Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 09-15-2008, 08:32 AM
BhTV staff

Default And Always Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:45 PM

Default Re: And Always Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide?

If your conscience prevents you from doing your job, find a new job. Instead of focusing just on wacky xians, how about a pharmacist who is a devout Scientologist. Can he/she refuse to fill prescriptions for psychiatric drugs? How about a Jain. They respect ALL life. Can they refuse do dispense antibiotics because they kill living bacteria?

What about other professions? Can a xian biology teacher refuse to teach evolution?

If there are legal aspects of your job which your conscience cannot abide, find something else to do.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:47 PM

don't have time to watch this today, but: thanks for getting saletan, bob! just a i suggested in the requests forum . . .

i suppose this is a testament to the influence of Nikkibong! can't wait 'till i have a spare hour.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to bengolden Send a message via MSN to bengolden
Default Big head/small head diavlogs

Not sure whether this has been discussed before, but I really enjoy diavlogs where one person is sitting much further away from the screen.

Sorry for the complete lack of substance. Ummm, I enjoyed the discussion.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:32 PM

Nice effort by Rob to present one side as a neutral observer. Good effort by Will, too, to keep from cracking up at the "reasoning" of the anti-choice crowd. More than I was able to do.

P.S. From Will's article: who here knew that GWB has a sister? I don't think I've ever heard of Doro Bush before in my life.

P.P.S. When Will said someone called him a "neck-breather" for writing that article, I thought he was being called a laryngectomee. Which seemed a little harsh.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 09-15-2008 at 09:38 PM..
Old 09-15-2008, 10:44 PM

Huh. From his writing, I always imagined Saletan as a sixty-something.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:50 PM

Weird to find out what Will Saletan looks like after all these years of reading his columns.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:51 PM

Would it be possible to have a legislative disarmament on this issue?

The only thing that muddies everything in my mind is the fact that the federal government does so much in the medical industry. We wouldn't want the Federal government propping up an organization that is intentionally making life difficult for an objector when easy accommodations are possible, but as thprop suggests in some cases it would be better for the objectors to find another job.

Why would the state need to pass a law saying that organizations must provide certain services. I can understand why this may have been necessary in the jim-crow south, but would it really be that hard to find these services if it were not for these laws?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:19 PM

Default "maybe it is stupid but it's also dumb"

To quote Patrick Star.
This HHS right-of-conscience regulation strikes me as a really good argument against putting the government in charge of socialized medicine. If this is what government offers as a resolution for competing rights, liberties, and moral claims, then clearly government cannot be counted on to make reasonable, intelligent decisions on behalf of citizens.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:17 PM

Default Antibiotics

Antibiotics, have been proven to make bacterial infections more virulent, by eliminating the weaker elements of baterial strains. Moraly, I am apposed to the current usage this treatment. Specifically, because it endangers the lives of many, to speed the recovery of a few. Based on that opposition I choose not to provide this treatment, in disregard to the wishes of patient or their doctor's advisment.

From an unsubjective, legal, perspective this is analagous to the argument on the morning after pill or a variety of other circumsances. It is flawed for exactly the reasoning that concluded the case. It is ignorant to the wishes of the parties involved.

In America we protect the rights to moral freedoms; however, we must never sacrifice one persons freedoms for another's rights.

While we allow shop owners the choice to deny service, we do not allow them to discriminate based on race. While doctors are allowed to deny treatment they are not allowed to push away emergency patients.

We limit the freedoms of those who provide certain services to prevent the perversion of individual rights. Simply put a woman has a right to choose

In implementation this is an even more difficult measure. We cannot open the door for activists to put pressure on institutions to deny the rights of individuals. This is the same unclear legislation that led to the implementation of Jim Crow and Seperate but Equal

The only way this legislation can work is as follows. If an organization cannot operate without the assistance of a party, then that organization reserves the right to replace that party, whether or not their obstinance is based on morality.