Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Positive Cardiovascular Health (Robert Wright & Darwin Labarthe)

Alright, I'll agree with everything you say. All I wanted to see was a few words about why it might be overly simplistic to say "my total cholesterol is bad." The reason is that there are many general physicians out there who have not educated themselves (through no fault of their own, they are incredibly busy trying to keep up with all the stuff that could ail their patients!) on this topic and do prescribe statins for high cholesterol (because this is what they were taught to do 20 years ago in med school).

It would be nice if someone who had watched this episode would have come away more educated (the opportunity presented itself many times) so that as a patient you could say, "Wait. Before you do something that drastic I've heard experts say that the situation is more delicate than 'total cholesterol'. Can we take a closer look at some of the details to see if statins are necessary?"

Sorry about seeming overly dramatic in the last post, but I was worked up about the claim that my post was about a "fad diet" when I had no diet recommendation in my post. SkepticDoc seems to think a "low fat" approach will keep cholesterol down (something I think there is no evidence or even proposed mechanism for), when in fact I'd claim that "low fat" is itself a fad diet that will be fringe in 10 or 20 years. Just because that idea is mainstream right now doesn't mean it won't turn out to have been a (terrible, terrible) fad.