Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 PM

Default Re: You Forgot About Poll-land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
A cliché, and a sad attempt to flatter yourself. I am not deranged about you, op. I just don't think you're someone interested in rational discussion.
Sadly that merely means that I am not interested in obsequiously lavishing praise on Barack Obama and all Democrats while flogging my side of the political aisle. Sorry but I'm not David Brooks, so you'll have to do something better than an ersatz Alan Grayson to really be of note to me.也许下一次。
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operative View Post
Sadly that merely means that I am not interested in obsequiously lavishing praise on Barack Obama ...
See what I mean?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
未能的。
Old 11-11-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
未能的。
You are indeed.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
未能的。
我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚
Translation: (My hovercraft is overflowing with eels)
Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 PM

Default Re: You Forgot About Troll-land!

Quote:
You are indeed.
I think in the future I'll start responding to your posts with a concluding quote of what your next reply will be. I'd say that I saw that one a mile a way, but really, it was much more than a metaphorical mile.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I think in the future I'll start responding to your posts with a concluding quote of what your next reply will be. I'd say that I saw that one a mile a way, but really, it was much more than a metaphorical mile.
If you can predict my response that easily, it doesn't say very much about the originality of what you're planning to say, does it?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚
Translation: (My hovercraft is overflowing with eels)
哎呀坏了!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
If you can predict my response that easily, it doesn't say very much about the originality of what you're planning to say, does it?
More about responses, because there's a fairly limited range of 你的 responses to a fairly 无限 supply of my remarks.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:38 AM

Default The Greene Party

From last week:

(h/t: Scocca, whose earlier election summary should have been all that was said, but sadly, he discovered, was not.)

Last edited by bjkeefe; 11-13-2010 at 06:44 AM..
Old 11-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Not4Navigation

Default Re: The Greene Party

Even though its Joe Scarface
this is rather depressing.

Barrack needs to rally people or I think all will be lost.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Default Post-Election Fallout

As in, what falls out of the envelope. Or, maybe, Post-Election Tune in Turn On and Drop Out.

Anyway, a story funnier than my jokes.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:15 AM

Default Pundit Predictions Reviewed

Robert Waldmann, whose blog Robert's Stochastic Thoughts deserves far more attention than it gets, indulges in a bit of well-deserved self-congratulations for going 8 for 8 in his electoral predictions. He then refers us to Media Matters, who:

Quote:
... reviewed Nexis transcripts for all available CNN, MSNBC and Fox News programs, as well as the broadcast networks' Sunday morning news shows, from October 31 through November 2. Media Matters documented each time a media figure or political analyst predicted the outcome or suggested an outcome was extremely likely and compared their prediction with reported election results, as of November 8.
Not a whole lot of bragging to be done there, especially if your name is Dick Morris.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Pundit Predictions Reviewed

Quote:
[...] Not a whole lot of bragging to be done there, especially if your name is Dick Morris.
More Morris comedy.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:23 PM

Default Re: The Greene Party

Quote:
From last week:

(h/t: Scocca, whose earlier election summary should have been all that was said, but sadly, he discovered, was not.)
More from the man who over 300,000 South Carolinians voted for:
http://www.free-times.com/index.php?...61611103888857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Greene
“I’m the next president,” Greene said, while sitting on a bench. “I’ll be 35 … just before November, so I was born to be president. I’m the man. I’m the man. I’m the man. Greene’s the man. I’m the man. I’m the greatest person ever. I was born to be president. I’m the man, I’m the greatest individual ever.”
Old 11-17-2010, 03:42 AM

Default Re: Alaska Senate

The prescience of Stephanie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
It's an internal fight in the AK Republican Party, but Murkowski winning this is part of her wing's hope that they will win the whole thing and control the statewide party again.
15 Nov 2010 (via):

Quote:
Murkowski passes Miller in vote count

The Murkowski campaign is all but claiming victory as Sen. Lisa Murkowski leads Joe Miller by more than 1,700 votes after Monday's review of write-in ballots.

The Division of Elections has now counted 92,164 votes for Murkowski and 90,458 for Miller. Murkowski's number will grow as the state continues to go through write-in ballots today, looking to see what name voters wrote on them.

