Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 AM
BhTV staff

Default The Week in Blog: Bill and Matt's Excellent Adventure

Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 AM

Default Re: The Week in Blog: Bill and Matt's Excellent Adventure

A New Yorker elitist is:

an elitist who lives in New York?

an elite member of the New Yorker staff?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 PM

Sounds like we might need to rename this show to "This Week In Matt Lewis's Wishful Thinking." As with his last appearance, the empty assertions of "Obama is in trouble!" and "Republicans are making a comeback!" are more than a little eye-rolling. I don't mind some spin, but please, let's at least have it based on some amount of substance.

Some of the other areas were covered more honestly, though, like the controversy over the Palin (non)appearance snafu, and I thank him for that.

I was interested to hear Matt say that Ross Douthat is "not a real conservative." I would have liked to hear him name who, in his view, would have been a better choice for the job Ross got, whether tempered by how realistic a shot the alternative(s) would have had for the job or not.

Another thing I would have liked to have heard: At around 11:30, when Matt was talking about the rightosphere being upset -- energized, even -- over the AIG bonuses, I wish Bill had asked him to square that with their hero, Rush Limbaugh (and other rightwing media figures), coming out so strongly in favor of them.

Finally, one more subject I would have liked to have at least been mentioned, since it did seem to generate some buzz in the leftosphere, was the revelation about Fox News's Greta Van Susteren's husband, John Coale, being very close to Sarah Palin. (A bit more on that here, if anyone's interested.) This is a fairly significant conflict of interest, one which GVS has not revealed, and has even denied. Or, I suppose, it would be significant if she were working for a responsible news outfit.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 03-20-2009 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: wordsmithing
Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 PM

its not all fantasy.

I am seeing the "Obama was bought and paid for by Wall Street and is serving them" meme take hold in the semi-loony left ( my personal acquaintances ). people that a month ago were optimistic, now feeling like Obama is one more corporate shill.

I have found it irksome to have to defend him from lefties a couple of times lately.

I hope Obama is waiting for the rage against the banks to build so he can "reluctantly" step in and be more forceful.

we'll see.

Also - you gotta admit, this guy is at least a little more reality based than Conn.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:37 PM

Regarding Evan "The Blandest Man in Politics" Bayh's recent antics, here are a couple of pretty funny comments from David Waldman and Matt Yglesias.

[Added] Oops. Just noticed Waldman in the sidebar. Oh, well, it's worth a second link.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 03-20-2009 at 01:09 PM..
Old 03-20-2009, 12:41 PM

Speaking as a guy who is inclined to agree with Bill Scher some 90% of the time, I must say that I like the new guy. Affable, amiable, and generally good-humoured. (I had hoped for Bill Buetler - perhaps because of his Oregonian roots - but this fella will do just fine.) And, also, speaking as a heterosexual male - damn those are some striking eyes!

The 'momentum' discussion at the end was just silly, though. There is no indication that 'bellwhether' elections mean a damn thing. Democrats won the 2001 governers race in VA and NJ.

Remind me how the 2002 elections went for us . . .?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 PM

Who are "real conservatives" ?

Rush, Coulter, Steyn, Buchanan, Goldberg, RS McCain, Hewitt, Lowery, Bennett, Krauthammer, Levin, Taki, Ingraham, Hannity, Sowell, Lopez, Beck, Will, Malkin, Ace, Allahpundit, etc.

That's just the bloggers/pundits. All take various positions on various issues. However, all believe in the same core values of Reagan conservatism. And they don't spend their time attacking other conservatives for the entertainment of liberals and/or personal advancement.

Matt is correct. Parker will end up at Huff-Puff. And so will Frum - unless he joins David Brock at Media Matters. Both are mediocrities who've become famous by attacking other conservatives. They have nowhere else to go.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn_karate View Post
its not all fantasy.

I am seeing the "Obama was bought and paid for by Wall Street and is serving them" meme take hold in the semi-loony left ( my personal acquaintances ). people that a month ago were optimistic, now feeling like Obama is one more corporate shill.

I have found it irksome to have to defend him from lefties a couple of times lately.
I know what you mean.

Quote:
I hope Obama is waiting for the rage against the banks to build so he can "reluctantly" step in and be more forceful.

we'll see.
That's a possibility that sometimes occurs to me, too. Other days, I think the general feeling among those on the inside is the whole thing is so complicated a mess, and so teetering on the brink of disaster far beyond what we've already seen, that no one wants to do anything, for fear that theirs will be the little push that makes the whole thing explode.

