Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 PM

Default Re: The Struggle For Reform In Saudi Arabia (Robert Wright & Hala Al-Dosari)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane1976 View Post
That's a good point, Ocean. I very much admire people like Hala. But, I do wonder if they might not have to get a little more agressive about pushing reforms.

I wondered also, when she mentioned relying on support from the outside, and she referred human rights groups, I think. I couldn't hear her all that well. I wondered what she thinks of statements and actions of the leaders of western countries, what they can do, or not do, to help, and whether the UN or any of its agencies seem helpful. And I thought about western feminist groups. They sometimes seem sort of oblivious to the issues facing women in other countries, but maybe they try to help in ways of which I'm not aware.

Thanks again to Bob for bringing us these diavlogs with interesting people. Appreciate his interview style very much.

I do admire what Hala is doing, and none of the above is intended as any criticism. I am just wondering what might help her and her people. I don't have a negative feeling towards countries like Saudi Arabia. They seem sort of like ancient treasures, rich in history, but they need to advance to make the lives of their people today better.
Kind comment, Diane. I don't have a negative feeling about the country, or the people that are placed in submission under the power of their rulers. I'm simply astonished by the anachronism of their culture.

I agree with you and share the feeling of admiration for people like Hala who risk so much for their cause. I wish there was more support for their cause in general, including women's issues of course.

Perhaps Bob can do a follow up diavlog with some of the questions that you posed. They seem to be important in order to know how much external help may be feasible, since sometimes it could also be seen as counterproductive in the context of such a rigid culture.