Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 12-10-2011, 01:00 AM

Default Re: The Week in Blog: Weird in Washington (Bill Scher & Kristen Soltis)

carkrueger - Glenn and Rush?

Pleeze.

You truly are totally fucking nuts...which wouldn't be funny if you weren't yammering about taking shit "seriously."
Old 12-10-2011, 06:37 AM

Default Who needs demand ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
Temporary cuts to payroll tax... When will it return to normal? How will we recoup the loss to Social Security? Isn't Social Security already in trouble? That's why the Republicans are balking at this. And Obama and Harry Reid are using it to demonize them, of course.
Like the rehabilitation of neo-cons, the rehabilitation of Supply Siders is well under way it seems. Besides tying a relatively trivial amount of taxes from the uber-wealthy to pay for whatever length of time the payroll tax cut is for, the big problem for republicans is the idea of demand-side economics.

Give the rich the tax cuts they deserve and they will bless us with jobs, when they get around to it, maybe not in this country or not really at all.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Who needs demand ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thouartgob View Post
Like the rehabilitation of neo-cons, the rehabilitation of Supply Siders is well under way it seems. Besides tying a relatively trivial amount of taxes from the uber-wealthy to pay for whatever length of time the payroll tax cut is for, the big problem for republicans is the idea of demand-side economics.

Give the rich the tax cuts they deserve and they will bless us with jobs, when they get around to it, maybe not in this country or not really at all.
You misrepresent the point of view, but that was the idea, wasn't it? Talking Points R Us. And of course you won't worry at all as America slides into "the rich are there to take care of us" mentality.

I think Nancy Pelosi sums up your ideas nicely. That's why we love her so much.

Last edited by badhatharry; 12-10-2011 at 01:04 PM..
Old 12-10-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I wonder if you could honestly explain what Pelosi was talking about -- what she meant when she said unemployment benefits should not be paid for. Can you do that? I don't think you can.

Hint: The Daily Caller headline is misleading and does not explain the context or the meaning of Pelosi's remark. If you are quoting her, especially in the context of "misrepresenting a point of view," it seems you should be able to show you know what Pelosi meant. Let's see if you do.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
I wonder if you could honestly explain what Pelosi was talking about -- what she meant when she said unemployment benefits should not be paid for. Can you do that? I don't think you can.

Hint: The Daily Caller headline is misleading and does not explain the context or the meaning of Pelosi's remark. If you are quoting her, especially in the context of "misrepresenting a point of view," it seems you should be able to show you know what Pelosi meant. Let's see if you do.
Really? you are going to defend this woman's incoherence? She had no point. She never does. She only manages to shred her talking points every time she opens her mouth. You must never listen to her, while I do...always with a barf bag near at hand.

My favorite part is when she says "we must pass the unemployment insurance" (hmmmm) and then there is the wonderful "we may have that on the table, we have to see" (probably like we'll find out what's in the bill when we pass it) and the lovely " it is essential for the macro impec...macro economic impact..." She has lost her mind if she ever had one.

PS and as far as what she meant by when she said unemployment benefits should not be paid for...she meant this "I, as a democrat, will pander to the American public anytime I can find a podium to stand in front of and tell them that we will take money from rich people to give to them and in that way I will insure that I will be re-elected so that I can continue to suck at the public tit".

Last edited by badhatharry; 12-10-2011 at 01:33 PM..
Old 12-10-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Really? you are going to defend this woman's incoherence? She had no point. She never does. She only manages to shred her talking points every time she opens her mouth. You must never listen to her, while I do...always with a barf bag near at hand.

My favorite part is when she says "we must pass the unemployment insurance" (hmmmm) and then there is the wonderful "we may have that on the table, we have to see" (probably like we'll find out what's in the bill when we pass it) and the lovely " it is essential for the macro impec...macro economic impact..." She has lost her mind if she ever had one.
I didn't think you could explain it -- so allow me.

The Republicans were demanding that any new spending be "paid for" with cuts to other programs. Pelosi said that the unemployment extension should not be "paid for" in this way. Conservatives then went about mischaracterizing the remarks by stripping them of their context.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I didn't think you could explain it -- so allow me.

