Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2010, 05:05 PM

Default “If I hadn’t been effective, I wouldn’t have been the target."

Quote:
Nancy Pelosi is a fighter

WASHINGTON — Even the most rightward- leaning Republican should be able to see something admirable in Nancy Pelosi’s approach to one of life’s more difficult experiences — a very public defeat. She has picked herself up, dusted herself off and walked resolutely back to the front lines of the political war zone, running for the post of House Minority Leader.

She embodies a lesson that parents try to teach their children, coaches teach players and preachers aim to reinforce with their parishioners: Life isn’t one success after another, so don’t give up. Keep trying.

Pelosi’s conduct during the bitter mid-term election season is especially relevant to women in political life: Despite venomous personal attacks, she didn’t complain about sexism. She didn’t whine that Republicans were mean, mendacious and condescending. (Are you listening, Sarah Palin?)

One GOP attack ad, drawing on imagery from “The Wizard of Oz,” cast her as the Wicked Witch of the West. Another compared her to the puppy-killing Cruella de Vil from “The Hundred and One Dalmatians.”

She took it all in stride, recognizing the venom for what it was — the price to be paid for her audacious leadership as the first female Speaker of the House of Representatives. “If I hadn’t been effective, I wouldn’t have been the target,” she told me Tuesday, estimating that the GOP ran $65 million in political ads denouncing her.
The rest. The last line might sound familiar.