Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:16 PM

Default Re: "Bite my shiny metal ass!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I just saw this retweeted, and it deserves everyone's attention.

Even sadder, from the tiny.cc link (which points here):

I applaud those protesters who so cleverly got up in Fred Barnes's grill. (ALINSKY!!!1!) They are a valuable part of the struggle. But the struggle is far from over.

</debbie-downer>
I heard Choi interviewed on the radio yesterday. Yes, it is sad, and he sounded sad, but he said that he knew this was coming and he seemed determined to continue his fight. And when asked if DADT were to be repealed, whether he would rejoin the armed forces, he unhesitatingly answered "yes."
Old 07-24-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
I heard Choi interviewed on the radio yesterday. Yes, it is sad, and he sounded sad, but he said that he knew this was coming and he seemed determined to continue his fight. And when asked if DADT were to be repealed, whether he would rejoin the armed forces, he unhesitatingly answered "yes."
Yeah, he seems like a stand-up guy, all right. My point was less about him personally and more about the general problem, of which his case is only one of countless sad examples.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
Video from Netroots Nation 2010, about two minutes long: "Lt Dan Choi gives Harry Reid his West Point ring & discharge papers."
Old 07-27-2010, 04:48 PM

Default "Big Falsehoods"

For reference: "Big Falsehoods: An updated guide to Andrew Breitbart's lies, smears, and distortions."

Includes:

Quote:
The "video evidence" of Shirley Sherrod's "racism" (NEW)

"Nationwide ACORN child prostitution investigation" (UPDATED)

Platform for anti-gay Jennings smears

Breitbart-promoted O'Keefe Census tape features selective editing (NEW)

Breitbart-promoted video falsely accuses Democrats of reconciliation hypocrisy (NEW)

Wild accusations over Gladney case

Breitbart's websites make baseless claim that NEA engaged in lawbreaking

Bertha Lewis' nonexistent White House visit

The Maoist Christmas tree ornaments

The ACORN "document dump"

False claims of community organizers "praying" to Obama
Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 PM

Default So, how are things going for the takeover of the Republican Party?

AWESOME.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 PM

Default Re: "Big Falsehoods"

Quote:
Follow-up tweet:

Quote:
At this pt. it's like @mmfa 16, @andrewbreitbart 0. Question: Does this summer league have a mercy rule? http://bit.ly/a7MBxe #tcot
(Obvious typo in original tweet fixed --bjk)
Old 07-28-2010, 02:33 PM

Default New -thers!

Forget about the Truthers. Forget about the Birthers. Forget about the Tenthers and the Seventeenthers.

Now we have ... the Thirteenthers!!!1!

Quote:
In Iowa, the state Republican Party is calling for the reintroduction and ratification of the original 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution a provision that the state partys spokesman admits is focused solely on Barack Obama.

The current 13th amendment bans slavery, and Iowa Republicans are not in favor of its repeal. They are, however, interested in reintroducing an amendment originally put before the states for ratification back in 1810. It outlawed any person who accepts a title of nobility from a foreign country from ever holding political office. The amendment was ratified by 12 states but never got the 13th state that it needed, and thus, never became law.

Some, however, argue that it was ratified and have a plethora of conspiracy theories to back up their assertion. These folks, known as Thirteenthers, believe that since the amendment would have banned lawyers and bankers from serving in government (since they joined the International Bar Association or the International Bankers Association, respectively), every act of the federal government since 1819 would be delegitimized.

But as Newsweeks Jerry Adler points out, for Iowa Republicans its really all about Obama.

Quote:
There are, of course, other implications of Thirteenthism, such as ensuring that the United States never again suffers the humiliation of having a president win the Nobel Peace Prize. That was just what the Iowa Republicans had in mind, according to [state GOP Communications Director Danielle] Plogmann, who wrote in an e-mail that the plank was meant to make a statement about the delegates opinion about Mr. Obama receiving the prize. (Presumably they didnt mind if, in the process, they were also making a statement about any American scientist or writer unlucky enough to win a Nobel.) Unfortunately for them, the Department of Justice looked into whether Obama needed Congressional approval to accept the Nobel under the existing emoluments clause, and based on the meaning of foreign state (which would not cover the Nobel Prize Committee) concluded that he did not.
(h/t: @EricBoehlert for the RT)
Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 AM

Default Re: New -thers!