The Republicans were demanding that any new spending be "paid for" with cuts to other programs. Pelosi said that the unemployment extension should not be "paid for" in this way. Conservatives then went about mischaracterizing the remarks by stripping them of their context.
I hope that's not what she means. We ought to simply not pay for them, as unemployment insurance financed by deficit spending is one of the most effective forms of fiscal stimulus we have available.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
I hope that's not what she means. We ought to simply not pay for them, as unemployment insurance financed by deficit spending is one of the most effective forms of fiscal stimulus we have available.
Yes! That -- in bold -- is exactly what Pelosi was suggesting. Republicans wanted to cut a dollar of spending elsewhere in the budget for every new dollar spent on the unemployment benefits extension, thus, in Republican parlance, "paying for" them. Pelosi opposed these cuts, which meant financing them with additional deficit spending.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
You misrepresent the point of view, but that was the idea, wasn't it? Talking Points R Us. And of course you won't worry at all as America slides into "the rich are there to take care of us" mentality.
I have to admit, the speed with which you switch from complaining about your side being misrepresented to misrepresenting the other side is truly impressive.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:

I made 2 points. One said that republicans complained about taxing very rich people to offset a payroll tax cut for very not rich people. That is the a fact I don't see how it was misrepresentative ( if that is a word ).

As to the supply-side argument you can say that it is a talking point but I do not see much in the way of argumentation or policy, from republicans, that isn't supply-side in nature or certainly not demand-side. I don't see the falsehood in pointing out the republicans have no point to make about the lack of demand. The only points they are making are spending is too high and taxes are too high on the rich. They don't seem to have much of a problem complaining that the lucky duckies that don't make enough to pay taxes are somehow parasites or whatever the non-%53 percenters are called in the hallowed halls of the GOP.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:10 PM

This 1% business is getting old. Robert Reich about 15 years ago said that the top 30% are ahead of the financial eight ball and the remaining 70% are falling further and further behind. Now, it could be the top 20 or 25%. Smearing the top 1% is the easy way out. The hard part is dealing the bottom 3/4's. They have been sliding down the economic ladder for at least the past 30 years regardless of who runs Congress or occupies the White House.

Last edited by bkjazfan; 12-10-2011 at 07:16 PM..
Old 12-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Or perhaps more like this Natalie Portman:

Fear not. My hair is pulled back this week, but it's still there.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen Soltis View Post
Fear not. My hair is pulled back this week, but it's still there.
Heh, I thought so. Good, Kristen. You have beautiful hair. Enjoy it.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Republicans at war

Quote:
if you haven't read this,

I thought it was quite good.
I thought so too.

This one by Meade is also interesting, helps understand US politics and foreign policy.

As I was reading this, I expected him to mention Bush II and the Tea Party, and the Republican candidates, at least the attempts at image or rhetoric, because all that would fit in. But, it seems to have been written in the Clinton years.

The Jacksonian tradition.

"For foreigners and for some Americans, the Jacksonian tradition is the least impressive in American politics."

I'd say that's an understatement, at least for foreigners.

http://denbeste.nu/external/Mead01.html

Last edited by Diane1976; 12-11-2011 at 10:30 PM..
Old 12-11-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane1976 View Post
I thought so too.

This one by Meade is also interesting, helps understand US politics and foreign policy.

As I was reading this, I expected him to mention Bush II and the Tea Party, and the Republican candidates, at least the attempts at image or rhetoric, because all that would fit in. But, it seems to have been written in the Clinton years.

The Jacksonian tradition.

"For foreigners and for some Americans, the Jacksonian tradition is the least impressive in American politics."

I'd say that's an understatement, at least for foreigners.

http://denbeste.nu/external/Mead01.html
There's a saying around here.... "Dance with the one's that brought you."

The Left forgets its roots.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane1976 View Post
I haven't thought through Mead's categories enough to decide if I think they are reasonable, but I posted Larison's latest critique of the terminology recently in the Loury/Mead diavlog thread. I thought it was interesting (including all the links within the linked post). However, I have not yet decided who I agree with. Larison is always worth reading, however.

(Here's one of the internal links, which includes a discussion of the "Jacksonian" category and continuing support for Iraq.)

Last edited by stephanie; 12-12-2011 at 11:39 AM..
Old 12-13-2011, 05:57 AM

Default I really like this pairing

Both smart - great chemistry - more like this please.

As a data point, I wasn't paying attention to Newt in the 90s, so my opinion of him is based on the debates and, of the field, he seems to have by far the best combination of intelligence and lack of laughable craziness. I'm taking everyone's word that he has more baggage that the American Airlines lost and found and is a megalomaniac who will self-destruct. If he's going to self-destruct, and does so after winning the nomination, that would be great, but he makes me nervous because he's a good debater.