Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 07-16-2009, 01:56 PM
BhTV staff

Default A Good Chair is Hard to Find (Ezra Klein & Will Wilkinson)

Old 07-16-2009, 02:48 PM

Default Re: A Good Chair is Hard to Find (Ezra Klein & Will Wilkinson)

I've downloaded Will's paper and scanned it very briefly. Perhaps there will be some on the board who read it entirely in order to discuss it in depth, but I'll just take one of the aphorisms in the margins of the piece to look at briefly:

The evidence that the rich, as a class, are about to gang up and rig the political system in their favor is thin.

This statement struck me as poorly thought out, poorly composed. If one believes the rich act with intent as a class, I would think they would consider that this was not on the verge of happening, but was in fact a fait accompli. Also, the statement has a parochial, high-school inflection in the use of buzz words like 'gang' and 'rig'. It's inarticulate.

I haven't read the context of the statement, but it is suspended out of context in the margin there, so I'll suspend my response to it out there as well. I don't believe the rich as a class are organized internationally, or perhaps nationally, either, but to propose that the rich don't organized themselves in the community, or on the county or state level, to protect their privilege and interests, seems to me to be naive or disingenuous. It seems to me that the opposite of this would be considered an historical fact.

Last edited by holyworrier; 07-16-2009 at 02:50 PM..
Old 07-16-2009, 03:05 PM

from the summary:
Quote:
Income inequality is a dangerous distraction from the real problems: poverty, lack of economic opportunity, and systemic injustice.
I would love to hear what Cato's remedies for the real problems are, but I'm guessing this is one of those poverty is worse than inequality so let's do nothing about either deals. I won't hold my breath.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:41 PM

Writing in defense of the rich - a nice, comfortable gig for any inspiring intellectual.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcocean View Post
Writing in defense of the rich - a nice, comfortable gig for any inspiring intellectual.
Yeah, but on the other hand, being a self-professed champion of the poor gives you way more job opportunities and a shot at tenure.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:09 PM

Will is really good at parroting the Cato party line. To whit:

"Market liberals have a cosmopolitan, inclusive vision for society. We reject the bashing of gays, China, rich people, and immigrants that contemporary liberals and conservatives seem to think addresses society's problems. We applaud the liberation of blacks and women from the statist restrictions that for so long kept them out of the economic mainstream. Our greatest challenge today is to extend the promise of political freedom and economic opportunity to those who are still denied it, in our own country and around the world."

Good thing rich people - who get even richer off "globalization" - are in favor of "Freedom".
Old 07-16-2009, 05:18 PM

Will is a master of stating the obvious and in long form.

"What is your point Will? Spit it out!"

But I did learn that an IKEA refrigerator is essentially as good as a Viking

Ezra looked like he was reading the sports page.

Apparently we need to do something about this inequality thing but neither of them has a clue what.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:50 PM

Wow, Ezra keeps getting all dressed up now. That whole post thing must have increased his revenue, good for him.

On the issue of a good chair, it is one of the most important topics. Most chairs I have used are essentially crap. I make sure to have at least a high back leather chair, but have not gone to the point of those virtual thousand dollar office chairs designed to do exotic stuff.

I cannot bring myself to even think of spending 500-1000 dollars on a piece of plastic/wood/fibre.

Where is the generic brand that sells the same thing for a fraction of the cost?

It's an outrage. Anyway, if I ever find such a chair I will let others know.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm SO awesome!