More than 8,000 write-in ballots remain to be looked at. The trend since counting began last week has been for the Division of Elections to count more than 97 percent of them for Murkowski.
15 Nov 2010 (via):

Quote:
The rest of the 2012 polls...

[...]

In Alaska the big story is Sarah Palin's strength- or more precisely lack thereof- only 15% of her home state Republicans say she's their pick to be President, putting her behind Huckabee at 17% and Gingrich and Romney at 16%. When you see that lack of support for Palin in the state Joe Miller's apparent loss in the state's Senate election begins to look more and more understandable.
15 Nov 2010 (via):

Quote:
Lisa Murkowski: Sarah Palin Lacks "Intellectual Curiosity" to be President

Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowki told CBS News' Katie Couric today that she would not support Sarah Palin for president because Palin lacks the "leadership qualities" and "intellectual curiosity" to craft great policy.

"You know, she was my governor for two years, for just about two years there, and I don't think that she enjoyed governing," Murkowski said. "I don't think she liked to get down into the policy." The Alaska senator added that she prefers a candidate who "goes to bed at night and wakes up in the morning thinking about how we're going to deal with" important issues. (Watch at left.)

What's that word again?

==========

Bonus late-breaking comedy (16 Nov 2010):

Quote:
Senator leads; Miller wants hand recount

Sen. Lisa Murkowski enjoys an apparently insurmountable 10,400-vote lead over Joe Miller after the week-long review of write-in ballots. But the Miller campaign isn't giving up and says Alaska's computerized voting system is "suspect."

The Miller campaign wants the Division of Elections to recount the entire Senate race by hand, spokesman Randy DeSoto said Tuesday night.

Even subtracting all the votes counted for Murkowski but challenged by the Miller campaign, Murkowski would still be ahead by 2,247 votes. That margin appears to make Miller's lawsuit asking the courts to toss out misspelled votes irrelevant. There aren't enough misspelled votes identified for Miller to win.

But DeSoto said that the lawsuit is continuing and the campaign hopes a hand recount will pick up more Miller votes. There were more than 255,000 votes cast in Alaska's Senate election.

DeSoto noted the write-in ballots were reviewed by hand to see what name voters wrote in. "Given how close the vote totals are, Miller needs to be given the same opportunity of having all of his ballots inspected and counted by hand to ensure every vote cast for him is counted," DeSoto said in a written statement.

But Division of Elections Director Gail Fenumiai said the state doesn't do recounts entirely by hand. "Recounts are done using the optical scan equipment," she said in an e-mail.
Shorter Division of Elections Director Gail Fenumiai:

Quote:
Hit the road, Jack.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 11-17-2010 at 03:45 AM..
Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 PM

Default Re: One Week Since Election Day and ...

Re:

Quote:
In Alaska the big story is Sarah Palin's strength- or more precisely lack thereof- only 15% of her home state Republicans say she's their pick to be President, putting her behind Huckabee at 17% and Gingrich and Romney at 16%.
It's a combination of they know her too well, so don't buy into the myth, plus the hatred that lots of Alaskans develop for people seen to have dissed the state. Quitting as governor to pursue national celebrity would be seen by many as dissing the state.

Also, as is obvious, Alaska traditionally has seen no conflict between federal handouts and their form of libertarian-tinged Republican rhetoric (and nor did Palin -- nothing in her policy as governor is consistent with her new-style economic rhetoric or what Miller is supposed to stand for, it's just Alaska-weird enough that it gets passed over much more easily than Huckabee's deviations). So my impression is that lots of AK Republicans (and independents who vote Republican, of which there are many) see her as hypocritically wanting them to sacrifice their interests for her political ambitions.

That said, basically all Alaskans see their politicians as less than admirable, and the product of compromising and choosing effectiveness over principle (that applied to Frank Murkowski and Ted Stevens and applies to Don Young and most likely applies to Lisa Murkowski just as much), so there's some unhappiness there to be exploited, and Miller obviously was able to do that to a degree.

Last edited by stephanie; 11-17-2010 at 12:23 PM..
Old 11-17-2010, 04:40 PM

You're one of those people who uses linear mode, aren't you? (I am assuming you meant to reply to this.) Anyway, no matter, except to obsessives like me.

