Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Values Added: Tea Party Profile (Sarah Posner & Robert Jones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by operative View Post
I second these thoughts. I don't know why Posner and Jones are so shocked at a level of overlap between the Christian right and the Tea Party movement. Except that they likely haven't invested much time in setting out to examine the Tea Party, before this survey, beyond listening to vulgar denunciations of them.
I agree with this completely. I haven't had a chance to read the P.R.I. survey yet, but I've listened to a panel at Brookings discussing it's relevance to the upcoming midterms. I've been to several tea party events, mostly passing out Cato Institute literature and trying to engage with the younger people, and after a few hours, I ceased to be shocked at the overall level of religiosity. I was fairly skeptical that shrinking the size of the state in a meaningful way, i.e. serious entitlement and tax reform, was really the biggest motivator, and quite a bit of recent poll data seems to back this up. However, if they can provide energy to help check the economic ambitions of Obama and the Democratic congress and keep their eye on the ball instead of nonsense like undercutting gay rights and beating up on immigrants, I think it will end up being a net positive and a compromise I can tolerate.