will is so hilariously spineless it just makes me smile. he looks like he's about 5'2" as well. do any of you retards who constantly defend this guy have anything to say now? i could recognize this guy was a spineless douche bag apologist the second he started on this site and you idiots keep calling for his return. will, of all the times in history to spew your cato bs....why RIGHT NOW? i loved how ezra is so smart he immediately noticed the major flaws in your paper and then you started squirming in your chair thinking: "oops! i guess i'm wrong."
even if the middle class didn't have a ton of debt do you really think we give two shits about your dumbass theory given our current economy? regardless, the rich have had their tax rates lowered more and more for the last 50 years. of all the times to do this you decide that after investment banks rip everyone off, collapse the world economy and then go back to ripping people off (all because of "experts" like yourself wanted to change the rules in their favor) you decide the NOW is the time to be an apologist for the rich? THANKS WILL. YOU REALLY STUCK YOUR NECK OUT ON THIS ONE
what service will cato provide us with next??? maybe they'll do an expose on how white people are being discriminated against?
p.s. i believe inequality is closely correlated to gun crime as well so thanks again for looking out for the little guy.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm SO awesome! View Post
will is so hilariously spineless it just makes me smile. he looks like he's about 5'2" as well. do any of you retards who constantly defend this guy have anything to say now? i could recognize this guy was a spineless douche bag apologist the second he started on this site and you idiots keep calling for his return. will, of all the times in history to spew your cato bs....why RIGHT NOW? i loved how ezra is so smart he immediately noticed the major flaws in your paper and then you started squirming in your chair thinking: "oops! i guess i'm wrong."
even if the middle class didn't have a ton of debt do you really think we give two shits about your dumbass theory given our current economy? regardless, the rich have had their tax rates lowered more and more for the last 50 years. of all the times to do this you decide that after investment banks rip everyone off, collapse the world economy and then go back to ripping people off (all because of "experts" like yourself wanted to change the rules in their favor) you decide the NOW is the time to be an apologist for the rich? THANKS WILL. YOU REALLY STUCK YOUR NECK OUT ON THIS ONE
what service will cato provide us with next??? maybe they'll do an expose on how white people are being discriminated against?
p.s. i believe inequality is closely correlated to gun crime as well so thanks again for looking out for the little guy.
Why don't you just tell us how you really feel?

(What happened to Extreme Ironic Commulibertarianism?)
Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm SO awesome!

yeah, i couldn't help it guys like this are REALLY starting to piss me off now.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm SO awesome! View Post
do any of you retards who constantly defend this guy have anything to say now?
Yeah. Will is really good at asking interesting questions of authors not specifically attributable to Cato party line theories. (As in Free Will)

And speaking of Palin:

What is a dish that is made with cornmeal that quits before the dish is served?

palinta

(h/t)
Old 07-16-2009, 08:55 PM

Ann on the stimulus package 2:

http://www.popmodal.com/video/2914/
Old 07-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Whatfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcocean View Post
Ann on the stimulus package 2:

http://www.popmodal.com/video/2914/

Thanks for that.

A little bi-partisan healthcare polling.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatfur View Post
Dude . . . what you're selling . . .people aren't buying it. Ultimately, you're just polluting these threads with your inane links. You're obviously not here to engage with people on a productive level . . .you're here to instigate. It's boring.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Whatfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
Dude . . . what you're selling . . .people aren't buying it. Ultimately, you're just polluting these threads with your inane links. You're obviously not here to engage with people on a productive level . . .you're here to instigate. It's boring.
bong,

How about you maybe go read one of my links, develop an opinion of your own about it, compile that opinion into a readable response excluding personal insults and degrading remarks and you may be surprised by how you might be engaged. On the other hand if you, like so many here, prefer to address me ... oh... like you do above...or like you have recently by just back-patting those that are also addressing me ...oh...like you do above, well you are most likely going to be assailed similarily in my responses.

Or there is always another alternative, skip by my posts and my links, get all your news from salon.com and BHtv, and enjoy the echo chamber you obviously prefer.

Here's one you can start with...seems Obama is all of a sudden seeing his stimulus program just as I have been portraying it. Go figure.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:11 PM
JoeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
Whatfur’s posts are opposite from boring.
But I can see how someone, whose favorite type of entertainment is cheering up race rioters, finds message-board wit boring.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
Whatfur’s posts are opposite from boring.
But I can see how someone, whose favorite type of entertainment is cheering up race rioters, finds message-board wit boring.
You shouldn't have used commas: the relative clause is definitional, not parenthetical.

Why are conservatives uneducated about everything?

Beyond that, what the fuck are you even talking about? Race riots?

What do you mean, JoeKKK?

Edit: I really can't get over the grammar thing. Seriously, now: what is wrong with you people? Why can't you cough up a sentence without embarrassing yourself? I just don't understand it. You are mysterious.