Quote:
Also - you gotta admit, this guy is at least a little more reality based than Conn.
I'm going to reserve judgment on that call. Claiming the GOP is on a comeback roll, right after discussing the dissension over the Palin snafu and the ongoing wish to purge the impure, combined with the fact that the NY-20 race which should have been a GOP cakewalk is now a battle, combined with the plummeting in the polls of the GOP's approval ratings, seemed pretty out of touch to me.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:56 PM
JoeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcocean View Post

Rush, Coulter, Steyn, Buchanan, Goldberg, RS McCain, Hewitt, Lowery, Bennett, Krauthammer, Levin, Taki, Ingraham, Hannity, Sowell, Lopez, Beck, Will, Malkin, Ace, Allahpundit, etc.
Who is Will?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcocean View Post

That's just the bloggers/pundits. All take various positions on various issues. However, all believe in the same core values of Reagan conservatism. And they don't spend their time attacking other conservatives for the entertainment of liberals and/or personal advancement.
You mean apart from Rush attacking every member of the GOP who dares to criticize him; Coulter and Ingraham attacking Meghan McCain; Steyn and RS McCain attacking Kathleen Parker; Will and Krauthammer attacking Sarah Palin last fall; Levin attacking Frum, Ace attacking Bobby Jindal, Hannity and Limbaugh attacking those who criticize the AIG bonuses ...

Hey, I'm entertained.

Quote:
Matt is correct. Parker will end up at Huff-Puff. And so will Frum - unless he joins David Brock at Media Matters. Both are mediocrities who've become famous by attacking other conservatives. They have nowhere else to go.
LOL! Please, keep purging the impure. I'm loving it.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:11 PM
JoeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
Who is Will?
Oh, I get it. It's George Will, of course.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:40 PM

If Matt Lewis hopes to move to the "real Virginia," he should look at Spartanburg and points south.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:01 PM

Funny, I like Ross precisely because he is more like a "real" conservative, than most of the pundits. IE- he's more like the people I know in real life. Most of them are not 100% ditto-head sheep. They don't necessarily buy into everything the GOP sells, and they practice critical thinking about their own beliefs, they just happen to mainly fall on the right whereas I fall on the left. But yeah, by all means, kick them out. Keep the brain-drain flowing. Anyone who strays or dares to suggest the pragmatic approach of changing with the times, kick them out. Send them over to us. Your brightest minds are welcome in our discussions.

"Captain, I think I see an iceberg ahead. Perhaps we should change our..."

"Get him out of here!! He's obviously not one of us."
Old 03-20-2009, 02:58 PM

I like the dynamic between Bill and Matt a lot. They’re ideologically opposite but there’s an I’m having fun talking to you quality about their vlog that’s very appealing. I also enjoyed Matt’s recap of the current conservative infighting. Part of it is just watching on the sidelines and saying haha, but much was also his entertaining summary and observations. I don’t know Matt, I like you and I like Ross Douthat, and I like Ramesh, but I don’t like Rush, Ann Coulter or Hannity. You have to be careful not be be liked by those outside your group or else it will make you an outlier!

On Evan Bayh, I don’t think he’s going to get anywhere even if Obama’s plans blow up. We’ve crossed a threshold where too many things have gone massively wrong, and if Obama can’t deliver then all that’s going to do is make us search for someone who can, but in my humble opinion we’re not going to go back to the mentality that’s brought us to this state. I do agree though, that Obama’s execution of things big and small, from foreign policy matters, to Geithner, to the blotched reception for Gordon Brown, have been much less competent than I would have hoped. I am also not liking the way he says “hey, blame me” rather flippantly about the things that go wrong. He’s saying it too many times and without the proper gravitas, which makes the entire statement start to sound trite and like a marketing ploy that it is.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:05 PM

Well, President Obama stuck his foot in his mouth last night on the Leno Show. It looks like VP Biden is not the only one in the Administration who is prone to making gaffes.

John
Old 03-20-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
Speaking as a guy who is inclined to agree with Bill Scher some 90% of the time, I must say that I like the new guy. Affable, amiable, and generally good-humoured. (I had hoped for Bill Buetler - perhaps because of his Oregonian roots - but this fella will do just fine.) And, also, speaking as a heterosexual male - damn those are some striking eyes!
Take this as a compliment and not the wrong way nikki but I would have sworn that you were a woman! And it isn't your alias, which only makes me think of Motley Crue getting high, but something about the vibe of your posts that I really like though we disagree on some key things....