Quote:
Forget about the Truthers. Forget about the Birthers. Forget about the Tenthers and the Seventeenthers.

Now we have ... the Thirteenthers!!!1!

(h/t: @EricBoehlert for the RT)
Damn that uppity nigra anyhow!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:46 PM

Default I want what TBogg wants

Quote:
Are You There God? Its Me, TBogg. Um. Please Please Please Please. Amen. Peace Out.
Know hope.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:07 AM

Default Re: I want what TBogg wants

Quote:
Re "Too Sad to Fight" from that link:

Forgive my old-fart memory lapse here -- was it S. Palin who walked off the set of Larry King because -- oh wait, no, it was that other beauty contest winner, somebody Prejean...

Yes, Tancredo's definitely proved himself to be in her class.

Last edited by listener; 07-31-2010 at 12:11 AM..
Old 08-02-2010, 04:18 PM

Default "... a wave of conservative interest in the Constitution ...

" ... -- often expressed in drives to repeal its Amendments ..."

From "Rightbloggers Stick It To The Man With Groovy Rightwing Revolution," Roy Edroso's latest round-up.

Quote:
If you can accept the idea that people like Sarah Palin and Jonah Goldberg are the modern equivalent of Sam Adams and Patrick Henry, you may also accept Christian's and Robbins' argument that, even if Congress goes Republican, a "wounded rampaging" Obama may, by "executive orders, regulations and Obama-made fiats," thwart the will of the People, and even steal the 2012 Presidential election. The authors cleverly avoided prescribing a remedy for this anticipated tyranny, but it clearly involves muskets, fifes and drums.
And this, long-time observers will not be surprised to hear, has Confederate Wankee spasming like never before.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:50 PM

Default Re: The Next Scandals??

Look into the crystal ball.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
Hey, they don't call him Tom "Tomorrow" for nothing!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
Awesome! Thanks.

The last panel is so "Ha ha it's funny because it's true"-true that it's almost not funny.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:05 AM

Default The REAL Racist!!!1!

Okay, MAYBE not. Maybe he just got sick to his stomach at the thought of being asked questions about his palling around with Andrew Breitbart?

[The Root via Wonkette]
Old 08-04-2010, 06:27 AM

Default Re: The REAL Racist!!!1!

Quote:

Okay, MAYBE not. Maybe he just got sick to his stomach at the thought of being asked questions about his palling around with Andrew Breitbart?

[The Root via Wonkette]
Food poisoning... USDA... Do I detect a whiff of conspiracy here?

USDA inspectors were bribed by left-wing activists to allow Michael Steele to eat tainted meat so that he would be unable to address the Black Journalists group, and therefore be portayed as a RaCisT!

Yeah, that's the ticket...
Old 08-05-2010, 02:51 AM

Default News from the heartland (Colorado), where there is absolutely no craziness going on!

Today, we are all black helicopter pilots (via):

Quote:
Republican gubernatorial candidate Dan Maes is warning voters that Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper's policies, particularly his efforts to boost bike riding, are "converting Denver into a United Nations community."

"This is all very well-disguised, but it will be exposed," Maes told about 50 supporters who showed up at a campaign rally last week in Centennial.

Maes said in a later interview that he once thought the mayor's efforts to promote cycling and other environmental initiatives were harmless and well-meaning. Now he realizes "that's exactly the attitude they want you to have."

"This is bigger than it looks like on the surface, and it could threaten our personal freedoms," Maes said.

He added: "These aren't just warm, fuzzy ideas from the mayor. These are very specific strategies that are dictated to us by this United Nations program that mayors have signed on to."
Bachmann/Maes 2012!

(pic. source)

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-05-2010 at 03:00 AM.. Reason: add pic
Old 08-09-2010, 01:30 AM

Default OMG SEARS IS SELLING PR()N!!!1!

Too funny.

You have to wonder how long those AFA* wankers burrowed through Sears's site to find those posters.

==========

* Yep. Them again. No rest for the perpetually OUTRAGED!!!1!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Default Re: OMG SEARS IS SELLING PR()N!!!1!