Last edited by Ray; 07-16-2009 at 11:48 PM..
Old 07-17-2009, 12:04 AM

I really enjoyed that last huge reduction in inequality during the financial collapse. I got stiffed on a painting commission worth 5k by a Houston heiress who told me she'd recently become millions poorer. Hey, we gotta do it again, and soon!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm SO awesome!

here's a poll conducted by bill moyers:
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/07102009/watch2.html

it's a poll of only one person, though. and it also happens to be a person that worked in the insurance industry for years, realized he was probably going to hell, and then decided to do something "anti-dickhead."
Old 07-17-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyworrier View Post
I don't believe the rich as a class are organized internationally, or perhaps nationally, either, but to propose that the rich don't organized themselves in the community, or on the county or state level, to protect their privilege and interests, seems to me to be naive or disingenuous. It seems to me that the opposite of this would be considered an historical fact.
Yeah, you don't want to be a wacko conspiracy theorist. I'm sure the rich and powerful of Bohemian Grove, Bilderberg, Davos, Mont Pelerin, etc are just talking about the weather.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:53 AM

Yeah just a quick look at the influence of Homeowners Associations and Developers kinda says it all. To say that the wealthy don't organize and exert pressure to protect their interests, seems incredibly absurd on a number of levels.

Will is like Brink Lindsay. Great interviewer, thoughtful, smart and interesting. But he still lives in a world that believes Atlas Shrugged was a work of non-fiction and that economic S&D curves are the terrain rather than the map (and an incomplete one at that.) When either of them start going on their Libertarian rants they become almost insufferable. Although I still hope Free Will, will become a regular feature again at bhTv.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:07 AM
Whatfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
You are mysterious.
Can I call you Ray of Starshine?

I actually must be one of the intelligent conservatives (or the one) as I read Joe's note and even with those confusing commas I was able to decipher its meaning. Not sure it bodes well for you...being so easily thrown for a loop.

I then went back, due to your anal-puckered response here, and perused a number of your previous comments. With every successive post read; I became increasingly bewildered by the fact that nikkibong had not visited upon you something similar as she has me here.

I'm guessing bowtie, Saab, and a laundry that you habitually scold for not adding enough starch in you shirts. I'm sensing a life of frustration obviously caused by the dullards around you not recognizing and paying heed to your astounding intellect. In any case, it is amazing that so spectacular a person could be the result of such low breeding. (as the commas threw you... I suppose I should explain that last statement as meaning...Yo Mama!)

You twinkle above us...we twinkle below.

Last edited by Whatfur; 07-17-2009 at 06:14 AM..
Old 07-17-2009, 06:18 AM
Whatfur

I am thinking that this makes alot of sense.

...but then it has always bothered me that congress members can serve one term and draw a paycheck for life.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
How about you maybe go read one of my links, develop an opinion of your own about it, compile that opinion into a readable response excluding personal insults and degrading remarks and you may be surprised by how you might be engaged.
oh em gee.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I actually must be one of the intelligent conservatives (or the one)
There aren't any. Talk to any neo-Nazi. The reason you people are racists is that you can't do anything right. Your stupidity--not just your stupidity, your incapability--frustrates you immensely, and this frustration leads to the place you currently occupy on the political spectrum.

Quote:
I then went back, due to your anal-puckered response here, and perused a number of your previous comments.
No; you didn't.

Quote:
I'm guessing bowtie, Saab, and a laundry that you habitually scold for not adding enough starch in you shirts.
See what I mean?

Those are cliches that describe a conservative. You can't do anything right!!!

Quote:
(as the commas threw you... I suppose I should explain that last statement as meaning
No; what the commas make the sentence mean is: "But I can see how someone finds message-board wit boring."

That is what they do to the sentence. They make it no longer say what he wanted to say.

This is the core problem with you and your kind: you don't understand how to communicate, nor do you realize that you're not communicating. It's like watching a monkey--not a gorilla, but a monkey--try and fail at sign language. Sure; we all know you want to ask for a banana, but we can see you jerking off.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:51 AM
Whatfur

Quote:
There aren't any. Talk to any neo-Nazi. The reason you people are racists is that you can't do anything right. Your stupidity--not just your stupidity, your incapability--frustrates you immensely, and this frustration leads to the place you currently occupy on the political spectrum.
Personally, do not know any neo-Nazi's. Do you talk out loud as you type? Spraying spit on you monitor? I am going to mock your ability to understand what others write later but it might be hypocritical as your sentences here are rather manically jumbled. "The reason why oranges are round is because ice cream has no bones."

Quote:

No; you didn't.
Unfortunately, I did. Still trying to figure out where you achieved the high opinion of yourself.

Quote:
See what I mean?

