Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:07 AM

Default @ A Game of Thrones on HBO

I saw the first episode, it was very good. Check it out if you are a fan of the series (all human beings that ever read the series - EVERY one of them).
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 AM

Default Re: @ A Game of Thrones on HBO

I'm very excited, but I can't seem to find a practical way to actually watch the series until it comes out on DVD. Since I don't pay for cable, I can't just upgrade to HBO without adding about $65 per month to my bills, which strikes me as a bit steep for one show. I was hoping I could stream it through Amazon, but they don't seem to be offering. I think I may just have to drown my sorrows in the The Crippled God while I wait for A Dance with Dragons to come out....
Old 04-19-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
I'm very excited, but I can't seem to find a practical way to actually watch the series until it comes out on DVD. Since I don't pay for cable, I can't just upgrade to HBO without adding about $65 per month to my bills, which strikes me as a bit steep for one show. I was hoping I could stream it through Amazon, but they don't seem to be offering. I think I may just have to drown my sorrows in the The Crippled God while I wait for A Dance with Dragons to come out....
Oh, my silly friend. Learn to steal things illegally over the internet! Try sidereel.com or surfthechannel.com, just search for Game of Thrones on either site. Plenty of streams. And I very much enjoyed the first episode, can't wait for this show to really get rolling plot wise.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
If you have a friend that already has cable, (any except time warner or cablevision it seems), you can pay for them to add hbo at the nominal 12 dollar fee and access HBO GO

They are slowly trying to allow better access, still too slowly but there it is.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article.../SUB/304179967
Old 04-19-2011, 05:12 PM

Are they sticking close to the source material?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwatcher162536 View Post
Are they sticking close to the source material?
Pretty closely from what I can tell, though only one episode has aired so far. I figure each season will be 12-13 episodes long and cover a book. 12-13 hours should be enough time to flesh out a book decently if not fully, and it's started off well.

I'm not ultra nit picky about the details though, so I am more lenient than some.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:02 PM

Occasional B'head Alyssa Rosenberg has a guest post on Yglesias's blog on this topic that has a few dozen comments in the thread.

This is not something I know anything about, but I thought those who posted in this thread might like to know.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 PM

There's a piece on George R. R. Martin, the author of the novel A Game of Thrones, in a recent issue of The New Yorker. I haven't had a chance to read it yet -- I came across it in a print edition, while in the smallest room of the house. But I thought some of you might like to know.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
There's a piece on George R. R. Martin, the author of the novel A Game of Thrones, in a recent issue of The New Yorker. I haven't had a chance to read it yet -- I came across it in a print edition, while in the smallest room of the house. But I thought some of you might like to know.
I read the first 4 in the series last week. I can't imagine how annoyed i would be if i had read the first one back in '96. Definitely the first fantasy series that has grabbed me in ages. thanks for the link.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn_karate View Post
I read the first 4 in the series last week. I can't imagine how annoyed i would be if i had read the first one back in '96. Definitely the first fantasy series that has grabbed me in ages. thanks for the link.
A Dance With Dragons comes out in July. Also, you read all four of those books in a week?!?! That's over 2500 pages!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
A Dance With Dragons comes out in July. Also, you read all four of those books in a week?!?! That's over 2500 pages!
That's some recommendation, huh?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
you really think it's actually coming out in july? seems like you may be setting yourself up for some major disappointment.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
you really think it's actually coming out in july? seems like you may be setting yourself up for some major disappointment.
I can't find his announcement again, but it was Sherman-like in its determination to leave absolutely no ambiguity whatsoever.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I get a little obsessive/compulsive about reading - one night i finally put it down at 4:30 and then got up at 6:30 for work : )
Old 05-20-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn_karate View Post
I get a little obsessive/compulsive about reading - one night i finally put it down at 4:30 and then got up at 6:30 for work : )
Keep talking like this and I'm going to wind up re-reading them for the League of Ordinary Gentlemen's book club...
Old 05-18-2011, 11:15 PM

Last night's episode was one of the best hours of television I've seen in a while. Anyone else catch it?
Old 05-20-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Last night's episode was one of the best hours of television I've seen in a while. Anyone else catch it?
Sadly no. I'm going to wait on the DVD's to watch. But I'm obviously pretty unconcerned with spoilers, so I'm up for chatting about whatever you found interesting.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don zeko View Post
sadly no. I'm going to wait on the dvd's to watch. But i'm obviously pretty unconcerned with spoilers, so i'm up for chatting about whatever you found interesting.
SPOILERS BELOW...

