Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2010, 01:55 AM

Default Re: The Economist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
Who are you talking to?
You. I find it hard to believe that you normally think that Obama is reluctant to spend money making the government look more effective at solving problems, especially environmental problems. I know there's a meme going around the right that Obama hates international trade, but to try to shoehorn it into this situation requires believing that Obama is willing to make the federal government look (and actually be!) feeble and ineffective so that a vast, multi-national, non-American oil company can take more of the credit for solving the problem. I don't think there are very many people willing to believe that outside the fringe left, so I don't think you can apply the "Obama hates free trade" meme here without becoming inconsistent.

edit: And to support this, I point out that the Economist- which also believes Obama is somewhat hostile to free international trade- hasn't printed this rumor. Part of that is just that they have reasonable standards for evidence, but I think they're also not eager to jump on the "Obama hates spending money on liberal goals and loves BP" bandwagon

Last edited by pampl; 06-21-2010 at 02:02 AM..