Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2008, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Throwing a Renewal Party

I think the country would benefit from a whole lot less anger attached to the abortion issue- and for starters, for both sides to acknowledge that this is an issue about which good people can disagree. I myself am that rare animal, a pro-life liberal, and I am most definitely in it for the fetuses. My pro-life values are informed by my life experience as a survivor of severe child abuse- I just cant stand the idea that in weighing the parents needs against the child, the parents get 100%, the child 0%.

I do think there is a way for Democratic and progressive politicians to get pro-life votes, but NOT the way Bob suggested. (If youre in it for the fetuses, you arent going to be moved by some Democrat saying hey, I dont like free sex either!.)

I think the path to compromise (for progressives) is to explicitly offer a commitment to realistic non-coercive abortion reduction: subsidized contraception and subsidized child care for low-income folk, for example. Abortion is increasingly a function of poverty- and the Republicans, while opposing abortion in their platform, are creating the very conditions guaranteed to increase the number of abortions.

And by the way, a fetus is only tadpole like with a microscopic brain and incapable of feeling pain in the first part of the first trimester. In the latter part of the first trimester (say, after 10 weeks) and the 2nd and 3rd trimesters, a fetus looks like a baby and has a brain and a nervous system.