Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > General comments on Bloggingheads.tv
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General comments on Bloggingheads.tv Post comments about our website here.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Can we get a sports-related DV up in here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
Different rules, different market, I think. There's no danger of these ideas being taken seriously, of course; but a different league structure would certainly have led to different mode of business.
I suppose. But I'd also point out that there have been successful -- at least for a time -- alternatives to the establishment pro leagues of the most popular spectator sports, and there is no shortage of examples of long-term success serving more niche markets.

I guess I think of it like the movie or music business -- sure, in this country especially, those at the top of the heap get a disproportionate share of attention and money. But there really are lots of ways to see movies besides the multiplex, or to hear music besides listening to a Clear Channel-owned radio station, and though I might wish more people displayed more interest in offerings besides the latest blockbuster or newest pop star, I really don't wish, even in the abstract, for some way of making them do that.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatfur View Post
I cannot speak for all sports fans (sorry graz), but I think your perspective IS coming from the outside looking in. You don't seem to have any idea whatsoever how a sports fan becomes a sports fan. For most of us it has nothing to do with the corporations running them. Actually thats quite silly. For most of us it was/is organic. It started out as you sat on the edge of a field somewhere watching the big kids play and finally being asked yourself when they needed to even up the teams. Its was playing baseball with your buddies at a local park where one had a battery operated radio that had the Twins game blaring as you tried to put your best Harmon Killabrew swing on a ball being pitched ...or running outside to play catch with a football at halftime of the Vikings game with the snow softening the blow when you dove for the ball like Gene Washington or playing boot hockey in the street with a tennis ball wrapped in electrical tape looking disgustingly at cars that drove by and crushed the snow chunks you were using as goal posts. It WAS playing catch with your father and taking that trip once or twice a year to catch a game and marvel at Rod Carew or Tony Oliva or. It was feeling those moments of adrenaline when you did connect, or catch it, or score and wondered if that is what Goldworthy felt when he did his shuffle. Not once in that development did you think about how much money you would make when you turned Pro or how much money Calvin Griffith made.
Well put, Whatfur. For me it was going to the local park where they played baseball in the summer but kickball in the spring and fall, and where the big boys in the park only let the girls join during kickball seasons. Baseball was my favorite sport, I think, because it was inaccessible.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
...and the dawning realization that there was something faintly ridiculous about getting emotionally involved in the success (or lack thereof) of a bunch of people younger than you playing a kids' game.
Exactly. I remember when during one of the recent years Red Sox series, I was failing to get sleep and having nightmares about the Yankees winning that I realized that maybe it was a little silly to let this shit be affecting my quality of life. Don't get me wrong I'm still a fan (I had to turn the game off tonight rather than watch NY celebrate) but ultimately my life won't be altered significantly by it. Although this was a particularly rough year with two of my enemies (Lakers & Yanks) winning but then again I got my Steelers and more importantly, Obama.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM

I'll second that sentiment.

I actually had a little moment of reverie thinking about some nights at the park as a kid playing with my friends.

thanks fur.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
what the subject says. it's been forever!

(apologies to Jeff.)
missed opportunity to do matt yglesias-bill simmons (or henry abbott of truehoop) podcast before NBA season opener.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarzan View Post
...(or henry abbott of truehoop) podcast before NBA season opener.
vs. the bloggers from http://freedarko.blogspot.com/.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:18 AM

I think the perfect fan arc is to go from 1.) completely ignorant to 2.) die-hard, knowledgeable fanatic to 3.) mature viewer who realizes it's really just a game. It's at 3.) where you get to enjoy the beauty and complexity of what's going on without giving yourself a heart attack every time the Sox/Yankees/Lakers/Cowboys etc., lose. You also minimize the likelihood of getting punched by all the drunken 2.)'s out there.

Incidentally how do you do the color text trick? I wanted to do that in our discussion of the evils of liberal purple.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
I think the perfect fan arc is to go from 1.) completely ignorant to 2.) die-hard, knowledgeable fanatic to 3.) mature viewer who realizes it's really just a game. It's at 3.) where you get to enjoy the beauty and complexity of what's going on without giving yourself a heart attack every time the Sox/Yankees/Lakers/Cowboys etc., lose. You also minimize the likelihood of getting punched by all the drunken 2.)'s out there.
Heh, yes.

Quote:
Incidentally how do you do the color text trick? I wanted to do that in our discussion of the evils of liberal purple.
Let your mouse hover over the link in the post where I linked back to this thread. Notice the &highlight=roger+angell bit in the URL. Note also, should you try this yourself, that the location within the URL is important -- &highlight=word or &highlight=word1+word2 or &highlight=word1+word2+word3, etc., must come right before the octothorpe (hash mark, number sign, pound sign, tic tac toe thingy).

(I discovered this, if you're curious, by noticing the URLs that get constructed when using the vBulletin search tools.)

[Added] A few others may be aware that there is another way to turn text red, but I am going to ask those in the know to refrain from posting this how-to, lest this forum take on even more of an appearance of a bloodbath than it sometimes already does.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 01-18-2010 at 11:47 AM..