I thought it was the first episode where we got a feel for how tangled the world Martin invented is. We get a lot more contenders to the throne, as Loras Tyrell talks Renly into the idea that he'd be a great king, we find out Varys and Illyrios are plotting with the Targeryns and plan to use the Dothracki's, and the Lannisters are well, the Lannisters. But then we also see a softer side of Robert for the first time. There's a great, great scene where he has his first real conversation with Cersei. She asks him if they ever had a chance, and he says "no". They discuss his dead wife for the first time (I forgot her name) and Robert says he can't even remember what she looks like. I just thought it was fascinating that they juxtapose all these new contenders to the throne, while simultaneously showing that it might not be such a great job after all. After watching Robert here, I wonder, "who the hell would want to be king?"

Last edited by chiwhisoxx; 05-20-2011 at 01:48 PM..
Old 05-20-2011, 02:06 PM

HERE BE SPOILERS

Quote:
SPOILERS BELOW...

They discuss his dead wife for the first time (I forgot her name) and Robert says he can't even remember what she looks like.
That seems strange. I just picked up A Game of Thrones for the third read-through last night, and there's a scene with Robert and Ned in the Crypt in Winterfell where Robert comments on how much the statue of Lianna looks like her. And speaking of spoilers, are you familiar with the big theory about what went on between her and Rhaegar and what exactly Ned promised?

Quote:
I just thought it was fascinating that they juxtapose all these new contenders to the throne, while simultaneously showing that it might not be such a great job after all. After watching Robert here, I wonder, "who the hell would want to be king?"
I agree, and would argue that ASoIaF's pessimism about political ambition only increases as the various claimants come to grief. After all, of the Five Kings that the war is named after, only Stannis is still breathing at the end of book 3.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
HERE BE SPOILERS

That seems strange. I just picked up A Game of Thrones for the third read-through last night, and there's a scene with Robert and Ned in the Crypt in Winterfell where Robert comments on how much the statue of Lianna looks like her. And speaking of spoilers, are you familiar with the big theory about what went on between her and Rhaegar and what exactly Ned promised?

