seem a little detached from reality. Kinda like all your "science" links. You have issues with critical thinking that are degrading your credibility.
Are you saying you don't care because you think no one is reading this
How about you try to follow?...you said that I am hurting my cause. First, I already know that you have no interest in discussing any of this and that you know pretty much nothing about it so it will go nowhere. What is important to you is arguing about stupid stuff like whether or not Bert Rutan is a scientist and giving your visiting guest, Jeff, high fives. Second, I have no cause. This whole controversy is mostly an interesting social phenomenon in my opinion. People like you have chosen a side because you have bought into the 99% propaganda and will never change their minds until the issue is eventually forgotten. It's going to be interesting to see where this thing is at in twenty years.

But, I'm so glad that you at least appreciate something about my posts. The "detached from reality" bit is pretty much how I would sum up my opinion of you.

Last edited by badhatharry; 01-31-2012 at 07:49 PM..