Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Fluffy Foo Foo

Default Re: That was fast!

What did I say that was racist? Please explain.

Who called President Obama stupid... me or bjkeefe? Bjkeefe right, bjkeefe called our black President stupid. RACIST!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Wikileaks -- Diplomatic cables

Wow:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ange-interpol/

Last edited by chiwhisoxx; 11-30-2010 at 08:11 PM..
Old 12-01-2010, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Wikileaks -- Diplomatic cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
Does not actually seem all that "wow" to me. Seems like a pro forma response to some sketchy charges, and note that despite the flashy name and headline:

Quote:
A Red Notice is kind of international wanted poster seeking the provisional arrest of a fugitive, with an eye towards extradition to the nation that issued the underlying arrest warrant. Interpol transmits the notices to its 188 member countries, including Britain, where Assange is believed to be located. Interpol has no authority to compel a subject’s arrest. It issued 5,020 Red Notice last year for a variety of crimes.
Please also note tweet #1. But substitute "Assange" for "Wikileaks."
Old 12-02-2010, 04:21 PM

Default Jay Rosen on why people turn to Wikileaks

Quote:
NYU Journalism Professor Jay Rosen has a characteristically insightful and thought-provoking analysis of WikiLeaks, expressed through a 14-minute video. Regarding why many valuable sources prefer to give their documents and other leaks to WikiLeaks rather than traditional press outlets, he says:

Quote:
In the American case, one of the reasons is that the legitimacy of the press itself is in doubt in the minds of the leakers. And there's good reason for that. Because while we have what purports to be a "watchdog press," we also have -- laid out in front of us -- the clear record of the watchdog press' failure to do what it says it can do, which is provide a check on power when it tries to conceal its deeds and its purpose.

So I think it's a mistake to try to reckon with WikiLeaks and what it's about without including in the frame the spectacular failures of the watchdog press over the last 10, 20, 30, 40 years - but especially recently. And so without this legitimacy crisis in mainstream American journalism, the leakers might not be so inclined to trust an upstart like Julian Assange and a shadowly organization like WikiLeaks . . .

These kinds of huge, cataclysmic events [the Iraq War] within the legitimacy regime lie in the background of the WikiLeaks case, because if it wasn't for those things, WikiLeaks wouldn't have the supporters it has, the leakers wouldn't collaborate the way they do, and the moral force behind exposing what this Government is doing just wouldn't be there. . . . The watchdog press died, and what we have is WikiLeaks instead.
From "Joe Lieberman emulates Chinese dictators."
Old 12-03-2010, 06:51 AM

Default Wikileaks.org down. Other sites available.

It looks like, at the moment, wikileaks.org is down, and further, that the URL is claimed not to be known by various DNS services.

Various mirror sites are going up; e.g. wikileaks.ch in Switzerland and wikileaks.se in Sweden. Best bet is probably to start with the Wikileaks Twitter feed and Facebook page, since the powers that be seem to be shutting some of the mirrors down as well, or blocking the DNS lookups.

Here's one that's working at the moment: http://213.251.145.96.nyud.net/. Note that a lot of mirrors will likely feature the requirement that you use a numerical IP address to visit them.

[Added] The BBC says the DNS shutdown was due to the provider responding to massive DDoS attacks.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 12-03-2010 at 06:55 AM..
Old 12-03-2010, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Wikileaks.org down. Other sites available.

@ggreenwald:

Quote:
I'm just grateful not to live in China, where - I hear so often - websites are blocked for containing politically incriminating material!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Wikileaks.org down. Other sites available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
@ggreenwald:

Quote:
I'm just grateful not to live in China, where - I hear so often - websites are blocked for containing politically incriminating material!
Related: "More Joe Lieberman-caused Internet censorship."
Old 12-05-2010, 03:05 AM

Default See Dick Run?

Quote:
Speaking of Interpol, guess who?*

Quote:
An arrest warrant "will be issued and transmitted through Interpol," ...
More here.

[Added] Some good background here.

==========

* (Hint: The Cheynster may soon be called The Ball-and-Chainster.)

