Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2008, 01:02 PM

Default Re: The Skinny on Obesity

I think Ta-Nehishi left out something important about the low income people with diabetes-related amputations: correctly managing diabetes is not cheap. I spend about $150 per month on my diabetic cat (test strips, hypodermic needles, and insulin)- and a human being should be tested more times per day than a cat. It drives me insane that Medicaid will pay for an enormously expensive (and disabling) amputation, but will not pay for test strips. As a result, many low income diabetics skip the testing and try to go by how they feel, with disastrous results. (If we get a national health plan, one cost savings may be funding better diabetes management.)

Also, of course, food that's good for diabetics (vegetables and fish) is more expensive than stuff that's bad for diabetics (starch and grease).

JIM3CH, bhtv has featured an active duty US army officer.

By the way, for all the Megan-bashers, I totally disagree. I'm a woman whose been overweight all my life, and it's a sensitive issue with me, as my relatives have been bashing me over this all my life. I thought Megan's comments were extremely good, and there is NOTHING wrong with her mentioning her BMI.