Quote:
Re:

Quote:
In Alaska the big story is Sarah Palin's strength- or more precisely lack thereof- only 15% of her home state Republicans say she's their pick to be President, putting her behind Huckabee at 17% and Gingrich and Romney at 16%.
It's a combination of they know her too well, so don't buy into the myth, plus the hatred that lots of Alaskans develop for people seen to have dissed the state. Quitting as governor to pursue national celebrity would be seen by many as dissing the state.
I wonder if this will be further aggravated by her "reality" teevee show. Will she be seen by Alaskans as trying to further dine out/cash in on their state? Or will they appreciate that she's presenting the state in a "look how great" way?

Quote:
Also, as is obvious, Alaska traditionally has seen no conflict between federal handouts and their form of libertarian-tinged Republican rhetoric (and nor did Palin -- nothing in her policy as governor is consistent with her new-style economic rhetoric or what Miller is supposed to stand for, it's just Alaska-weird enough that it gets passed over much more easily than Huckabee's deviations). So my impression is that lots of AK Republicans (and independents who vote Republican, of which there are many) see her as hypocritically wanting them to sacrifice their interests for her political ambitions.

That said, basically all Alaskans see their politicians as less than admirable, and the product of compromising and choosing effectiveness over principle (that applied to Frank Murkowski and Ted Stevens and applies to Don Young and most likely applies to Lisa Murkowski just as much), so there's some unhappiness there to be exploited, and Miller obviously was able to do that to a degree.
Probably true, although I wonder how distinct this is to Alaskans. I think Ed from Gin and Tacos put it pretty well in his election round-up, "The Mandate." Note in particular the list following the sentence, "The American voter has clearly demanded:"

Last edited by bjkeefe; 11-17-2010 at 04:44 PM..
Old 11-17-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
You're one of those people who uses linear mode, aren't you?
Yup. I almost always quote, however (which should put the reply in the right place for you threaded folks). I didn't here just because it was a quote within a quote.

Quote:
I wonder if this will be further aggravated by her "reality" teevee show. Will she be seen by Alaskans as trying to further dine out/cash in on their state? Or will they appreciate that she's presenting the state in a "look how great" way?
My suspicion is the former. I'm going to be there in just over a month, though, so I'll see if I can get any better sense.

Last edited by stephanie; 11-17-2010 at 04:57 PM..
Old 11-17-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Yup. I almost always quote, however (which should put the reply in the right place for you threated folks). I didn't here just because it was a quote within a quote.
LOL!

Quote:
My suspicion is the former. I'm going to be there in just over a month, though, so I'll see if I can get any better sense.
Looking forward to it.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
LOL!
Honest typo, which I caught before I noticed you had replied. I'll take credit, anyway (or blame the subconscious).
Old 11-17-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Honest typo, which I caught before I noticed you had replied. I'll take credit, anyway (or blame the subconscious).
Hmmm... I'm listening Ms. Stephanie, I'm listening. Tell me more about your subconscious...
Old 11-17-2010, 06:53 PM

Heh.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Alaska Senate

No wonder Sarah has a crush on him. I mean, this is some serious refudiatin' to the lamestream gotcha media:

Quote:
"Obviously, I am less cautiously optimistic than I was before."
-- Joe Not Yet Aware of the Fork In Him Miller
About that fork: anyone who reads, uh, all of them should have seen these headlines in Alaska's largest newspaper:

Quote:
Murkowski claims victory in Senate race
Quote:
Alaska GOP asks Miller to end campaign
Also: The never-fail to fail predictions of Instapundit!

Last edited by bjkeefe; 11-18-2010 at 03:44 AM..
Old 12-08-2010, 05:23 PM

Default Tying up a loose end

In case anyone cares:

Quote:
Democrat Wins Minnesota Governor’s Race

Tom Emmer, the Republican candidate for governor of Minnesota, conceded the race to the Democrat Mark Dayton on Wednesday morning, ending the last undecided governor’s race from the 2010 midterm elections.

[...]

Mr. Dayton, a former United States senator, will become governor in January, replacing Tim Pawlenty, a Republican who is considering a run for the White House in 2012. [...]