Last edited by bjkeefe; 12-05-2010 at 04:08 AM..
Old 12-07-2010, 07:02 PM

Default Clay Shirky on "Wikileaks and the Long haul"

If you're not up for reading the whole thing, here is the conclusion:

Quote:
I think the current laws, which criminalize the leaking of secrets but not the publishing of leaks, strike the right balance. However, as a citizen of a democracy, I’m willing to be voted down, and I’m willing to see other democratically proposed restrictions on Wikileaks put in place. It may even be that whatever checks and balances do get put in place by the democratic process make anything like Wikileaks impossible to sustain in the future.

The key, though, is that democracies have a process for creating such restrictions, and as a citizen it sickens me to see the US trying to take shortcuts. The leaders of Myanmar and Belarus, or Thailand and Russia, can now rightly say to us “You went after Wikileaks’ domain name, their hosting provider, and even denied your citizens the ability to register protest through donations, all without a warrant and all targeting overseas entities, simply because you decided you don’t like the site. If that’s the way governments get to behave, we can live with that.”

Over the long haul, we will need new checks and balances for newly increased transparency — Wikileaks shouldn’t be able to operate as a law unto itself anymore than the US should be able to. In the short haul, though, Wikileaks is our Amsterdam. Whatever restrictions we eventually end up enacting, we need to keep Wikileaks alive today, while we work through the process democracies always go through to react to change. If it’s OK for a democracy to just decide to run someone off the internet for doing something they wouldn’t prosecute a newspaper for doing, the idea of an internet that further democratizes the public sphere will have taken a mortal blow.
(h/t: Ryan Tate)

Via Clay: Glenn Greenwald is a bit harsher: "The lawless Wild West attacks WikiLeaks." I must say after reading it that in addition to the US government, there is no shortage of US businesses covering themselves in disgrace here, too. And by "US businesses," I include a discouragingly large number of media outlets.

[Added] Via Glenzilla: Why Is Wikileaks A Good Thing Again?

Last edited by bjkeefe; 12-07-2010 at 07:05 PM..
Old 12-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Clay Shirky on "Wikileaks and the Long haul"

Quote:
If you're not up for reading the whole thing, here is the conclusion:

[...]

(h/t: Ryan Tate)

Via Clay: Glenn Greenwald is a bit harsher: "The lawless Wild West attacks WikiLeaks." I must say after reading it that in addition to the US government, there is no shortage of US businesses covering themselves in disgrace here, too. And by "US businesses," I include a discouragingly large number of media outlets.

[Added] Via Glenzilla: Why Is Wikileaks A Good Thing Again?
On a related note, from the Department of You Can't Make This Stuff Up:

Old 12-07-2010, 09:04 PM

http://narconews.com/Issue67/article4273.html
Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
It gets weirder (via): "Assange Accuser Worked with US-Funded, CIA-Tied Anti-Castro Group."

[Added] Also: "Payback: Bank That Froze Julian Assange's Bank Account Has Now Been Taken Down By Hackers."

Last edited by bjkeefe; 12-07-2010 at 10:17 PM..
Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 PM

Default Hitchens: "Turn Yourself In, Julian Assange"

Hitchens says "The WikiLeaks founder is an unscrupulous megalomaniac with a political agenda."
Old 12-07-2010, 10:42 PM

I was waiting for someone to link that.

http://reason.com/archives/2010/12/0...e-and-the-holo
Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I was waiting for someone to link that.

http://reason.com/archives/2010/12/0...e-and-the-holo
Started out seeming like a pretty good debunking, but with the amount of yelling about TEH LEFT, his credibility diminished.

Not that it was that high to begin with.

Sorry that I'm not interested in it enough to give a more detailed response.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Hitchens: "Turn Yourself In, Julian Assange"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
Hitchens says "The WikiLeaks founder is an unscrupulous megalomaniac with a political agenda."
But the whole piece is worth reading, because it doesn't really match the headline.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Started out seeming like a pretty good debunking, but with the amount of yelling about TEH LEFT, his credibility diminished.

Not that it was that high to begin with.

Sorry that I'm not interested in it enough to give a more detailed response.
Shrug. I thought the article got a little boring too, and I don't have a lot invested in Moynihan. I just thought it was a fun jab at Olbermann, and it's worth reading another perspective on the CIA angle.

