Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 PM

Default Let's do the (1930s) time warp again: The Ronny Horror Picture Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Right. The set of priorities ends up being different, not only because of personal preference regarding domestic vs foreign policy, but because isolationism/non-interventionism, although a desirable goal for many, is the an issue which is further detached from reality.

In other words, it is the issue which is less likely to succeed in any way or fashion. It's goal for the distant future. In practice it isn't an achievable goal except for some slow gradual marginal change in perspective. But as far as I know, we may have half of our population dead with lack of health insurance, natural disasters worsened by AGW, an increasing economic catastrophe before we can see real progress in isolationism/non-interventionism. That's why it's so hard for many of us to look the other way when we see the totality of what Ron has to say. The negative aspects of his policy proposals are more immediate and tangible than any distant future dream of global peace (which I would support fully if I thought that the circumstances to achieve such goal were given).
I find it interesting that the very thing that Ron Paul's supporters love him for, and the very thing that his critics on the left give him credit for -- his "let's pack it in" isolationism -- is precisely what makes him anathema to me.

I should think we outgrew this stuff in the 1930s. One doesn't have to be a knee-jerk supporter of armed intervention everywhere to recognize that U.S. isolationism won't make the world more peaceful. Look around. How many conflicts have raged without any involvement from Washington at all? FDR understood that, Woodrow Wilson understood that, Kennedy understood that. It took World War II for the Republicans to learn that.

Geopolitics, like nature, abhors a vacuum. Ask yourself whether Asia — a part of the world in whose peace I have a personal stake — would be better off with U.S. bases in Japan and Korea closed, to name just one example of Ron Paul's "nonintervention" in practice, and China the dominant military power in the region. Pardon me for not thinking that that would be cause for celebration.

Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited by rfrobison; 01-02-2012 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: are>>is; make>>makes