Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2008, 11:37 AM

Default Re: about that funeral...

But I do blame Christianity (as taught at the time) and the American culture of the time for what happened to me. The culture of the time taught that the father of a family had an UNLIMITED right to physically discipline his children, and no one could interfere. (Likewise, when my mother consulted our priest about our family problems, she was told that her priority should be to placate my father to avoid divorce at all costs.)

Changing this required that people- a lot of people- start speaking up.

My father was not suicidal- there was a reason he focussed his angry compulsions on his children rather than (for instance) going into biker bars and picking fights with 300 lb. motorcycle toughs. He knew that there would be consequences if he fought bikers. If he had thought that he'd be dealing with the criminal justice system for beating his children, he wouldn't have been so ready to do so.

Although honor killing is not an Islamic doctrine, and is practiced by Christians and Druze in the middle east, and was formerly practiced in Italy, it IS considered acceptable in much of the Muslim world. (A recent attempt to impose serious penalties for honor killing in Jordan failed in the elected lower house.) Thus, I think the clergyman who said nothing about the wrongness of the murders was derelict in his duties, and Reza was wrong to condone it.