Quote:
Sears is currently offering giant posters of total nud**y on its website
Ahahahaha.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 PM

Default How will the base of the Republican Party react to this recent revelation?

About Obama's membership in a secret society ("NoZe"), while at Columbia?

Quote:
And so the NoZe Brothers would perform Christian songs like Rock Around the Cross; theyd parade around campus carrying a giant picture of Anita Bryant with a large hole cut out of her mouth after the former beauty queen proclaimed oral sex sinful; and theyd run ads for a Harlem strip club on the back page of The Rope. In 1978, the Columbia administration became so fed up with the NoZe that it suspended the group from campus for being, in the words of Columbias president at the time, lewd, crude, and grossly sacrilegious. During Obamas three years at Columbia, according to former NoZe Brothers, if the administration discovered a student was a member of the NoZe, the punishment was automatic expulsion.
Quote:
The strangest episode of Obamas time at Columbia occurred one afternoon in 1983 (although memories about all of these events are understandably a bit hazy, so the date might be slightly off), when he and a NoZe brother paid a visit to a female student who was one of Obama's teammates on the Columbia swim team. According to this woman, who requested anonymity because of her current job as a clinical psychologist, He and Randy came to my house, they knocked on my door, and then they blindfolded me, tied me up, and put me in their car. They took me to their apartment and tried to force me to take bong hits. Theyd been smoking pot. After the woman refused to smoke with them, Obama and his friend put her back in their car and drove to the countryside outside of New York, where they stopped near a creek. They told me their god was Aqua Buddha and that I needed to bow down and worship him, the woman recalls. They blindfolded me and made me bow down to Aqua Buddha in the creek. I had to say, I worship you Aqua Buddha, I worship you. At Columbia, there were people actively going around trying to save you and we had to go to chapel, so worshiping idols was a big no-no.
Oh, sorry. Transcription error. Not Harlem, but Waco. Not Columbia, but Baylor. And not Obama, but Rand Paul.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:16 AM

Default "Prop 8, Michelle Obama, Ground Zero Mosque: Are Conservatives Basically The Honky Party?"

Roy Edroso's latest wrap-up of what the right-bloggers are talking (yelling) about. Intro here, full column here.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Default Re: How will the base of the Republican Party react to this recent revelation?

Quote:
About Obama's membership in a secret society ("NoZe"), while at Columbia?

[...]

Oh, sorry. Transcription error. Not Harlem, but Waco. Not Columbia, but Baylor. And not Obama, but Rand Paul.
Must be a bit of a worry: Rand Paul is threatening to sue GQ!

This is quite a change from earlier in the day:

Quote:
Paul's campaign is brushing this off as a one-day story. "We'll let the tabloid stories sit on the supermarket shelf," said Paul's spokesman Jesse Benton.
But maybe they started seeing too many headlines like:

Quote:
Rand Paul's Bong-Fueled Kidnapping Spree, Idol Worship
And not just in tabloids, either!

GQ's response to the lawsuit threat talk?

Quote:
"We've vetted, researched, and exhaustively fact-checked Jason Zengerle's reporting on Rand Paul's college days, we stand by the story, and we gave the Paul campaign every opportunity to refute it. We notice that they have not, in fact, refuted it."
That's from The Plum Line. See also Wonkette.

I note the Paul campaign's use of the Limbaugh whimper: "drive by Journalism."

==========

[Added] Also: the dreaded The Question Must Be Asked headline ...

Quote:
Will 'Aqua Buddha' Derail Rand Paul?
... with eye-catching bold-faced bullet points!

Quote:
Problematic, Even In Kentucky

Troubling Non-Denials
And speaking of losing the base, one of the welfare recipients over at Koch Enterprises calls him "the Aqua Buddha man" and headlines his post:

Quote:
Rand Paul Distances Himself From Libertarianism
Ouch! If you've lost Matt Welch ...

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-10-2010 at 03:58 PM..
Old 08-10-2010, 09:47 PM

Default Never mind biology. You know what else? Physics is liberally-biased!!!1!

"E=mc Is a Liberal Conspiracy."

If it says so in The Trustworthy Encyclopedia, then it MUST be true.