And because I'm so damn high minded, I'll resist the urge to insert a stock quote about the LWNM, with the transmission belt of Olbermann to FDL to you! (Joking, I promise...)
Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Shrug. I thought the article got a little boring too, and I don't have a lot invested in Moynihan. I just thought it was a fun jab at Olbermann, and it's worth reading another perspective on the CIA angle.
It's one thing to take jabs, and we all enjoy watching that to some degree or another, but it's quite another thing to write something in which you believe you have the facts on your side. Generally, mixing the two in one post has the effect of the former undermining the latter, especially when the jabs are taken at such a perennial boogeyman of the right. Except, of course, if all you care about is making the already converted clap harder.

(Not you, him. In case it wasn't clear.)

If you followed some of the links from my previous post, you'll see that this appears to be a chronic problem for Moynihan.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:09 AM

Default "I don't really have much of an opinion about Assange, ..."

"... though the official script seems to demand I take one," grumbles our Mr. Riley.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:25 PM

Default Attack of the clones!

Evidently, others are looking to start their own versions of Wikileaks.

(h/t: Charli Carpenter, "What Should Wikileakers Leak Next?")

[Added] More here on one specific group, OpenLeaks, started by a former (disgruntled) Wikileaker.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 12-14-2010 at 07:29 PM..
Old 12-15-2010, 01:28 AM

Default Re: See Dick Run?

Quote:
Speaking of Interpol, guess who?*

Quote:
An arrest warrant "will be issued and transmitted through Interpol," ...
More here.

[Added] Some good background here.

==========

* (Hint: The Cheynster may soon be called The Ball-and-Chainster.)
I thought the above was just an Internets rumor. But I keep seeing mentions of this story, which makes me think ... It Would Be Irresponsible NOT To Speculate, as they (used to!) like to say.

And now there's this, from Raw Story, via StrangeAppar8us/Rumproast:

Quote:
Halliburton reportedly agrees to pay Nigeria $250 million to drop bribery charges against Cheney, firm

The massive industrial conglomerate Halliburton has reportedly offered to pay $250 million to settle charges against its former chief executive, ex-Vice President Dick Cheney, in a multi-million dollar bribery case.

Nigeria filed charges against Cheney last week in an investigation of alleged bribery estimated at $180 million. Prosecutors named both Halliburton and KBR in the charges, as well as three European oil and engineering companies -- Technip SA, EniSpa, and Saipem Construction. Eleven Halliburton officials were arrested last month and freed on bail Nov. 29.

The charges allege that engineering contractor KBR, until 2007 a subsidiary of Halliburton, was among companies that paid bribes to secure a $6 billion contract for a natural gas plant. KBR pleaded guilty to the same bribes in a US court in 2009, and agreed to pay a $382 million fine. The Nigerian charges appear to stem from the US case -- though, in that trial, Cheney was never directly charged.

The $250 million figure would include a direct $130 million fine by the company and an agreement to repatriate another $120 million from Switzerland.

Representatives for Cheney and Halliburton met with Nigerian officials in London over the weekend.

[...]
I'm guessing Bigus Dickus approved of this and growled, "Just a cost of doing business."

And then shot a friend in the face, just to hear him apologize.

==========

[Added] The Wall Street Journal of all places is reporting the same story.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 12-15-2010 at 01:54 AM..
Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 PM

Default Copycats!

From "Introducing The Palestine Papers:"

Quote:
Al Jazeera has obtained more than 1,600 internal documents from a decade of Israeli-Palestinian negotiations.

Over the last several months, Al Jazeera has been given unhindered access to the largest-ever leak of confidential documents related to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. There are nearly 1,700 files, thousands of pages of diplomatic correspondence detailing the inner workings of the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. These documents – memos, e-mails, maps, minutes from private meetings, accounts of high level exchanges, strategy papers and even power point presentations – date from 1999 to 2010.

The material is voluminous and detailed; it provides an unprecedented look inside the continuing negotiations involving high-level American, Israeli, and Palestinian Authority officials.

Al Jazeera will release the documents between January 23-26th, 2011. They will reveal new details about: [...]
Looks like there's Twitter chatter building about this.

(h/t: @Joshua_holland1)