Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Matt Yglesias: Creating Jobs by Cutting Wages

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarkang View Post
I didn't make that inference and like I mentioned above, I do not rate people's sense of morality in terms of inferiority/superiority in some objective sense.
Yes. Poor choice of words on my part. I should have said conservatives use all six and liberals use all six but use two less relative to conservatives.
Well, I guess I took "that's where the bias creeps in" as an indicator that the fact that liberals "only use four" to suggest that the liberal perspective was or was the cause of bias. Well, relative to conservatives, yes. But the conservative downgrading of fairness and avoiding harm relative to liberals could also be construed as a bias. The reference to the rest of humanity again seemed to suggest a unique deficiency on the part of liberals. But that assumes that things like democracy and a notion of human rights, also relatively rare across human societies.

If anything, Haidt's work seems to suggest who is the heir of classical liberalism in the old school democracy and freedom sense.

I also have to admit I was also thrown by the linkage to pathological altruism, which i have trouble squaring with the Haidt stuff. I suppose you could have simply been completely switching topics, but it seemed to be linked somehow and the inference I took was "ways that liberals fall short" or somesuch.

The only linkage that I could make looking back was that the really pathological altruism (the stuff that is violent as opposed to just pathetic) is essential an overly high emphasis on Authority or Purity or Ingroup. But those are all traits that conservatives tend to value more than liberals, and I strongly suspect you weren't trying to say that conservatives were slightly more prone than liberals to the violent forms of pathological altruism. You seemed, rather to be going from the risk liberals have for pathological altruism and how easily their scorn for tea partiers could lead to the gas chambers to some reason that liberals couldn't see their bias because they don't use all the dimensions. Well, again, they use some dimensions more than conservatives and some less. It's only bias if you are assuming a gold standard (in measurement theory terms, not Ron Paul economic terms), which gets us back to ranking.

As well, and to clarify earlier. I asked if you thought altruism was always or often pathological and you focused on the always, but your quote talked about how altruism can be good, but is bad in many ways.

Last edited by miceelf; 01-06-2012 at 01:07 AM..