Last edited by Lemon Sorbet; 03-20-2009 at 03:08 PM..
Old 03-20-2009, 06:12 PM

how did he blow it?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:44 PM

Default Just so you know where he's coming from

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkjazfan View Post
Well, President Obama stuck his foot in his mouth last night on the Leno Show. It looks like VP Biden is not the only one in the Administration who is prone to making gaffes.

John
You have got to be kidding me, John. After all the whining your side does about "political correctness," this is what you're trying to make an issue out of?

Anyway, while looking for what bkjazfan could possibly have been talking about, I came across this, on the Clownhall blog:

Quote:
Obama Focusing on Leno, ESPN -- Not Economy
Posted by: Matt Lewis at 5:49 PM

I was on Cavuto today, talking about how Obama is focused on the NCAA tournament and Leno -- at the expense of the economy...
Noted for the record, for when the inevitable wingnut fanboys start complaining about critiques of Matt not being "substantive."

Also: lots of hilarious crickets. (And yes, he did talk about W in other regards; e.g.)

Last edited by bjkeefe; 03-20-2009 at 08:18 PM..
Old 03-20-2009, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Just so you know where he's coming from

Brendan,

Again, I am not on anyone's side, have been a non partisan for at least fifteen years, and didn't vote for either McCain or Obama. I thought President Obama's joke of comparing his poor bowling scores to that of a Special Olympic athlete was kind of crass. Apparently, he did too and apologized for it as did the first lady, Michelle.

John
Old 03-20-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Again, I am not on anyone's side ...
Sorry, I'm not buying. Bringing this up puts you squarely on the side of the perpetually fauxtraged wingnuts.

Especially when I think of all of the "crass" remarks made by Republicans that you haven't commented upon.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 03-20-2009 at 08:37 PM..
Old 03-20-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Brendan,

Again, I am not on anyone's side, have been a non partisan for at least fifteen years, and didn't vote for either McCain or Obama. I thought President Obama's joke of comparing his poor bowling scores to that of a Special Olympic athlete was kind of crass. Apparently, he did too and apologized for it as did the first lady, Michelle.

John

03-09-2009, 01:04 PM
bkjazfan

Re: Masonomics
Keeping Score.

There has been a drop of 53.7% in the Dow Jones from it's high in October '07.

Since Barack Obama won the election for the presidency in Novemeber '08 it has dropped 30%, the equity market has lost 1.6 trillion dollars and the economy has contracted 6.2%. Unemployment has gone south too: December's numbers increased to - 5.9%, January - 7.1%, February - 8.1%.

John

03-18-2009, 02:27 AM
bjkeefe

Re: Masonomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe
Blackadder and bkjazfan:

Did you see?:http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/11/bu...11markets.html

Please hasten to explain to me how this means nothing.
Still waiting ...http://instaputz.blogspot.com/2009/0...lling-dow.html

[Added] See also:http://www.balloon-juice.com/?p=18699

bkjazfan:

I am skeptical about your claim to impartiality in light of this typical example of your selective application of FUD. You've got some 'splainin' to do, que no?

By the way, I'm an Obama supporter. So in case you failed to surmise the full context of the "gaffe," allow me to spin: The President was disparaging his bowling prowess at the expense of the idea of the "Special Olympics."

So, as a politician and a gracious person, Obama apologized on general principles. Never intending to offend the venerable institution that is the "Special Olympics."

This is sort of like Sarah Palin rejecting stimulus funds that would be targeted for special needs education. Quite ironic in light of her parading her special needs child on the campaign trail as she promised to always support that constituency's needs. Actually, those two examples are not equally pathetic - guess which one is in my estimation?

Now that's partisan... Get it?

Last edited by graz; 03-20-2009 at 09:56 PM..
Old 03-20-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn_karate View Post
its not all fantasy.
we'll see.
Ignore the far lefty loons. There is no reasoning with them.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgajria View Post
Ignore the far lefty loons. There is no reasoning with them.
Indeed. As someone (Attaturk, maybe?) observed during the campaign, this is how some of the leftosphere reacts to every single bit of news about Obama.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:06 PM

Graz,

Actually, the unemployment in my state, California, is now over 10%. Today the CBO released figures of 1 trillion deficits with the Obama administration for years to come and this will surpass the ones racked up by GW who was a spendthrift, too.

John

Last edited by bkjazfan; 03-20-2009 at 11:30 PM..
Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Graz,

Actually, the unemployment in my state, California, is now over 10%. Today the CBO released figures of 1 trillion deficits with the Obama administration for years to come and this will surpass the ones racked up by GW who was a spendthrift, too.