I agree, and would argue that ASoIaF's pessimism about political ambition only increases as the various claimants come to grief. After all, of the Five Kings that the war is named after, only Stannis is still breathing at the end of book 3.
I am not familiar, although I'm not sure I want to be familiar. I've thought about reading the books, but now that the show has started, I think I'm just going to follow it and stay spoiler-free. I have my own theories about lots of stuff, but I'd honestly rather stay in the dark.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I am not familiar, although I'm not sure I want to be familiar. I've thought about reading the books, but now that the show has started, I think I'm just going to follow it and stay spoiler-free. I have my own theories about lots of stuff, but I'd honestly rather stay in the dark.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you hadn't read the books. If you're only as far along as the show, then I've already said far too much. Well let's back up a tic. Who do you think tried to have Bran killed? What do you think of Jaime?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you hadn't read the books. If you're only as far along as the show, then I've already said far too much. Well let's back up a tic. Who do you think tried to have Bran killed? What do you think of Jaime?
Do you mean who conspired to try and kill Bran? In the show, it's portrayed as Bran climbing up into a tower at Winterfell while Cersei and Jaime are...incesting. Is that a verb? Jaime then just shoves him out of the tower. I don't know if it's less clear than that in the books. In the show, Cat thinks Tyrion conspired to kill Bran as well, but that doesn't seem to make any sense. As for Jaime, I don't like him so far, and I'm not sure we're supposed to. One of the mildly frustrating aspects so far is that this show was billed as "no good guys, no bad guys" but certain characters in the show (namely Jaime, and to a lesser extent Cersei and Robert) have been portrayed as just straight douchebags so far.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Do you mean who conspired to try and kill Bran? In the show, it's portrayed as Bran climbing up into a tower at Winterfell while Cersei and Jaime are...incesting. Is that a verb? Jaime then just shoves him out of the tower. I don't know if it's less clear than that in the books. In the show, Cat thinks Tyrion conspired to kill Bran as well, but that doesn't seem to make any sense. As for Jaime, I don't like him so far, and I'm not sure we're supposed to. One of the mildly frustrating aspects so far is that this show was billed as "no good guys, no bad guys" but certain characters in the show (namely Jaime, and to a lesser extent Cersei and Robert) have been portrayed as just straight douchebags so far.
Nah, I was referring to the guy with the knife that tries to kill Bran after he falls. As for the bad guys, trust me when I tell you that things will change. In the first half of Game of Thrones Martin spends a lot of time setting up a too-pat understanding of the good guys and bad guys that he starts relentlessly tearing down in later books. The Hound winds up looking very different a couple of books later, they make it pretty clear that in a just world Rhaegar would have won on the Trident...I could go on, but it would spoil the fun. To be sure, there are a few characters that remain detestable to the bitter end, but not that many.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Nah, I was referring to the guy with the knife that tries to kill Bran after he falls. As for the bad guys, trust me when I tell you that things will change. In the first half of Game of Thrones Martin spends a lot of time setting up a too-pat understanding of the good guys and bad guys that he starts relentlessly tearing down in later books. The Hound winds up looking very different a couple of books later, they make it pretty clear that in a just world Rhaegar would have won on the Trident...I could go on, but it would spoil the fun. To be sure, there are a few characters that remain detestable to the bitter end, but not that many.
Oh, I didn't realize you were referring to the assassins. I still think it doesn't make any sense for Tyrion to be involved, for a myriad of reasons. I mean the Lannisters (Cersei and Jaime, chiefly) are almost too obvious a choice. Up to this point, we haven't been presented with a lot of alternative possibilities. The only thing I can think of is Jon Arryn and his dying words "the seed is strong". It would be interesting if that was in some way connected to Bran. The quote seems to be referring to the child, and after meeting his own in the last episode, there doesn't seem to be much about him that's strong. Although, now that I think about it, it could refer to one of Robert's bastard children, which would explain why Arryn was searching for them before his death.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize you were referring to the assassins. I still think it doesn't make any sense for Tyrion to be involved, for a myriad of reasons. I mean the Lannisters (Cersei and Jaime, chiefly) are almost too obvious a choice. Up to this point, we haven't been presented with a lot of alternative possibilities. The only thing I can think of is Jon Arryn and his dying words "the seed is strong". It would be interesting if that was in some way connected to Bran. The quote seems to be referring to the child, and after meeting his own in the last episode, there doesn't seem to be much about him that's strong. Although, now that I think about it, it could refer to one of Robert's bastard children, which would explain why Arryn was searching for them before his death.
You're on the right track with Robert's bastards, but I can't take this conversation much farther without giving things away. So let me switch gears a touch and ask you what you think of Daenarys and her Dothraki.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
You're on the right track with Robert's bastards, but I can't take this conversation much farther without giving things away. So let me switch gears a touch and ask you what you think of Daenarys and her Dothraki.
My concern about the entire Dothracki storyline is how unconnected it is to the rest of the story at the moment. The original purpose, as explained on the show, was that Viserys would field an army of Dothrack, somehow convince them to cross the narrow sea, and regain the throne. But the Dothrackis seem to (rightfully) despise Viserys, so it's unclear how that chain of events would unfold. Daenarys seems fine, and I'm glad she's finally pushing back against her brother's douchie-ness. I was disappointed to learn from a friend that they show had sort of screwed up a scene: Daenarys asks the horde to stop, and Viserys starts shouting at her, telling her she doesn't give him orders. One of the Dothracki whips him, and eventually orders him to walk (which I gather is really offensive in Dothracki culture). Except, in the book, it's Daenarys that orders him to walk. So I suppose with Daenarys showing evolving confidence, maybe she eventually decides she wants to take the Dothracki horde to retake the throne. But that seems to weirdly exclude Viserys. So I dunno. I'm sure it gets tied back in sooner or later, but it's just hard to see how it'll play out at this point.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
My concern about the entire Dothracki storyline is how unconnected it is to the rest of the story at the moment. The original purpose, as explained on the show, was that Viserys would field an army of Dothrack, somehow convince them to cross the narrow sea, and regain the throne. But the Dothrackis seem to (rightfully) despise Viserys, so it's unclear how that chain of events would unfold. Daenarys seems fine, and I'm glad she's finally pushing back against her brother's douchie-ness. I was disappointed to learn from a friend that they show had sort of screwed up a scene: Daenarys asks the horde to stop, and Viserys starts shouting at her, telling her she doesn't give him orders. One of the Dothracki whips him, and eventually orders him to walk (which I gather is really offensive in Dothracki culture). Except, in the book, it's Daenarys that orders him to walk. So I suppose with Daenarys showing evolving confidence, maybe she eventually decides she wants to take the Dothracki horde to retake the throne. But that seems to weirdly exclude Viserys. So I dunno. I'm sure it gets tied back in sooner or later, but it's just hard to see how it'll play out at this point.
Don't get too impatient on this one; Martin is playing a long game with Daenarys. I realized after I asked that the character development for Dani hasn't much happened by the middle of the first book, but i asked anyway because she's one of my very favorite characters. I don't think it's a coincidence that the characters most readers like the most are the ones that are rejected by Westeros's society and have to make a place for themselves, so it's interesting to see the different ways that Dani, Tyrion, Arya, Jon, and later Brienne (you haven't met her yet. Sorry) do so. And of course I don't see how anybody wouldn't like Ser Davos when you meet him in book two, but I'm getting ahead of myself.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
So I hear last night's episode was eventful. How are you liking the series? And man, Joffrey is a filthy little bastard, isn't he?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
So I hear last night's episode was eventful. How are you liking the series? And man, Joffrey is a filthy little bastard, isn't he?
I was really loving the series...until last night. There's no rational reason why what happened last night should annoy me as much as it did, but....I don't feel the same way after that episode as I did before it. I guess I don't so much care that they killed Ned, but that Sean Bean is gone now (he's the guy playing Ned). He's far and away the best actor on the show, and it's pretty disappointing that he's gone now.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I was really loving the series...until last night. There's no rational reason why what happened last night should annoy me as much as it did, but....I don't feel the same way after that episode as I did before it. I guess I don't so much care that they killed Ned, but that Sean Bean is gone now (he's the guy playing Ned). He's far and away the best actor on the show, and it's pretty disappointing that he's gone now.
At least you're not alone.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:24 PM

