Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 PM
apple

Default Re: Prophet Guilty of Child Molestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarkang View Post
Let me put it to you another way. If you have a borderline questionable Muslim family in America (i.e., almost unreasonably orthodox), how religious do you think their kids will be? And then their kids after them?
One would assume that they would move toward the "mainstream". But to assume that this is always the case is misleading, considering the worldwide Islamic revival that has taken place over the past 20 years. Let's take Egypt as an example. I've often cited polls showing that the vast majority of Egyptians are barbarians. Has this increased or decreased over the past fifty years? Only two polls are available, both from the 2000s, but the circumstantial evidence is rather strong: I think it was the New York Times, but I read a very interesting article mentioning how older, relatively secular Egyptian women were shamed into wearing headscarves by their children and grandchildren. Anwar Sadat amended Egypt's constitution to either mention Islam more prominently, or to mention it at all, but he was murdered by radical Muslims anyway. And now, the new 'democratic' constitution, establishes Islam as the official state religion, and though it does not (necessarily) infringe on the rights of Christians, one still has to fear for the fate of the Copts, in the face of the cowardice and immorality of the worms the West calls its leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarkang View Post
Even if I agree with you that religion per se is a problem, civilization seems to be the cure. It's just that we don't have the money to go nation building in all of the Middle East.
I actually do not believe that religion, period, is the problem. Not every religion, not all forms of religion, not at all times. Maybe enlightened Christianity would do more good than harm, although it does seem to turn people into pussies (as does atheism). However, you once said that religion has raised the civilizational level of Afghanistan to its still very low current state, and I do disagree with that.