John
I appreciate your equal opportunity context-free bashing by implication. But the point was whether you are aware of your penchant for supplying anti-Obama talking points? You're free to cut and paste anything you want, but without substantive context - such as what is the connection between the DJI and the Potus, what's the point?
Old 03-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Lyle

Living in Portland or Eugene emasculates the typical male. Hehe. I'm joshing, I'm joshing. Love Oregon. Fortunate are the people who live there.

I didn't know Nikkibong was left-of-center actually.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Lyle

Default the comment was crass

keefe,

The comment was crass, let's admit that much... but it's a minor issue that won't last. Nobody thinks Obama thinks less of the mentally challenged. We all make stupid comments like this in life... but he said it and needed to apologize for it. Even the Shrivers got on him for it.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 AM

Default Re: the comment was crass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
keefe,

The comment was crass, let's admit that much... but it's a minor issue that won't last. Nobody thinks Obama thinks less of the mentally challenged. We all make stupid comments like this in life... but he said it and needed to apologize for it. Even the Shrivers got on him for it.
Actually, I would not call it "crass." I'd say it was impolitic.

Glad you acknowledge the minor nature. This was my point. And as for the follow-up, my view is that John is free to say what he wants about the joke, but he doesn't get to bustle on to the forums to push it as a ZOMG!!!1! BLUNDER!!!1! OUTRAGE!!!1! moment, with a gratuitous side swipe at Biden to boot, and then protest when ridiculed for doing so that he's non-partisan and he's not on any side. This is behavior straight out of the Althouse/Kaus playbook -- claiming to be one thing while acting like another. It's lame and it's dishonest.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:00 AM

Here is an interesting take on the "...I'll take responsibility..." quote, a poor parody of the Truman quote "The buck stops here." It's from a (former) liberal psychologist that found redemption.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscivorous View Post
It's from a (former) liberal psychologist that found redemption.
For the record, she is not a psychologist. Or, at least, she does not claim to be. From her Bio page:

Quote:
I have a background as a therapist ...
and more here.

Anybody can be a "therapist," without any special education, testing, or certification.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:31 AM

Default I'll say this for Conn...

I think he was a bit better at this part of the discussions. I know that I've criticized Conn before for his often-dishonest and frustrating styles of debating, but I appreciate how he specifically brought into the discussion other people's blog-posts on the right (and not just because it saves me from having to read them).

I know that Matt is still new in this spot, and I do appreciate that he has his own opinions on these issues/subjects, but I wish he would include in his conversation more on what the general tone and content of the conservosphere is, and less just immediately responding with his own opinions. I want to know what other viewpoints are out there, that was a benefit of TWIB under Conn.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:52 AM

Know your sources department: A bit about one of Matt Lewis's preferred bloggers, Robert Stacy McCain (via).
Old 03-21-2009, 06:08 AM
Lyle

Not really, people are complicated folk. They're not the mere simpletons you think they are. You should respect people who aren't so lopsided in their politics like yourself. In my opinion, there is something dreadful about people who think their particular politics is spot on right.

This incident won't be small either if he keeps saying stuff of this nature though. It could aggregate with other mistakes and end up being a problem. He tends not to be as good on his feet as a lot of people think he is. And as long as the economy continues to suck, every little misstep will be jumped on.

Probably just a not-so-serious blip that even the WSJ gets.

"The Special Olympics took the opportunity to admonish that "words hurt and words do matter." Yet it's impossible to believe that Mr. Obama doesn't understand that these Olympians are great -- and the best way to show that would have been to treat them as tough enough to get past a wisecrack."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123759940253001625.html

Last edited by Lyle; 03-21-2009 at 06:27 AM..
Old 03-21-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
In my opinion, there is something dreadful about people who think their particular politics is spot on right.
Are you a self-hater, Lyle?
Old 03-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Lyle

No, but you should hate yourself more.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
No, but you should hate yourself more.
You seem awfully certain of your political views, Lyle.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Lyle

You don't even know what my political views are. I know yours though.

Ann Althouse supports gay marriage by the way... yep she's a dead ringer for a right winger.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
You don't even know what my political views are.
I wouldn't be able to give a complete picture, perhaps, but I've never seen you express anything but certainty on this site whenever you offer an opinion.

Quote:
I know yours though.
Points to me for honesty and openness, I'd say. And why are you ashamed of yours?
Old 03-21-2009, 05:20 PM

I lost all respect for the SO when this story came out ;-)

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50102