Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2008, 06:22 PM

Default Re: The Week in Blog: Obama's Speech

I've read the entire sermon with the 9/11 comment, and the quote is not as bad if read in context. It's an expression of anger at the American political system, and absolutely not an expression of approval of al Quaeda or 9/11. The sermons express intense anger at the things Wright regards as wrong with the US, but I haven't seen a single quote that expresses hatred of whites.

There's much more to a person's relations with their church than the pastor's sermons. About 10 years ago, my Catholic parish had a priest from the Phillipines who had TERRIBLE views on women- and frequently laced his sermons with put-downs of women. (Example: "Why can't women be ordained? Because no woman can keep a secret, they'd gossip about what they hear in the confessional..."). I don't know if I'd call it "filth" but it was highly objectionable. I didn't leave the church because the church community and the connection with God was more important. I'd be shocked if I ran for office and this stuff, which I hadn't said and hadn't endorsed, was held against me just because I didn't leave the church.