Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2011, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Education spending in Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledocs View Post
First you have to show that most of the increase in US spending per pupil is due to teachers' unions, not to laws about special needs children, English as a second language, changing textbooks and curriculum all the time, reducing class size (presumably partly due to union desires/demands, partly not), and so on.
It is unions that sell the lie that children need to be in small classes in order to learn. It is also, at least partially, unions that sell the notion that we need ESL classes--I don't think we do. And before you accuse me of being one of those silly "make English the NATIONAL language" people, I'll also note that I think that children should begin learning a second language (and then, in time, a third language) at a very young age--probably kindergarten. ESL disincentivizes rapid acquisition of the language and is, quite honestly, unnecessary--Hispanic kids aren't stupid. They can come in and get up to speed.

Teachers unions and the textbook lobby combine to push stupid, standardized curricula that includes buying certain dramatically overpriced textbooks from the big two manufacturers. It is a prime example of waste.

So, you have actually just listed several specific examples of teachers unions lobbying payoffs, which inflate the cost of education.

Quote:
If you're so goddam interested in the question, why don't you find out how teachers' salaries and benefits in Japan compare to US salaries and benefits?
Well that's easy enough:
http://www.worldsalaries.org/teacher.shtml

Takeaway: pay teachers less, get better results.

Quote:
I just think it's really reprehensible to say, on the one hand, that you want to do a dispassionate comparative sociological analysis, and then to write a sentence like that
Any dispassionate analysis will inevitably conclude with the realization that teachers unions are a cancer.