Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > General comments on Bloggingheads.tv
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General comments on Bloggingheads.tv Post comments about our website here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2010, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Under-the-hood changes to our video player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
A complaint: if I pause the video and then click the "jump back 10 seconds" or the "jump forward 10 seconds" button, the video automatically starts playing again. This is annoying. If I pause the video, I would like to choose when it starts playing again. Often, for example, I pause a video to take a break, and when I return, I want to jump back 20 or 30 seconds, to remind myself of where the conversation was when I left off. (There are other use cases as well.)
Here's something I might have thought to check before, but I did not until now. It turns out that a request I had for the old video player is now implemented on the new video player: grabbing the triangle in the time bar slider and moving it causes a little balloon tip to pop up, showing the location as the triangle is moved. This obviates my use case above, where I said I like to be able to go back more than 10 seconds before resuming play.

Not sure if everyone else already noticed this aspect of the upgrade, but in case not, I thought I'd note it.

It is the case, however, that moving that triangle causes a paused video to start playing automatically as soon as the mouse button is released. As with the 10-sec jump buttons, this seems like an undesirability to me: if a user pauses a video, it should be up to the user when it starts playing again.

It's not a big deal, but if it turns out that upon lifting the hood, it's just a matter of flipping a switch, that would be a good switch to flip. (I have a feeling these two autoplay glitches are connected. And now that I think about it, they both may be connected to the setting that causes the video to autoplay upon page load, full diavlog or dingalinked segment.)

Last edited by bjkeefe; 10-25-2010 at 11:52 PM..