Although ... Phyllis Schlafly's son is evidently a little butthurt. Here's a partial screengrab of his Very Important Project's current home page:

What's worse, fundie wingnut math or fundie wingnut attempts at humor?

PK happened to blog about this ("First They Came For The Climate Scientists") BECAUSE HE'S A LIEBRUL and that caused Tom Tomorrow to email him a link to his latest comic.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-11-2010 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: link fixes
Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 AM

Default Leading conservative intellectual steals the wrong material?

John Holbo:

Quote:
Sigh

What a world. You go and write a too-long post in which you raise the obviously impossible possibility that someone might argue that gay marriage is like cigarettes i.e. you can get cancer second-hand while apologizing for the sheer, silly disanalogousness of the analogy. And then Jonah Goldberg comes up with the brilliant idea that if you support gay marriage on libertarian grounds [as Glenn Greenwald does] why then how can you support anti-smoking legislation? Riddle me that!
I wonder if it bothers Roy to be right so often.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:44 PM

Default Re: How will the base of the Republican Party react to this recent revelation?

Quote:
[...]

Quote:
Rand Paul's Bong-Fueled Kidnapping Spree, Idol Worship
[...]
Wow. This three-minute clip of Rand Paul trying to do damage control with friendly media is a must-see. Looks like the FoxNews and affiliates' knives are coming out!

(h/t: @EricBoehlert)

==========

[Added] Even the rePubOLITICO is snickering:

Quote:
After Fox News hit, Paul avoids local TV reporter - in reporter's own studio

After he sought to put to rest questions stemming from the GQ piece yesterday in a friendly appearance on Fox News, Rand Paul declined to do an on-camera interview with the Lexington, Ky., Fox affiliate where he just taped his national interview.

It's one thing, of course, to try to defuse a controversial story by giving an interview to a sympathetic media figure but then to walk away from a local reporter in the reporter's studio is puzzling.

A clue, though, can be found in what Paul says by way of explaining why he doesn't want to discuss the matter.

"It won't, because the thing is, we answer once or twice and we're done," Paul said in explaining why the story wouldn't have legs.

Though not quite as explicit in the fashion of Sharron Angle explaining her media strategy, it's a pretty candid admission of how he thinks the press works.

But avoiding local reporters to take to more friendly national outlets is, in reality, only likely to stoke more interest from the Kentucky media.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:22 AM

Default TERROR BABIES!!!1!

Is Texas Republican Debbie Riddle the new Sarah Palin or the new Orly Taitz?

I don't know what's worse -- the word salad or the bedwetting. Eh, maybe the cold making shit up wins this time. Or maybe the flop sweat and paranoia about being "grilled."
Old 08-14-2010, 04:15 AM

Default MORE TERROR BABIES!!!1!

Quote:
Is Texas Republican Debbie Riddle the new Sarah Palin or the new Orly Taitz?

I don't know what's worse -- the word salad or the bedwetting. Eh, maybe the cold making shit up wins this time. Or maybe the flop sweat and paranoia about being "grilled."
Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas)?

You remember him! He was yelling about Terror Babies in June! And yelling at Israel to hurry up and bomb Iran, as part of the Tea Party Caucus's plan to Save Our Freedoms!

Well, I don't know if he has outsourced his bombing agenda to Jeff Goldberg or what, but he's still yelling about Terror Babies!

You have to love how indignant he gets, immediately, about "keeping me honest" and this whole lack of evidence business. He is not smiling like he is in that first link above! He is very frowny! Damn that biased liberal Anderson Cooper! For hating Louie Gohmert because he speaks with a southern accent! (Yeah, he actually said that.) And I wonder who taught him "your attacking the messenger?" This appears to be his favorite new phrase! One of the few he did not have to read off of note cards! (Or his palm???)

You must watch at least some of this video, so that you will know what our new Congressional Majority will look like.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-14-2010 at 04:34 AM..
Old 08-15-2010, 01:08 PM

Default They've made another list!

Led by (better sit down for this) Hateway Pundit and "American Thinker," we have the 2010 version of Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?

"How Bullshit Works, Part 335,392" is a must-read. Do not miss the Mercedes line.