Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Bloggingheads Bloggingheads is offline
BhTV staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,936
Default The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis)

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle

The first 30 minutes are all about Matt trying to find any, I repeat any, possible argument against the famous prank call to Walker. He states how there are more important news. He changed subjects when the James O'Keefe case was brought up for comparison. He then found that the union member hitting the female reporter's camera with a paper sign was more important. And I could go on and on and on.

It's true that the news from Libya are important. But so is the news from the Wisconsin governor and his Republican associates who have managed to take away the most fundamental right of a union: collective bargaining. And, if it just so happens that his actions are supported and directed by Money Power via Koch brothers, even more important to know. This is corruption, classic style. This is no different from what people in this country used to make fun of when referring to third world governments and their corrupted leaders.

So, yes, I think this story about what's behind Governor Walker's actions and the level of corruption that's being shown is far more important to be known by the public than the mishaps of a reporter.

I think I may stop watching this section when Matt participates. I liked his friendly style at the beginning, but I've realized he's sold to partisan lines with no shame.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2011, 03:13 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
The first 30 minutes are all about Matt trying to find any, I repeat any, possible argument against the famous prank call to Walker. He states how there are more important news. He changed subjects when the James O'Keefe case was brought up for comparison. He then found that the union member hitting the female reporter's camera with a paper sign was more important. And I could go on and on and on.

It's true that the news from Libya are important. But so is the news from the Wisconsin governor and his Republican associates who have managed to take away the most fundamental right of a union: collective bargaining. And, if it just so happens that his actions are supported and directed by Money Power via Koch brothers, even more important to know. This is corruption, classic style. This is no different from what people in this country used to make fun of when referring to third world governments and their corrupted leaders.

So, yes, I think this story about what's behind Governor Walker's actions and the level of corruption that's being shown is far more important to be known by the public than the mishaps of a reporter.

I think I may stop watching this section when Matt participates. I liked his friendly style at the beginning, but I've realized he's sold to partisan lines with no shame.
Well put.

Glad you finally realized where Matt is coming from.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Well put.

Glad you finally realized where Matt is coming from.
Yes, I wrote this comment a bit late.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-27-2011, 03:21 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Yes, I wrote this comment a bit late.
Only by a couple of years.

[Added] Even given the view I've had of Matt since about three episodes into TWiB, it really is amazing listening to him suddenly doing all this unselfconscious finger-wagging about bloggers and social media.

[Added2] If Matt wants to be taken seriously (when he's not writing about Justin Bieber, I mean), he'd probably do well to stop relying on sources like Jason Mattera. Especially given how he's just spent the last thirteen minutes condemning people who go up to politicians and try to catch them on camera with some out-of-nowhere question.

[Added3] Twenty-two minutes in, and I have yet to hear mention of anything that anyone else said in the blogosphere. I have to say, I don't really get a lot out of Matt Lewis's navel-gazing. I wish he'd stop indulging himself in this manner, and I wish Bill wouldn't let it go on and on.

[Added4] Matt's water-carrying (misrepresenting, not to put too fine a point on it) about the video the wingnutosphere is trying to make into A Thing is just idiotic. Especially in light of his opening monologue on how he's suddenly not too sure about this whole pushing cameras in people's faces kind of thing.

[Added5] All right. He's said "Tabitha was pushed down" three times now. That simply is not supported by the video. The video* shows her camera falling to the ground, and the audio clearly has her complaining about "that's my property." This is just excruciating hackery. Pushing Stop button now.

==========

* [Added6] Links to the video, as posted on YouTube by FreedomWorks, here.
__________________
Brendan

Last edited by bjkeefe; 02-27-2011 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-27-2011, 03:37 PM
chamblee54 chamblee54 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 319
Default Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle

Oxymoron alert.
chamblee54
__________________
Chamblee54
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle

That's about the same time when I stopped listening. There's only so much hackery one can take.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2011, 05:27 PM
ohreally ohreally is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 666
Default Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle

Obama always too late, too cautious???

Bullshit! Was he too late and too cautious when he cast the only vote (and veto) against the anti-settlements UN security council resolution on 2/18? A fucking resolution whose contents the US claims to support. Is making the US the skunk at the party and the king of hypocrisy anyone's idea of being cautious?

Obama is a Nixonian realist, utterly devoid of any moral consideration. The only reason he was slow on Egypt and Libya is that he had to wait until a winner emerged. Obama is a winner's guy. If you're on the losing side of the battle, the man has only two words for you: tough shit.

Last edited by ohreally; 02-27-2011 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-27-2011, 06:41 PM
qingl78 qingl78 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 37
Default Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle

To anyone who hasn't watched this yet.

There is nothing new here. So if you like to have your own opinions validated, that everyone who is "on your side" is right and true and good and everyone who is on the other side is a "thug" and invalid, then this is for you.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Regarding Paul Broun's handling ...

... of the assassination "joke," Matt would do well to read this.

(h/t: SkepticDoc)
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 AM
badhatharry badhatharry is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: eastern sierra
Posts: 5,413
Default Re: The Week In Blog: Skeevy in Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by qingl78 View Post
To anyone who hasn't watched this yet.

There is nothing new here. So if you like to have your own opinions validated, that everyone who is "on your side" is right and true and good and everyone who is on the other side is a "thug" and invalid, then this is for you.
cute
__________________
"By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it." Adam Smith
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Empact Empact is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Default Market Urbanism

Matt,

Re. your sentiment of "new urbanism without forcing others into it," there are a growing number of good resources showing how our current urban and suburban cityscapes are distorted in by government regulations and subsidies, and charting a path to correcting the distortions without forcing individuals into that lifestyle:

http://reason.tv/video/show/donald-s...-solutions-for
http://marketurbanism.com/

Finally, here's a short talk I gave a while back on the subject.

Last edited by Empact; 02-28-2011 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: title change...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-28-2011, 03:36 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: Market Urbanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empact View Post
Matt,

Re. your sentiment of "new urbanism without forcing others into it," ...
I think you have the wrong Matt Lewis.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-28-2011, 03:42 PM
stephanie stephanie is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,921
Default Re: Market Urbanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
I think you have the wrong Matt Lewis.
That Matt Lewis aside, it's something this Matt said in the diavlog.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-28-2011, 03:45 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: Market Urbanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
That Matt Lewis aside, it's something this Matt said in the diavlog.
Okay, thanks. I must've missed it what with all the spin about union thugs!!!1!, etc.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 PM
stephanie stephanie is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,921
Default Re: Market Urbanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Okay, thanks. I must've missed it what with all the spin about union thugs!!!1!, etc.
It's basically tossed off in the last minute or two.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-28-2011, 04:08 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa家h
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: Market Urbanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
It's basically tossed off in the last minute or two.
Thanks again. I did not make it that far, as noted above.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.