Those are cliches that describe a conservative. You can't do anything right!!!
Actually no they are not...ok there are a couple conservative bowties on TV.

Quote:

This is the core problem with you and your kind: you don't understand how to communicate, nor do you realize that you're not communicating. It's like watching a monkey--not a gorilla, but a monkey--try and fail at sign language. Sure; we all know you want to ask for a banana, but we can see you jerking off.
Unfortunately "you don't understand how to" understand. Although I have to say that last sentence (and a few previous) you sputtered is kind of like the cliche of "Do you walk to school or carry your lunch?" How about I just hand you yours when you arrive? Can I put you down for noon? Party of 1?
Old 07-17-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
How about you maybe go read one of my links, develop an opinion of your own about it, compile that opinion into a readable response excluding personal insults and degrading remarks and you may be surprised by how you might be engaged.
Nail meet hammer.

Speaking of relative links that can ignored in favor of insults etc, here is one more to make any thinking person wonder if the famed Obama transparency will be applied to a national health care system:

"At the U.S. Department of Labor, Hilda Solis, Obama's Secretary of Labor, is moving rapidly to rescind Bush administration reforms that greatly strengthened reporting requirements that enable union members to see, via annual LM-2 reports, how their leaders are spending membership dues. In a recent Federal Register notice, Solis agreed with the preposterous assertion of Big Labor leaders that there was no proof members would benefit by knowing this financial information, and that compiling the report was too costly and time-consuming.

Former Bush labor officials have also expressed concern over the Obama-Solis approach toward another union disclosure form, the LM-30, which requires shop stewards to report information needed to expose "no-show jobs" that funnel paychecks into union coffers instead of into an actual employee's bank account. Solis is reassuring the Big Labor bosses that she won't enforce the LM-30 reporting requirements."

Change you can believe in
Old 07-17-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Personally, do not know any neo-Nazi's.
I love it!!!

1) Yes; you do, and you also fantasize about physically overpowering black men at least once a week.

2) You are unfamiliar with the formation of the plural in written English, however.

Quote:
Unfortunately "you don't understand how to" understand.
The quotes are meant to indicate irony, right? Right?
"Right".

Fantastic! You're actually getting dumber by the post! Quick: try to draw a swastika without looking at your walls. I bet you can't figure out which way it's supposed to face.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Ezra's redefining of bipartisanship can only work if you look at the substance of the ammendments. Adding 200 ammendments that are just pork or are meaningless is not bipartisanship.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:09 AM

Being relatively new to the forum, I wasn't aware of the dynamics which were already formed. I was introduced to this site by another blogger with whom I communicate about all things philosophical and psychological (evo- psychological, mostly).

So there seems to be an ongoing political debate between the left, personed by almost everyone and the right, personed most visibly by whatfur. (which I suppose explains in some way why bjkeefe referred to me as 'you guys')

And in this particular thread whatfur posted a link to something Anne Coulter was saying. I agree that it referred to nothing that was being discussed. It would have been better had he just expressed his opinion without the link. However I do defend his right to post until such time as the powers that be remove that right.

I do however think that Coulter is perhaps the worst possible representative of the conservative side of things. She is a nasty piece of work and although I refer to myself as a conservative, I don't want anyone to put me in the same camp as she is in. She has absolutely nothing good to contribute and all she is doing is giving the left a big blond obnoxious target. (could she possibly stop flipping her hair around??)

I would like to think that the right has a better representative, but these days, sadly there doesn't seem to be anyone of any significance, although I do think there are good people still in the trenches.

I would offer one person with whom I can align myself and that person is Ron Paul. I think if any links should be offered, video of him standing before the world these many years telling the truth would be the most inspirational. There are lots of them about almost every subject.

And since this is a battle of ideas, winning hearts and minds, not turning stomachs, should be the goal.

PS. I hope I got all my commas in the right place and there is such a verb as 'personed'. I figure if impact can be a verb so can person.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Whatfur

Quote:
I love it!!!
1) Yes; you do, and you also fantasize about physically overpowering black men at least once a week.
2) You are unfamiliar with the formation of the plural in written English, however.

The quotes are meant to indicate irony, right? Right?
"Right".

Fantastic! You're actually getting dumber by the post! Quick: try to draw a swastika without looking at your walls. I bet you can't figure out which way it's supposed to face.
Nice of "the home" to allow you internet access. Do know that they are monitoring your communications as well as those rather odd web sites you FREAKuent. They even have tapped into the voices in your head, so I suggest using hand signals...you know... kind of like the monkeys (God knows NOT THE GORILLA!!) you described earlier.