SPOILERS

Quote:
Bear with them! While Martin's bloodlust is impressive, he always throws you a bone after he kicks you. Besides, Ned's absence is going to force his children to grow up and start fending for themselves. The show will carry on fine without Sean Bean.

P.S.: and besides, with Sean Bean in that role what did you think was going to happen? Since when does he ever make it to the end credits in one piece?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
SPOILERS

Bear with them! While Martin's bloodlust is impressive, he always throws you a bone after he kicks you. Besides, Ned's absence is going to force his children to grow up and start fending for themselves. The show will carry on fine without Sean Bean.

P.S.: and besides, with Sean Bean in that role what did you think was going to happen? Since when does he ever make it to the end credits in one piece?
I had a feeling he might not last, because he's signed on to a midseason replacement show for ABC. Still jarring. Again, storywise I think it's fine. My annoyance with the story right now isn't really rational, and I think (hope) I'll get over it. And anyway, the rest of the episode was quite excellent as usual. Tyrion telling the story about his first wife was a great, great scene.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I had a feeling he might not last, because he's signed on to a midseason replacement show for ABC. Still jarring. Again, storywise I think it's fine. My annoyance with the story right now isn't really rational, and I think (hope) I'll get over it. And anyway, the rest of the episode was quite excellent as usual. Tyrion telling the story about his first wife was a great, great scene.
Story is perfectly rational when you realize that Joffrey is the embodiment of all human evil.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonIrenicus View Post
Story is perfectly rational when you realize that Joffrey is the embodiment of all human evil.
It's as if he got his negative personality traits from a Willy Mays ad. Ok, so you're already stupid and sadistic. But if you act now, you can also be impulsive, petty, and cowardly all for just five easy payments of $19.95!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
It's as if he got his negative personality traits from a Willy Mays ad. Ok, so you're already stupid and sadistic. But if you act now, you can also be impulsive, petty, and cowardly all for just five easy payments of $19.95!
based on the actor they got to play him, the parallels between him and draco malfoy are strong.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
based on the actor they got to play him, the parallels between him and draco malfoy are strong.
Draco may be an obnoxious and entitled little punk, but that was cold.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Draco Malfoy vs Joffrey is like this comparison between Voldemort and Sauron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz1wkq2Z-wI
Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonIrenicus View Post
Draco Malfoy vs Joffrey is like this comparison between Voldemort and Sauron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz1wkq2Z-wI
In Chiwi's defense, he hasn't read book 2. Up until he has Ilyn Payne kill Ned, Joffrey=Draco isn't quite comparing apples to orange-shaped globs of human filth.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
In Chiwi's defense, he hasn't read book 2. Up until he has Ilyn Payne kill Ned, Joffrey=Draco isn't quite comparing apples to orange-shaped globs of human filth.
yeah, I mean even so far what joffrey has done probably eclipses what draco did in 7 books in terms of awfulness. i'm fairly certain draco never actually kills anyone, and he turns out to be a more sympathetic character than expected in the 7th book. it's just the first thing that comes into my mind when I see an annoying, entitled, and evil little blonde kid.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
yeah, I mean even so far what joffrey has done probably eclipses what draco did in 7 books in terms of awfulness. i'm fairly certain draco never actually kills anyone, and he turns out to be a more sympathetic character than expected in the 7th book. it's just the first thing that comes into my mind when I see an annoying, entitled, and evil little blonde kid.
"Annoying" will be a less and less accurate adjective as time goes on. Let me put it this way: Draco is an obnoxious little punk, but if Voldemort had suspected him of treason and killed him, you would have felt bad. By the end of book 3, the reader is ready to actively cheer Joffrey's death and would prefer that it be unpleasant.