Last edited by Whatfur; 07-17-2009 at 12:09 PM..
Old 07-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Whatfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
Being relatively new to the forum, .
Enjoyed the introduction. I am in agreement that in the best of worlds Ms. Coulter would not be out front as a spokesperson (Ummm I did not provide that link here BTW...just enjoyed it!). However, I have to say that much of what she says cannot be denied and in general with the likes of Maddow, Schultz, Franken, Oby, etc. etc. I personally don't have a problem with her style or her pointing out things like the irony of continuing to pick on a failed VP candidate from last Novemeber when one of the biggest gaffe-prone, boobs in all of politics is the successful one.

Yes there is some history here and I too started...way back...attempting to stay on the high road but found that there was a gang here that really do not want to hear the conservative side of things. Unfortunately, you will come to discover what I mean. In the mean time, keep up the good fight...and you really don't have to worry about your spelling or punctuation all that much as invariably the person who insults you on something you may have mistyped will produce a similar type of error themselves within a couple posts.

Last edited by Whatfur; 07-17-2009 at 11:53 AM..
Old 07-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Whatfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkin View Post
Nail meet hammer.

Speaking of relative links that can ignored in favor of insults etc, here is one more to make any thinking person wonder if the famed Obama transparency will be applied to a national health care system:

[...I]

Change you can believe in
Unbelievable. It is amazing that the liberals in this country are so punch drunk by having their guys finally in power that they accept the kind of power this Administration and its Congress is portraying. We are already regretting it...they will.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
Ezra's redefining of bipartisanship can only work if you look at the substance of the ammendments. Adding 200 ammendments that are just pork or are meaningless is not bipartisanship.
I thought it was hilarious. That'll teach them to mess around!

Really though, I'm all for accountability. It should be a lot easier to tell who wrote what in a bill. This business of slipping something into a bill and nobody being able to tell who put it there is terrible.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:16 PM

It wouldn't be so bad if the trolling and the flame bait just was kept out of the diavlog topics and relegated to an off-topic part of the board.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:32 PM

I agree that fighting the left has posed big and distracting problems for the right. WMD's (or lack therof) and waterboarding have their part to play also.

Rush Limbaugh is/was popular because he made being on the right cool, or at least not something to be ashamed of. He is/was articulate and funny. The problem with him is the ditto-head mentality and that people just parrot his ideas without having any of their own. I guess that's always the problem.

I used to put on MSNBC as my default for news, but since Matthews and Olbermann have taken over it's almost impossible to watch for more than five minutes. So now I have taken to watching Fox, which I also despise, but their rhetoric is somehow for me a bit more comforting, in the same way that you say Coulter is right, instead of alienating. That being said, the folks at Fox aren't saying anything that the left won't laugh at and unfortunately, rightly so. They do sound like crybabies.

It's really a shame that in the midst of all of this national upheaval, there aren't more sensible folks and sensible folks speaking reasonably. We are a soundbite nation. The diavlog which started this discussion was disappointing in that Will didn't say anything to take away. What exactly was he saying, anyway....plain refrigerators are just as good as fancy ones?

So since you all have been together for so long, I guess I can assume that this isn't so serious and that it's like a bunch of fourth grade boys in the school yard shouting "yo mama!"
Old 07-17-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymisher View Post
It wouldn't be so bad if the trolling and the flame bait just was kept out of the diavlog topics and relegated to an off-topic part of the board.
What specifically are you referring to? Or it this just a perfunctory, general comment?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
PS. I hope I got all my commas in the right place and there is such a verb as 'personed'. I figure if impact can be a verb so can person.
If you want (me) to be a little traditional (pedantic?), personified would have been a better choice in the phrase personed most visibly by. You could also have chosen epitomized to replace the first three words.

Speaking as someone who refuses to use impact as a verb, of course.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymisher View Post
Tried suggesting that myself, once. Didn't seem to meet with much enthusiasm. Which is not to say that it's wrong to raise it again.

Problem is, of course, is that in the course of a debate on some more or less substantive point, there isn't going to be universal agreement on what constitutes flame bait or trolling. Or ad hominems or gratuitous snark. &c.